Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2004 7:01:34 PM EDT
I am thinking of buying an acog.  But part of me is wondering if I need it.

If I remember right the ammo oracle says that you only get reliable frag from xm193 out to around 175 yards or something.  Which, in my (uneducated) opinion would make max range you would ever want to engage about 300 yards.  (I know there are times you probably need too)  So, if most contact is close, and max is 300.  Is it worth paying 2-3 times as much for the magnification of the acogs?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I got through this same argument with myself every month or so.  I'd love to have one.  But they are about $1k.  And I live in a city.  The only time I can ever see myself using it in anger would be if some crackhead broke into my house.  At those kind of distances the Eotech I have is probably the better optic.  So maybe one of these days I'll get a big bonus check and pick one up.  But until then I just keep failing to convince myself that it is worth it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#3]
you dont really need an ar then if you live in the city neither huh?

i got one, dont need it but i got one.

i think they are cool as hell and when funds permit i will get another one.

i too live in the city and if ever i needed to pull a gun on someone it will be my glock!

i also have two aimpoints, handle an eotech and own a few high powered scopes all things i have wanted and not regretted shelling the bucks for.

try handling one and then decide if you still want it for the price.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a compact acog then - a 2x or 3x model...  They're less expensive and good out to 300 meters.  Very good 50-150 meters and workable up close.  Seems like it would fit your requirements nicely...
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Once you buy one, you wont want to give it up

Not only that, you might end up buying another.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:14:42 AM EDT
[#8]
That's my problem, getting an ACOG then wanting another one.  Bought a TAO1NSN, waiting for a Bushy 16"  upper with the SIR system so it can find a home and have another little Bushy on order with the 14.5 barrel, and fixed FS to make it legal, now I want ANOTHER Acog, but haven't decided with one yet. The TA31 has a good following but this weapon will be for short range, 50 to 100 yard rock and roll plinking fun. Thinking real hard on a little compact ACOG..
Currently, I have a little Bushy with an Aimpoint, relized after the fact that I don't like having to turn it on and off. This will wind up as a "hers" AR.. She rattled off a few rounds with it the other day and I think she has been smitten with the AR bug.

Decisions,,,

NV
Allons
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:34:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That's my problem, getting an ACOG then wanting another one.  Bought a TAO1NSN, waiting for a Bushy 16"  upper with the SIR system so it can find a home and have another little Bushy on order with the 14.5 barrel, and fixed FS to make it legal, now I want ANOTHER Acog, but haven't decided with one yet. The TA31 has a good following but this weapon will be for short range, 50 to 100 yard rock and roll plinking fun. Thinking real hard on a little compact ACOG..
Currently, I have a little Bushy with an Aimpoint, relized after the fact that I don't like having to turn it on and off. This will wind up as a "hers" AR.. She rattled off a few rounds with it the other day and I think she has been smitten with the AR bug.

Decisions,,,

NV
Allons

I know exactly how you feel. I got a TA11D and a case of IMI M855 from my father as a Christmas present last year. Shortly after I started shooting the TA11D I just had to buy a TA11.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:41:58 AM EDT
[#10]
The TA11, so many good choices.

The way I see it, I have a little carbine with the 1X Aimpoint, the 16" SIR system will have the 4X TAO1NSN and a little compact on the other 14.5 carbine makes perfect sense, toss up between the 2X or 3X, but leaning towards a 2X BAC with red crosshair or maybe the red donut. Figure this would work well 50 to 100 meters.  The new 14.5 carbine will be an A3, I have the Aimpoint on an A2 mounted forward of the carry handle. It works very well.

NV
Allons
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I certainly hope so! I couldn't decide between an Aimpoint and an Eotech, so I went with a low power Compact as a distant alternative.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#12]
while i agree acogs are very wonderful optics...

most people who are doing normal shooting will be fine with an aimpoint...   and you'll be a heck of a lot richer in the process....

acogs have their purpose...  you'll just have to find out if its worth the benifits over an aimpoint...

while acogs are fast.... i don't find them as fast on close targets as a 1x red dot...   i like being able to manual adjust my brightness too... no need for intertubing on my aimpoint...
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
while i agree acogs are very wonderful optics...

most people who are doing normal shooting will be fine with an aimpoint...   and you'll be a heck of a lot richer in the process....

acogs have their purpose...  you'll just have to find out if its worth the benifits over an aimpoint...

while acogs are fast.... i don't find them as fast on close targets as a 1x red dot...   i like being able to manual adjust my brightness too... no need for intertubing on my aimpoint...

I agree. If the majority of my own shooting was from 0-150 meters I would have opted for an Aimpoint without hesitation. Since most of my shooting is from 150-300 meters the ACOG seemed like a more prudent choice.

The best option of course would be to have both My next optic will likely be an Aimpoint or a compact ACOG for my SHTF carbine. While I'm getting pretty fast with the TA11/11D BAC I could be faster still with a 1x. If I remember correctly Lumpy runs a CompM2 and an ACOG, and switches between them to suit his targeting requirements. I would like to have that same capability.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Or have an TA01NSN with a red dot scope on top.  In this case a DOCTER.  It's the carbine on the left.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I like that setup with the Dr. Optic, looks like it is very easy, just unscrew the iron sight and put the mount on, but, question, what mount is it and where did you get it.

NV
Allons
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I NEED AN ACOG!!!

Just going to have to wait till I get a raise...
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And once you have two, you really think you need a Compact for a LW build....
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I need a TA-31 to satisfy my want for a TA-31.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top