Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2005 5:49:51 PM EDT
Thinking of mounting a scope on my A3 16" upper.  Anybody have any pics of this setup?  What will I loose if anything in accuracy with a 16" vs 20' barrel?  Thanks  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I've gathered there's no difference in accuracy between 16" and 20" barrels, it's just an urban myth.

Nikkels
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
CSGunWorkscom - Thanks for the pictures.  They look great.  One thing I was concerned with was the overall length of the scope on a 16" barrel.  Is there any particular  power scope, (single or variable) that is the best all around?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is there any particular  power scope, (single or variable) that is the best all around?

Thanks

Yes, but it is absurdly expensive:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=210280

An ACOG is not a bad choice either
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#7]
ppirate -

Your scope set-up depends on what you want to do with the rifle.

If its important for you to have a really wide field of view and to be able to shoot both real near and realatively far, I'd say go variable 1.5x5. I'm trying that set-up out and really like it so far (Leupold 1.5x5x20).

If you are mostly concerned with shooting at >25 yards and are not concerned with having a field of view thats real wide at close ranges (like dots or irons), you don't have to have the real low power of a 1.5 variable. You can go with a fixed 4x or variable 3x9 type.

If you are shooting mostly 100 yds and out, you need more magnification and won't care about anything less than about 3x.

The exception to the above is the ACOG, ELCAN, etc. Then you get into high tech reticles, wide fields of view, etc. You have to pay more cash and they are kind of a different animal from a regular scope.

And then, theres your budget...how much cash are you comfortable spending and how important is military style durability?

Yep, there are a bunch of cool options out there...good luck in your pursuit.

One more thing...about the accuracy. You loose a little speed but you don't give up any accuracy with the shorter barrel. However, the loss of speed might change accuracy if your shooting 200 yds and its windy.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top