Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 12:14:37 PM EDT
Howdy!

I've got a 40mm Obj. scope (6-24X/1" tube) that I want to mount on my 20" A3.  I'm going to be using Burris Signature Zee rings (medium are 0.270", high are 0.420",  base to bottom of tube if it matters).  I want to use some type of detachable base, and am having trouble deciding if Bushmaster's ARMS #5 MultiBase or one of their BMAS Quick Detach Rail Extensions would be better.  Their catalog shows that the BMAS raises the mounting surface ~1/2", but they don't say how high the BMAS #5 raises things.  I've read that the front sight blurs out with the use of a scope with any magnification...is that true?  If that is the case, does it matter which one of these I choose?  Is one better than the other besides any difference in height?

Thanks for any help!

Mike  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Howdy!

I've got a 40mm Obj. scope (6-24X/1" tube) that I want to mount on my 20" A3.  I'm going to be using Burris Signature Zee rings (medium are 0.270", high are 0.420",  base to bottom of tube if it matters).  I want to use some type of detachable base, and am having trouble deciding if Bushmaster's ARMS #5 MultiBase or one of their BMAS Quick Detach Rail Extensions would be better.  Their catalog shows that the BMAS raises the mounting surface ~1/2", but they don't say how high the BMAS #5 raises things.  I've read that the front sight blurs out with the use of a scope with any magnification...is that true?  If that is the case, does it matter which one of these I choose?  Is one better than the other besides any difference in height?

Thanks for any help!

Mike  

The 40mm objective will work fine on either platform in reguards to clearance. A  magnification of 5X or more on the 20" barrel will put the front sight housong out of the focal plain so you won't see it. I wouldn't get the Z rings for mil spec rails, or for that matter..........................!
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I wouldn't get the Z rings for mil spec rails, or for that matter..........................!
Good shootin, Jack

What rings would you recommend and why?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on how you want to attach and detach. Do you plan to leave the scope on most of the time or not. Are you going to have a back up iron sight? Etc.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It depends on how you want to attach and detach. Do you plan to leave the scope on most of the time or not. Are you going to have a back up iron sight? Etc.
Good shootin, Jack

I'll most likely be removing the scope after use....my case is too small to handle my AR with it attached.  I've got the A3 handle that I'll be putting back on to shoot at shorter distances anyhow.  Got out to almost 200 yards last weekend (kept everything within a 6 in. circle), but was havin' hell trying to see the target, so I'm moving up to a scope for anything out beyond 100~150 yards.

Thanks for your input,

Mike
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:It depends on how you want to attach and detach. Do you plan to leave the scope on most of the time or not. Are you going to have a back up iron sight? Etc.
Good shootin, Jack

I'll most likely be removing the scope after use....my case is too small to handle my AR with it attached.  I've got the A3 handle that I'll be putting back on to shoot at shorter distances anyhow.  Got out to almost 200 yards last weekend (kept everything within a 6 in. circle), but was havin' hell trying to see the target, so I'm moving up to a scope for anything out beyond 100~150 yards.
Thanks for your input,
Mike

Mike, based on you screen name I feel your pain. An altenative is the LaRue 1" Tactical Mount. My range scope is now in a LaRue 1" mount which moves from weapon to weapon. The dedicated magnified scoped weapons now use the 30mm LaRue Tactical mounts. Sorry, Jack.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Mike, based on you screen name I feel your pain.

HEHE!  Yeah...I do miss home.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, if that is the situation, suggest getting a ARMS #38 sleeve that also has the #40 rear sight built in, that way it will be at the right ht. and fit in the case and have the rear sight already zeroed, plus the same apertures as the A2 carry handle. QD the optic on/off of it with their throw lever #22 med rings with rings, like the spec ops have on the SPR sniper rifles. For a 1" scope all you need then is a pair if insert bushings. ARMS also have the a #35 throw lever rail ring combo with various ht. modular rings. Just depends what you want. I personally think your better off getting rid of the carry handle no matter which way you end up going.
Jack
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#8]
ARMS 38 rail + ARMS 22 throw-lever rings

www.adcofirearms.com

www.mountsplus.com
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top