Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2005 10:24:55 PM EDT
Hello,

I'm contemplating on getting my 1st scope that will be used on all of my AR's. I wanted a TA01NSN but after looking at the boards, everybody seems to go after the TA31. I've shot with a NSN & really liked it. Is this scope or the TA01 dead in the water now? All advice & info is GREATLY appreciated!

Robert
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The TA11* and TA31* provide compelling features over the TA01*, namely the lit/BAC reticle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#2]
They are several hundred bucks cheaper than the TA11/31, which is pretty much their only advantange that I can see. Still, not bad by any means.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:22:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hello,

I'm contemplating on getting my 1st scope that will be used on all of my AR's. I wanted a TA01NSN but after looking at the boards, everybody seems to go after the TA31. I've shot with a NSN & really liked it. Is this scope or the TA01 dead in the water now? All advice & info is GREATLY appreciated!

Robert

TA01
NSN
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]
There have been combat vets from Iraq and elsewhere that have stated they like the TA01/NSN reticle for precision shooting, which either the donut or chevron couldn't provide for them.  It probably comes down to a personal preference, but the BAC is hard to beat.

Anyway, as with everything here on ARFCOM, it was TA01NSN last week, TA31 this week and TAXX next week.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:40:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Take a look through the actual reticle if you can first hand, and figure out which one you like more.  I personally like the TA-01 reticle better than the donut or chevron, but I haven't used the donut enough to really be objective yet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I've owned them all at one time or another.  All excellent optics.  All of em.

I for one still think the TA01NSN is a great scope.  If I had a choice between the TA31 and a TA01NSN....

I'd choose the Aimpoint and let someone else pay $1,000 for it.  For 300 yards and under, I'm good and in a tight group with my 4MOA dot, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#8]

The newer ACOGs BAC feature makes it faster to get rounds on target.  It is not as fast as a non-magnified red dot though.

The older type non-BAC ACOGs were state of the art once, but now they really don't have a place on first tier equipment. There are better scopes for precision and better scopes for speed. They are a has been.

I still keep a TA01 on my A2. It’s my museum show piece.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#9]
If you could not use the BAC feature because of vision problems..which is better between the NSN & the TA31F??? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks!

Robert
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#10]

The BAC adds brightness and color. That helps vision during the day.  I don't know of a vision problem that would not benefit from it.

The NSN will have a black reticle during the day and is much like a regular scope.  The advantage of it  (over a regular scope) starts in low light, when it finally catches up with the BAC models.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Final question..my distributer has a TA31 with a triangle reticle??? Do they come in three different versions? Doughnut, chevron & triangle? All replies are greatly appreciated!

Robert
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Yes.  

TA31 = Donut
TA31A  = Triangle
TA31F = Chevron

However, since you mention you have a vision problem, you should also take a look at TA11 models, because they are more forgiving to the eyes.  Because of the expense involved, you might want to actually shoot with several models before you buy. Your Hometown forum might be able to link you up with people that will let you try them out at the range.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#14]
trijicons i've owned,, ta01nsn, ta01, ta11, ta31f
trijicons i still own,,, (2) ta01's, ta11

i have to much phoria to make the BAC feature work accurately for me.  

also i think the BAC reticals obscure to much target at ranges out to 300 yards. under 200yards i am better with a aimpoint.

i prefer the ta01 for picking on rocks and various things that reside and scury in the desert better than a BAC reticle. i keep the ta11 because i love the extra eye relief and can run a BUIS.

seems like the BAC scopes are a jack of all trades master of none. they are not made for precision and not excellant under 100 yds.  rather they are a trade off or compromise, a well rounded scope for whatever may come your way. that being said i would take any acog for combat duty any day.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#15]

If you need lots of precision you need more magnification than the TA01's 4x provides.

If you just need to put a round in a specific area of the target that a Donut reticle obscures, an ACOG with crosshairs and BAC would be my next choice. Yes, you can have both. They have many models to choose from.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Does this mean TA01NSN's are going to start appearing on the EE for around $500???   Sure hope so - I'll finally buy one!!  I'm big on last year's tech at bargain prices....
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#17]
got my NSN for 400 :) ... Personally I dont think its dead because it still has a purpose. Anything with a purpose is a justified purchase for the person who is going to use it.  Yes the TA31 has the new technology... yes the TA01NSN and non-NSN are dated, but who really cares? As long as it fits your needs and you are happy with glass superior to anyother I've ever looked through.  Then be happy with it. I dont understand the purpose of degrading a peice of equipment that is no longer up to par with current technology. If this was a constant trend then no one in their right mind would own an AK. Not to mention the added bonus of no batteries and a scope nearly as durable as my rifle.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Over the years I've upgraded as better scopes became available.  Someone new to ACOGs is under no requirement to start with the older models and work their way up. It's best if they start with the most current technology, which right now is spelled BAC.

It's not a slam on older technology, which was state of the art in its time. The newer models are dramatically better. Red dots have gone through the same cycle of improvement. So have home computers. The TA01 came out when the IBM microchannel 386 was king. Neither remain first tier, although they still function fine for some people.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I've owned a TA31-F and my eyes just couldn't work with it.  I've thought long and hard about the TA01, and I don't need the BUIS of the NSN model.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#20]

The TA01 and the TA31 are so close, other than the BAC feature, that if you are having trouble with one, you will probably also have it with the other.  The TA11 series is the most forgiving, but it is bigger, more expensive, and has less field of view.  The reduction of FOV is preferred for some types of shooting.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll take a TA01 off anyone's hands who feels that they are old, outdated, and useless.  

Woody
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:53:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
trijicons i've owned,, ta01nsn, ta01, ta11, ta31f
trijicons i still own,,, (2) ta01's, ta11

i have to much phoria to make the BAC feature work accurately for me.  

also i think the BAC reticals obscure to much target at ranges out to 300 yards. under 200yards i am better with a aimpoint.

i prefer the ta01 for picking on rocks and various things that reside and scury in the desert better than a BAC reticle. i keep the ta11 because i love the extra eye relief and can run a BUIS.

seems like the BAC scopes are a jack of all trades master of none. they are not made for precision and not excellant under 100 yds.  rather they are a trade off or compromise, a well rounded scope for whatever may come your way. that being said i would take any acog for combat duty any day.

What is phoria ?
I am having a bit of trouble getting the BAC working for myself also.
. . .maybe I need to put more time in "training" with it. ??

read this first;;
trijicon.com/aiming.cfm

phoria is a condition that prevents someone from using the BAC. what happens is that as i look with two eyes opens and get a fix on the target with 2 eyes open my point of impact with be shirted to one side or the other by a matter of inches or feet depending on distance.

when i close the non-aiming eye to check the location of the reticle it is not where its supposed to be.

i wish i had my ACOG books at home or i could qoute from it.

here is another link,

www.keystoneview.com/prod_des/dsm/5218_FPCombPhot.asp
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm thinking very much about getting a TA31F but like a lot of people am worried if the BAC will work for me also.since I have vision problems.I'm right handed but shoot left handed and my left eye is very dominant.I can't even close my dominant eye and hold my non dominant eye open at the same time.With a normal scope I always aim with just one  eye and the other one closed.Does anyone have any imput on that,that might help me?Also everyone is always saying how great the ACOG's glass is but since I've never had the chance to look through one I don't know. Is it  as great as a Luepold Target model? Thanks in advance.  Sniper2003
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#26]
After spending some time training with an ODA, and following their way of doing things, Ive gotten pretty good at using an ACOG NSN for CQB.  It was alot of range time, Mostly on uncles dime, but im able to shoot with both eyes open for Close range work, but use it the scope likes its intended for long range work.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Even if you can't use it with both eyes open, BAC lights up the reticle so you will be faster in daylight.

In low light and at night the low light capability and tritium reticle still keeps the ACOG (BAC and non-BAC models) on the best low light scope list.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top