Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 6:51:02 PM EDT
I am thinking of getting an ACOG and I will buy an upper at the same time.  So what is the preffered way to mount the ACOG?  Flatop with which adapter?  Carry handle?

I like the idea of the carry handle, I can get an A1 which is $40 cheaper from Bushy and have backup sights for free.  Plus, no extra mount to buy.  It seems like the best way to go.  But, how is the cheekweld when you run it this way?  I know, the ACOG was designed to be mounted like this, but I like the cheekweld I get using the normal sights.  Is it a huge change in cheekweld with the higher sighting plane?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It will depend on which ACOG you buy.  If you get a carryhandle mount type you will want to get a piece to attach to the buttstock so you can get a decent cheek weld.  If you prefer a flattop then get an ACOG set up for a flattop, get a BUIS and you have it all.  The carryhandle mount will change your position greatly.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking of a TA31.  

So going on a carry handle will make a HUGE difference?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a flattop upper. I have one on an A2 and it sucks.

I have a thread here asking what Compact ACOG mount for a flattop is best, but I'm still waiting for the experts to chime in.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=208996
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
i have my ta31 mounted on the flattop using an arms 19s an i think it does its job and some.

wanted to get the larue mount but after searching long and hard i think its a ghost item.

the ta51 which is the trijicon flat top mount works good too.

it pretty much depends on what you wanna do with it. ta51 uses thumbscrews to secure to the flattop and the arms uses a throw lever, which slightly faster to remove

i tried mounting onto a carry handle and to me it is way too high. i pretty much have to raise my head off of the stock to see through it.

flat top for me
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can't find the LaRue, the good old TA51 still is a good deal.   Always $40ish on the EE.

Spare mount in G-Tac storage case:

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:11:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know about these other guys, but I love the TA31 on the carry handle of my A2.
Being able to slide from the iron sights to the ACOG and back if you wish is terrific fun.  It's the most versatile option available, and, that's how the ACOG was designed.
In no way is the cheekweld bad at all, in fact, it's quite comfortable and one of those cheekweld extenders isn't needed or even desired as it would then interfere with the use of the iron sights.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't wish to appear too one-sided in my previous post in praise of a carry handle mounted ACOG, so I'm posting a picture of my Dissipator A3 with TA31F ACOG.  
Like the A2, it is an excellent shooter, and also like the A2, great fun.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Here's another mounting option, designed especially for 3-Gunning...

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=31790

They built an upper specifically for the TA-11?

Out of curiosity do you have a weight on that thing (the upper)?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top