Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 4:42:29 PM EDT
I just put together this rifle and i need some ideas for optics.  I have a BSA redot  on it now, but def. do now want to keep it there.  I am not too familar with the ballistics of this round, but the barrel as you can see in the pic it a 16".  I don't know the twist rate.  

What kinda optics would work on this?  im just looking for your opinions and to inquire about something out there that i don't know about.

I would like some magnification on this  and a suppressor is in the plans down the road.  

I appreciate any input
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#1]
This is kind of a canned answer, but it would be helpful if you could let us know what type of shooting you plan on doing with it - i.e. target/range work, hunting, plinking, etc. - what distances you plan on shooting out to, and, of course, what your budget looks like.  There are literally hundreds of different optics choices, just depends what you want to use it for and how much you want to spend.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
ok  sorry for the vaugness

Financially conservative not by choice.  

I plan to shoot 300 yards at max.  would like a 100 yard zero and work from there.  
I also plan to suppress this rifle down the road.  

Mostly just a plinking rifle that is different.  I got a chance for this upper and figured i would try it.  I am going to try and shooot a whitetail deer with it.  

Thanks For the info.

Brian
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 6:23:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest something with variable power, especially if you plan on hunting.  Based on the max range you listed (300 yds) I would say 10-14x magnification max.  Some people may think that is even too much, but I tend to like more magnification - increases my confidence to have a bigger sight picture.  You don't need a 30mm maintube scope based on the range you intend to shoot, either, so that will save you some money.  I have heard a lot of good feedback on Bushnell Elite scopes and I think they run around $300 or less.  I personally have experience with the Cabelas Alaskan Guide scopes and I was extremely surprised with the clarity, low light capability, and ruggedness of the scope I had.  They have a 3-12x52 30 mm maintube model that they sell for $350 I think and it is well worth the money.  I now use Leupold scopes and a Zeiss Conquest and they are all excellent scopes, but the Zeiss was almost $600 and the Leupolds were $800+ each.  

Also, plan on getting some decent mounts.  It looks like you could get away with Medium rings with the spacer you have.  I like Badger, but they are $125 per set.  If you want quick release, the ARMS #22 rings are well made, and I have heard good things about Warne rings.  You can spend as little as $30 on inexpensive rings or as much as $200 on titanium "uber-rings".  I would suggest not skimping as the rings can be a weak link in the chain.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks man,  that helps a great deal.  sounds like you have some experience in the field

Brian
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Glad I could help out.  I have a lot less field experience than some of the folks here, just do a lot of research and love to shoot!

Whereabouts in SC are you from?  I just moved from the Charleston area about 5 months ago.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top