Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Posted: 10/30/2004 2:33:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: strick909]
UPDATED 12/11/2007

PLEASE POST ANY LEGITIMATE AIMPOINT CLONE QUESTIONS IN THIS THREAD. ALSO POST ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR QUESTIONS TO BE ADDED TO THE FAQ. PLEASE, PLEASE, KEEP ANY DUMB ASS COMMENTS TO YOUR SELF.

This thread needs an Update as the Tacpoint is pretty much gone. Hakko has gone tits up and there is a new player on the market.

The new player on the market is the SightmarkTactical Red Dot. Most of the FAQ is still relivent as the Sightmark looks like it is the new version of the Tacpoint but without the stupid blue ring.

What is a Tacpoint Sightmark?

The Sightmark Tactical Red Dot sight is a new verion of the old Tacpoint (Aimpoint clone) imported by LandMark Outdoors. They also import Yukon night vision.

Current photos:

The Tacpoint  was a reflex red dot optic by Hakko-Japan.
Here is a photo. BE AWARE! Hakko is pretty much gone from the states.  The all black models are older models

Why does it look like an Aimpoint?
The Aimpoint is the most popular mil-spec red dot optic in use today. It's a great design. It was only a matter of time untill someone made a copy.

So, What is up with the Sightmark name or Tacpoint blue ring?
This is the manufacturers indication of a Lifetime Warranty. It also differentiates the Sightmark and Tacpoint from an Aimpoint.

Can I remove the name or blue ring? I want it to look more like the Aimpoint.
Yes, paint thinner will take it right off. But here is a question for you. Why would you want to remove it? Would you take the label off any other optic? Leave it alone or you will look like a poser.

Can I fit a kill flash to the Tacpoint? (I don't know on the sightmark as I have not tried it yet. I will update this soon)
Not with out some "modifications". The simple answer is no. Besides, a kill-flash is only neccissary on a combat optic. See the question above.
ETA: this was posted by Wolfhound56
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textQuote><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Sure you can. You want a flipopen scopecover Butler creek size 10 OBJ (1.500 inches/38.1 mm) and Killflash Sunguard ARD from Tenebraex Corp size #1 and you're in business. No modifications necessary.<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

So, is this thing as good as an Aimpoint?
NO! Although it looks simillar to the Comp ML2, there are some very important differences.
#1 The Aimpoint is a mil-spec, combat proven optic. The Sightmark / Tacpoint is a copy.
#2 The Aimpoint has much longer battery life
#3 The Aimpoint is Submersible to 25 meters (70ft)

But doesn't it do the same thing?
Basicly yes. They are both reflex red dot sights. Both use a 4 moa dot for target acquisition. (5 MOA on the Sightmark)

So, why buy a Sightmark / Tacpoint over an Aimpoint?
First off, if you can afford the Aimpoint and a mount, by all means BUY IT! The Sightmark is a less expensive alternitive for someone who
A: wants a red dot sight, but can not afford an Aimpoint.
B: will never use their red dot optic for anything other than target shooting or hunting.
C: owns an Aimpoint but would rather beat up a cheap copy on the range.

Why would I NOT want to buy a Tacpoint?
If you ever plan to use an optic for Law Enforcment, Millitary, or home defense purposes YOU MUST BUY OPTICS THAT WERE DESIGNED, BUILT AND TESTED FOR THAT USE!
Aimpoint, EOTech, and Trijicon all make excelent combat optics. Any of these three would be a better choice.

Are they made in China or Japan?
The Sightmark and new Blue Ring Tacpoint models are all made in China. The original all black Tacpoint models were made in Japan.

Ok, So it is not as durable as an Aimpoint. How durable is it?
That seems to be the $64,000 question. These optics are very new to the market. The initial reports are mostly positive on this issue. I have not heard of an optic that has broken during use yet.

UPDATED 12/11/2007
My Tacpoint died about a year into use. I did not seriously abuse it or even use it a lot. I was able to get it working again by stretching the battery spring and putting a new single Aimpoint battery in. The lens cover on the eye piece fell off.

My new Sightmark was acquired just a short time ago and I have not had time to beat on it yet. It seems heavier than the Tacpoint and has a better finish. The lens covers are also a little higher quality. All in all, it looks like an improvment.

What kind of problems have been reported?
There were some initial reports that the optic would leak when submerged in water. Hakko has stated that these optics are waterproof, but who knows? It should be fine in a little rain, but I would not take one swimming. Also, some have stated that the red dot is not as sharp and crisp as they would like. Others have no problem with the dot at all. There have also been reports that the numbers on the elevation and windage knobs will rub off. (This happened to one of mine.) There have also been reports of the threads being soft on the adjustment cap covers and the scope body. Users are advised to check that the cap is threading on straight and you should not force it.
Some users think the flip up caps are a little flimsy.
UPDATED 12/11/2007
As stated in the post above, the new Sighmark has better lens covers and seems to be a little bit heavier. Sightmark does NOT claim this sight is waterproof.

What kind of positve things have been reported?
So far, everyone has said it holds zero with no problems. Most users find the dot to be clear and well defined. If you purchase an Aimpoint mount, it will co-witness with your iron sights. Most users also report that the sight is well built for the price range and you can bang it around quite a bit with out breaking it or loosing zero.
UPDATED 12/11/2007
My Tacpoint lost zero when it died. It needed to be re-zeroed when I fixed it. The Sightmark has been fine to date.

Is it true that they have a blue tint to the optics?
Yes, There is a slight blue tint to the optic. This will be more noticable when looking at a bright , white object with with both eyes open.  It does not effect the operation and it is a bi-product of the lens coating they use.
UPDATED 12/11/2007
This is not as noticeable with the Sightmark. But hey, even an Aimpoint has some tint to it.

Is the Tacpoint 2 a 2x scope?
No, it is a longer model with two mounts. I can see no reason it would be a better choice than the Tac 1.

I heard that it is an airsoft optic. Is that true?
No. It is a rifle optic. IT IS NOT A COMBAT OPTIC, but was made for use on centerfire rifles.
Now, with that said, some people may mount them on airsoft toys. But, then again, they could mount an ACOG on a toy as well. That won't make the ACOG an airsoft optic.

I am new to AR15.com/to the optics forum/ or live under a rock and I want to know more about the Sightmark / tacpoint. What should I do?
#1 BEFORE YOU START A NEW THREAD, USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!
#2 ADD YOUR QUESTION TO AN EXISTING THREAD LIKE THIS ONE!
#3 Start a new thread as a LAST RESORT!

Some newbie just posted a stupid Aimpoint clone question. Can I flame him with a bunch of smart ass comments?
No. As much as we love the terms "airsoft", "window licker", "poser", "wanna be", and so forth; please refrain from posting anything other than a link to this thread and a simple reminder to use the search function.
With your help, we can all make the optics forum a safe place to surf again!
Remember, only you can prevent flame wars. That, and everytime you post in a tacpoint thread, you just bump it to the top!
UPDATED 12/11/2007
I don't hear the term "window licker" very often anymore, so feel free to bring it back.

So, is a Sightmark / Tacpoint worth the money or not?
There is no real answer for this question here. Only you can decide what it would be worth to you. Some users have found that they would prefer a less expensive or a more expensive alternitive to their purchase. Some are very happy with the Sightmark / Tacpoint for the money. The bottom line is always buy the best optic you can for the job at hand.

I am not military, LEO and never plan to have to fight off zombie hoards. Should I buy the Sightmark / Tacpoint now, or save for an Aimpoint?
All though the odds of having to use your rifle for home defense may be the same as winning the lottery, there is always a chance that something bad may happen. It is a widely accepted practice to have at least one battle proven optic for each rifle you own, for a real SHTF situation. If you are going to run a clone as your only optic, at least have a good set of BUIS. Click here to see different BUIS systems.
You don't have to be a survivalist living in a bunker to prepare for the worst, and still hope for the best.

What about a mount?
The Sightmark / Tacpoint comes with a mount that will work on any picatinny flat top rail. It will NOT co-witness with iron sights though. The Sightmark / Tacpoint is a 30mm tube that will work with any Aimpoint mount. A good quality mount that will allow for a co-witness with BUIS will cost as much or more than the Sightmark / Tacpoint. Of course, you can always use the mount with an Aimpoint later. It is possable to get a knock off mount that looks like a mil-spec mount.  These will be sold as airsoft parts. Mounts are like optics, and you get what you pay for.  
UPDATED 12/11/2007
I have started using the ProMag cantilever mount with pretty good results. $49.99 at www.talonarms.com

Where are the best deals on Sightmark / tacpoints or other optics?
The Equipment Exchage
You will find ARFCOM dealers who sell the Sightmark / Tacpoint as well as Aimpoints, EOTechs, ACOGS and other optic systems as well. You can also find deals on USED Aimpoints for not much more than a new Tacpoint would cost. It's your money. Spend it wisely.
UPDATE 12/11/2007
The Tacpoint is pretty much gone, so you will be looking at the Sightmark these days and you are better off for it.

Hey Strick, Why the FAQ?
Hopefully to stop the flame war and get some good info out. Feel free to post comments. Unless they are smart ass coments. Put those in an existing tacpoint thread full of BS already

New Questions for the FAQ
Hey, my Sightmark / tacpoint did not come with instructions. Is that right?
Yes, the box did not include instructions. But batteries WERE included! And a warranty card for the Sightmark.

Ok, but how do I sight it in?
First, the Sightmark / Tacpoint can be mounted with the adj knobs on the top and the left side, or the top and the right side. Whichever method you use, the top will be for elevation and the side will be for windage. Most users will mount the Tpoint with the knobs on the top and the right side. I have found that the adj clicks are about 1/4" at 50 yards. YMMV

UPDATED QUESTIONS FOR 2008

I see a bunch of posts for even cheaper clones on Ebay. What about those?
Everything I have seen has been total crap. I know some people are posting that they are great, but I have to wonder how much experiance they have with the real deal. Also, these dealers are not US based (they are in China) and if you have a warranty issue you have to ship it back to China! Some them only have 7 day warranties!
You can buy a Sightmark for around $100 and a co-witness mount for $50 and at least get something from a US based ARFCOM dealer and the product warranty issues are handled here in the US (Texas to be exact). Also, the Sightmark has a Limited Lifetime Warranty and you will handle that through people who speak english. If that is not worth the price difference, I don't know anything that can convince you. Go ahead, buy a no name clone from Ebay and see what kind of service you get if you have a problem. Besides, If you buy anything from the gun bigots at Ebay you deserve a kick in the ass.

So does anybody have a deal on the Sightmark and a mount?
Call on TalonArms.com
They have package deals under MAP.
Not only is that Rob guy over there incredibly cool, he knows a lot about  hooking you up with the best tools for the job.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Very informative, answered any questions I had.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:02:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mongo001] [#2]
to strick909 for all the hard work typing that up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent post.  Thank you for taking the initiative.

Originally Posted By strick909:

So, is a Tacpoint worth the money or not?
There is no real answer for this question here. Only you can decide what it would be worth to you. Some users have found that they would prefer a less expensive or a more expensive alternitive to their purchase. Some are very happy with the Tacpoint for the money. The bottom line is always buy the best optic you can for the job at hand.

Some user input on this question can be found here.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. Just doing my part to bring peace and tranquility back to the optics forum.

C Chaos,
I didn't place any links to previous posts because they were FUBAR by the second page.
FALARAK has legit opinion on the tacpoint because he accually bought one and took the time to try it and post on it. So, I hope he posts his opinion in this thread again.

I am going to edit in a few more questions as I think of them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Great post. This is exactly what I need. Thanks for all of the great info.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for doing this.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By KevinB:
Thanks for doing this.

Thanks to you, Kevin. It was your idea. If you end up getting to shoot one, let me know your opinions.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#9]
How about that... a rational person.

GREAT POST!

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Excellent post!

THIS is a prime example of what an INFORMATIVE post SHOULD be.

NO B.S. No bias and informative.

Kudos!

Lonny
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Great post. Sorry it had to come at the end of so many flame fests over a silly red dot scope.
Link Posted: 11/5/2004 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you strick909.
Link Posted: 11/7/2004 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome... this will help a lot.
Can't say I'm crazy about that "Blue Ring". When you say paint thinner will take it off are you talking abou the writing or the actual blue ring... or both?

Call me a poser but if I bought it that would be gone. Partly because it looks queer and partly because it's shiny and it's BLUE. Why blue?

Link Posted: 11/7/2004 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
Awesome... this will help a lot.
Can't say I'm crazy about that "Blue Ring". When you say paint thinner will take it off are you talking abou the writing or the actual blue ring... or both?

Call me a poser but if I bought it that would be gone. Partly because it looks queer and partly because it's shiny and it's BLUE. Why blue?

I really have no idea. Those who have removed the blue say acetone or paint thinner. I did not remove mine. BTW, it is not really shiny. That is more from my flash. It is a flat, matte black. As for why it's blue? I can only guess. I just thank Hakko for not making the whole damn thing blue!
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I recently purchased a Tacpoint, and it looks like a good piece of work. For $100, you shouldn't expect the world. I found that the flip-up caps broke easily (front one broke the first day, and the rear one had the spring malfunction on day 4), but Hakko had new caps in my hand 9 days after I contacted them- that's better than a lot on US based companies. I would reccommend their products on customer service alone, but I also think it's a decent scope at a decent price. When I have $400 laying around the house, I will be sure to try an actual Aimpoint. In the meantime, this will do fine.
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Good review, Jgrease. Thanks for the input. I like this quote the best:

Originally Posted By jgrease:
When I have $400 laying around the house, I will be sure to try an actual Aimpoint. In the meantime, this will do fine.

That is a really good idea. The tacpoint should never be considered a good combat / home defense optic. But it is a great range optic for the money. But don't just wait till you have extra funds. Put a little away every month and you will have enough for that Aimpoint sooner than you think.
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By jgrease:
I recently purchased a Tacpoint, and it looks like a good piece of work. For $100, you shouldn't expect the world. I found that the flip-up caps broke easily (front one broke the first day, and the rear one had the spring malfunction on day 4), but Hakko had new caps in my hand 9 days after I contacted them- that's better than a lot on US based companies. I would reccommend their products on customer service alone, but I also think it's a decent scope at a decent price. When I have $400 laying around the house, I will be sure to try an actual Aimpoint. In the meantime, this will do fine.

jgrease,

How about posting contact information (for Hakko) in this thread.  You are right, getting the replacement parts in your hands in nine days ain't too shabby.

Are the replacements better?  If not, when they have to replace enough of them they might beef them up some.
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By criley:

How about posting contact information (for Hakko) in this thread.

I don't know if this will help, but this is Hakko's English website in Japan, and the email address they list is [email protected].
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#19]
To strick909, If this is not a good place IM me and I will remove it.

Tacpoint use. Gunstock, bumpfire on my MAk. THE blue ring came loose and wobbled around. The blue ring is actually decorative and can be removed. No problems with dot, switches, lenses.
Houston trip Mounted on Girlfriends NHM-91. ON a Ultimak gas tube replacement sight base. This would get really hot and would be a good test. Battery failure. The dot went out and just last night I discovered that the contacts were a little dirty. I wiped them off and dot returned. Heat and /or condensation probably caused this.

Next test- next weekend Ultimak on my AK, lots of bump fire.
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By hound:
To strick909, If this is not a good place IM me and I will remove it.

hound, this is great. I love to hear all feed back, positive and negitive. I would PREFER that the opinions posted be from those who acctually purchased and used the T-point rather than defending it or flaming it based on perceptions and not experiance.

update us on your next trip to the range
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 2:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brad86] [#21]
So far, mine is working pretty well.  No real hardcore testing yet, but it was zeroed and grouping within 10 shots.  Definately not a fan of the caps it comes with, but mine haven't broken yet.  

More info from this end as it gets more use.

ETA:  Mine is a TAC 2 mounted on my AR M4 clone.
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 8:35:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#22]

Thanks guys. Just doing my part to bring peace and tranquility back to the optics forum.

C Chaos,
I didn't place any links to previous posts because they were FUBAR by the second page.
FALARAK has legit opinion on the tacpoint because he accually bought one and took the time to try it and post on it. So, I hope he posts his opinion in this thread again.

I am going to edit in a few more questions as I think of them.

peace and tranquility??? your post starts out with this
"Ok, Here it is. The FAQ KevinB suggested to bring all of the tacpoint questions to one thread.
PLEASE POST ANY LEGITIMATE TACPOINT QUESTIONS IN THIS THREAD. ALSO POST ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR QUESTIONS TO BE ADDED TO THE FAQ. PLEASE, PLEASE, KEEP ANY DUMB ASS COMMENTS TO YOUR SELF"

for one to post on here should expect dumb and sarcastic remarks to be made. for one not to expect that well i dont know what to say. for example they guy named "markm"(i think that is right) all he does is make sarcastic remarks about stuff. dont get me wrong here I am happy to see one post stuf fabout there experiances with certain items, and its nice for one to take the time to type it all up. but one should expect that there will be questions and there will be sarcastic remarks.So with that said. I have to ask the following about your post

You said:

Can I remove the blue ring? I want it to look more like the Aimpoint.
Yes, paint thinner will take it right off. But here is a question for you. Why would you want to remove it? Would you take the label off any other optic? Leave it alone or you will look like a poser.

Poser?? so if one alters an object on there gun say like duracoat something or camo paint it or remove something ,OR  god forbid make your gun look like a REAL leo/ military firearm.
so by you saying your above quote you call everyone who has an mforgery a poser.  

P.S. also by the way I dont know anybody who would use an alternate optic at the range becasue they didnt want to "beat up" there primary optic.

edited on 11/13/2004:
It has come to my attention that my post may or may not be offensive, but in no way did I have ill intentions to the author of this post. I even thought it was a very good post and topic on the tacpoint subject. I believe that some people do and always will take (not just this site) forums and other type of blogs and sites where you can post your opinion on certain objects ot people too serious. I understand the internet is intended and used for information and other things. As an AR owner i believe this site it the most informative site on the subject of Ar's and items related to the subject. But in no way do i take the posts and its replys serious or so to speak "to heart" . And I hope others can understand that I still  believe in the freedom off speach, and i do not or would never ask no one to NOT argue or speak there mind or tell there opinion wether or not I the author may find there response offensive becasue I understand there right and I welcome any response on any topic i may post. I dont believe any body should say they will only expect "positive responses to there opinion even if somebody else has a different opinion. I also believe the owners and moderators of this site agree with me. I can understand that degrading or threating one in a post using foul language is not acceptable and that there may be certain circumstances that should not be allowed. Further I do believe my response was still on topic with the tacpoint subject. I own both aimpoint and the tacpoint. So I hope people should make up there own minds in real time experiences with both optics if they should have the resources available to do so. thanks again for you time
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Great Post!

First experience with my Blue Ring Tacpoint.  The only problem I had, was with with my FAL Israeli HB Carbine (13" barrel), .308 Winchester/7.62 x 51mm NATO, with modified gas system to cycle.

My first 3 shots were fine, but the Tacpoint shut off right on shot #3, Red Dot would not turn back on.

The problem was with the batteries, in that the battery compartment must be TIGHT, so that it doesn't jar loose, and turn off.

I have pulled the spring to tighten up the battery compartment, and prevent movement.  I'll be taking it out on the range again this weekend, and will see how it holds up.  My preview BEC Red Dot from Sportsmens Guide lasted about 1000 rounds, then the knob would not work anymore, but red dot still works.

I think its probably better suited for low recoil weapons, possible with a max at .223/5.56 NATO type calibers.  

I'll post an update if the tighter spring will hold with my .308, otherwise, It'll go back on my M4gery.

Link Posted: 11/16/2004 2:29:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARFireer] [#24]
Does anyone recommend a good place to buy a Tacpoint online??

The way I see it, my rifle is only for the range.  I have no more reason to buy a combat proven optic than a combat proven car, or house, etc.  Spending half the price of the rifle on a red dot scope just isn't worth it to me or my needs.  So the Tacpoint fits the bill very well.

Does anyone have a picture of the Tacpoint mounted with it's included mount?  I plan to put the optic right on my A3 upper, I was wondering if my front site will get in the way.  I have no use for a BUIS.

Thanks!

Edit:  I found one.  This will just NOT do, I don't want to remove y front sight so I will have to find another mount :(  

Link Posted: 11/16/2004 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry... I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 11/16/2004 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By ARFireer:
This will just NOT do, I don't want to remove y front sight so I will have to find another mount :(  www.kevinholman.com/pics/guns/misc/witness.jpg

www.ameetecarms.com/misc.asp
Link Posted: 11/16/2004 9:23:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARFireer] [#27]

Originally Posted By C4iGrant:
 Don't want back up iron SIGHTS!!!! !

Absolutely no reason to have them on this particular rifle.  If the sight fails at the range I'll just pull it off and put the handle back on to finish out the day.
Link Posted: 11/16/2004 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By Brad86:

209.200.75.38/Images/pic_big_small.jpg

www.ameetecarms.com/misc.asp

I'd probably be better off just getting a mount.
Link Posted: 11/16/2004 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By ARFireer:

Originally Posted By C4iGrant:
 Don't want back up iron SIGHTS!!!! !

Absolutely no reason to have them on this particular rifle.  If the sight fails at the range I'll just pull it off and put the handle back on to finish out the day.

Acctually, that is BUIS.
Link Posted: 11/18/2004 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I have both an Aimpoint and a Tacpoint and other than a few quality control issues I am hard pressed to find the difference between the two. I was at one of the last classes at Thunder Ranch and I took my Tac because I didn't want to screw up my Aimpoint. This thing got banged around more than my last girlfriend and still held zero, other expensive optics may have failed with the abuse I put it through. I know Thunder isn't combat but it is a close 3rd. I know alot of Ar'rs don't like cheap (inexpensive) optics because of pride, showmanship and penis length, but I stand behind this little red dot, in fact it has found it's home on my M4gery. I do have a barely used Aimpoint for sale........just kidding!.
Link Posted: 11/19/2004 2:34:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By Combatvet:I have both an Aimpoint and a Tacpoint and other than a few quality control issues I am hard pressed to find the difference between the two. I was at one of the last classes at Thunder Ranch and I took my Tac because I didn't want to screw up my Aimpoint. This thing got banged around more than my last girlfriend and still held zero, other expensive optics may have failed with the abuse I put it through. I know Thunder isn't combat but it is a close 3rd. I know alot of Ar'rs don't like cheap (inexpensive) optics because of pride, showmanship and penis length, but I stand behind this little red dot, in fact it has found it's home on my M4gery. I do have a barely used Aimpoint for sale........just kidding!.

Oh good lord, where's Lumpy?

Link Posted: 11/20/2004 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I had a Bushnell Holosight on my SAR-1 but took it off today and installed a Tacpoint.

The windage and elevation knobs gave a distinct click with each movement.  I had no problems with the caps on the adjustment knobs.

After I dialed it in at 50 yds I shot a five shot group.  It measured one inch.  Not too shabby for the old "AK."

The 30mm tube allowed for a better cheek weld since it sat lower on the Ultimak rail.  The Holosight sits up higher, so you don't really get a cheek weld.

After I shot that group I decided to leave well enough alone and just blast clays.  Then snap shots into a five inch square at 50 yds.  Emptied several mags.  The smoke was rising and the Tacpoint got too hot to touch.  It kept on ticking.

The recoil was not an issue for the Tacpoint.  My Holosight had gone off before.  I think the little springs that make the battery connection would lose contact and cause the unit to shut down.  No problem with the Tacpoint.

I also had my AR with me.  I have a Comp M on that. The Aimpoint dot is somewhat brighter, but I don't know how old the Tacpoint batteries were.  But then the Aimpoint batteries were by no means new.

I agree wholeheartedly with those who criticize the flip-up caps.  They are by no means tough enough - at least for the tempatures I got them up to today.  They did not melt but they did weaken and or expand.  I think the Aimpoint caps would fare better.

Over all I am very pleased with my Tacpont on my SAR-1 and it has a home there.  I plan to take an ML2 off of a 9mm AR carbine and put another Tacpoint in its place.  I will probably move that Aimpoint to another .223 carbine instead.

Personally, I prefer my Tacpoint over my Bushnell Holosight, and I like it better than my Kobra red dots on my other "AK"s.

I think the sights are a good value.
Link Posted: 11/20/2004 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#33]
EXCELLENT post.  This really helped me in my decision on whether or not to buy one.  Now the only problem is finding someone that has them in stock.
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 1:22:42 AM EDT
[#34]
How much are the tacpoints going for? How would you mount it on an A2?
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By Dragnet:
How much are the tacpoints going for? How would you mount it on an A2?

Tacpoint sell for $100-$130 ball park
You could use a mount like this

or like this

and you can buy them both HERE
Link Posted: 11/25/2004 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm at anyone who would put one of these on a real rifle for any reason...but I'm going to put one on a 10/22.  Who sells 'em?
Link Posted: 11/25/2004 9:47:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pcurtis] [#37]
Deleted
Link Posted: 12/2/2004 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Is the Tacpoint parallax free like the Aimpoint Comp ML2?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/2/2004 6:20:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TXPARATROOPERX2] [#39]
Some newbie just posted a stupid tacpoint question. Can I flame him with a bunch of smart ass comments?
No. As much as we love the terms "airsoft", "window licker", "poser", "wanna be", and so forth; please refrain from posting anything other than a link to this thread and a simple reminder to use the search function.
With your help, we can all make the optics forum a safe place to surf again!
Remember, only you can prevent flame wars. That, and everytime you post in a tacpoint thread, you just bump it to the top!

I appreciate the amount of time you personally spent on this info, but your remarks are whats making this site half good / half bad. Not everyone can afford the expensive optics and a Tacpoint is a good start to learn how to use optics. Once a level of proficiency is gained an AR user will be more inclined to pony up the money to buy the better optic. The names you quoted although humerous would probably prevent someone from discovering how valuable a set of optics really are. A few posts months ago called the types of AR'rs that dog cheap optics GUCCI GUYS or something to that effect. My nephew has a Tacpoint on his 10/22, and thinks it is awesome, I told him when he gets older he will get an Aimpoint. I have 5 AR's and a Tacpoint sits atop my M4......until I put an Acog on it. I just wanted to vent my opinion, it's a great optic.........for the price. An you are a valuable asset to this forum, so don't get me wrong. I continue to have a huge amount of respect for your wisdom, not that my opinion counts though. Airborne, All the way.
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By 92FS_26_M4:
Is the Tacpoint parallax free like the Aimpoint Comp ML2?

Thanks

Sorry for the delay.
The simple answer is yes.
The long answer is that even the ML2 is not completely parallax free, so the Tacpoint is not either. The Aimpoint uses better glass, so it could be assumed that it would have less parallax. But, I can't see the difference. Where you will notice a difference is in the blue tint to the Tacpoint.
Link Posted: 12/4/2004 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#42]

The long answer is that even the ML2 is not completely parallax free, so the Tacpoint is not either. The Aimpoint uses better glass, so it could be assumed that it would have less parallax.

To add a little more detail to your reply, Aimpoint does claim to use a design that comes closer to being truly parallax free than other red-dot sights:

www.aimpoint.com/o.o.i.s/37

Even with this design, however, it is not completely parallax free.  As you note, none of these optics are completely parallax free at all distances.  But they are all close enough for their intended uses.
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 2:41:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I wanted to update my experience with my Tacpoint on an Ultimak rail on an SAR-1:

The second time out I ran into a problem.  The recoil, although not a problem the first time out, became a problem during my second shoot.  As I shot, the dot would change brightness, and even go out from time to time.   The Tacpoiint got hot the first time, and it got hot the second trip, too - but I don't think it was as hot as the first session.

I thought it could be weak batteries,  but when I got home they tested at 1.47 volts out of 1.55.  I thought I would stick ONE 1/3N battery in place of TWO LR44 batteries and see if that made a difference.

I took it out Sat afternoon and ran it.  The dot did the same thing!  Then I remembered that I never actually changed out the batteries,  I just planned to.  I put in a 1/3N battery and the Tacpoint was back in business.

The AR platform may not have enough recoil to be a problem.  I put two LR44 batteries in my Aimpoint just to see how it would work.  Functioned without problem, although for serious times I would want ONE 1/3N battery in there.

It has held zero very well, by the way.
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 10:11:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pathfinder74] [#44]
Edit to remove a knee-jerk  reaction of a post that has been clarified.
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#45]
pathfinder,
your post is ok. but, thanks for being sensitive to the peace process

I have not had any issues with heat. I have put almost 1000 rounds of 9mm down range with mine so far. I last took it out on thanksgiving day and spent close to three hours with the T-point turned on the whole time. So far, knock on wood, I have been very happy with it.
criley, I would consider sending it back if the new battery still gets it hot.
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

The second time out I ran into a problem.  The recoil, although not a problem the first time out, became a problem during my second shoot.  As I shot, the dot would change brightness, and even go out from time to time.   The Tacpoiint got hot the first time, and it got hot the second trip, too - but I don't think it was as hot as the first session.

Yikes... up to this point I had seriously considered buying one... now I think I'm un-sold. For the price of the Tacpoint, which is low compared to what most consider to be mil-spec optics, it's still fairly expensive and if it's having problems like that on an AR, which in my opinion has a very low recoil, then I'm thinking it might be worth saving a little longer.

I'm totally NOT trying to start a flame war or troll more anti-Tacpoint posted into this thread. Like I said... UP TO THIS POINT, I've been fairly supportive of these.

PS... if you think this post is inappropriate for this thread drop me an IM and I'll delete it.

Pathfinder,

Just to clarify ...  the Tacpoint was not on an AR, it was on an AK, which has significantly increased recoil (although AK recoil is relatively mild, depending on perspective).

Also,  the issue does not seem to be with the Tacpoint itself, but with the BATTERY configuration.  When I switched to a single 1/3N battery (which is the equivalent of the two LR44 batteries it ships with) there was no problem.

I guess it is like SureFire lights.  When you stack batteries recoil can break contact between the multiple batteries and turn the light off.  They have special battery packs designed to withstand recoil.

Switching to one battery (which is double in size and output, so it fits and provides necessary current) solved the problem.

So, as it appearts, the problem was a BATTERY issue, not the fault of the Tacpoint.
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Good job.
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a M-4gery with an Arm's 38, standard length rail mounted. With the TacPoint mounted as far forward on the rail as possible, using the factory mount that came with the sight, it co-witnessed perfectly!!! Used it during a 3 day urban rifle class and had no probs. Fired in excess of 1000 rounds and it stayed on the money out to 150 yards. Popped the rear sight up regularly just to check to make sure still co-witnessed and it never budged. For those without a similar rail mounted, one of those spacers would probbaly put the sight in proper position to co-witness with an Arm's 40 or similar sight.
Paid $95 shipped from Texas Tactical and til I can afford an Aimpoint it can't be beat.  I'm highly satisfied.
Link Posted: 12/5/2004 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Just to clarify ...  the Tacpoint was not on an AR, it was on an AK, which has significantly increased recoil (although AK recoil is relatively mild, depending on perspective).

Also,  the issue does not seem to be with the Tacpoint itself, but with the BATTERY configuration.  When I switched to a single 1/3N battery (which is the equivalent of the two LR44 batteries it ships with) there was no problem.
So, as it appearts, the problem was a BATTERY issue, not the fault of the Tacpoint.

Perhaps I jumped the gun then... for some reason it thought it was on an AR.

IIRC there have been other threads describing problems with the dot changing intensity or going out while firing though... which is still kinda cruddy considering it's designed for a gun. But I'll put my extreme judgement on hold for the time being... thanks for clarifying that though criley.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Anybody know who has these in stock?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top