Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2004 3:54:50 PM EDT
I want to be able to look down a 100-200 yd range and see where my holes r hitting.  

Now it seems that the prices r similar....should i just get a rifle mounted scope instead?

Also what should i look out for in a goo dmed range scope.  Whats the optimal mag/objective etc etc i should get?  Which aspect of a good scope is most important?  (im a scope newbie if you cant tell)  THANKS!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems to me that a good variable power scope can second as a spotting scope. Why sink $ into a spotting scope when you can have both in one package. That's what I do  and it works well especially at the distances you described.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want the scope for looking at holes in the target, get a spotting scope, not a telescopic sight.  You should never pick up a rifle and point it at something to determine what it is.  

A telescopic rifle sight is for aiming the weapon not for observation.  Only after you know what it is and want to shoot at it should you pick up the rifle to look through the scope.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Learn about the effects of having a lot of power with a small objective lens i.e. target scope. You want the spotting scope for its large objective. Look up the term "exit pupil" and learn more about this.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#4]
All together now...

"A RIFLE scope is not a SPOTTING scope"

Again... with FEELING!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree, a good spotting scope is an essential range tool.
Plus when I'm shooting old milsurps with irons, or AR15's with irons, that spotting scope comes in real handy!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine is a budget scope, Swift Lynx, with lots of eye relief, ~$170. Works fine to 200yds, but not waterproof. The older Champions Choice was supposed to be very good, but I have not heard anything about the newer models. They changed designs completely.
Kowa makes top stuff; someday I'll get one...
www.jarheadtop.com/kowa.html
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
what r some specs i should look fo rin a decent spotting scope?  Like $200 and under?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Good optics cost more than $200. Try the Leupold 20X.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:32:50 AM EDT
[#10]
When on a budget... it's your choice what to get.
You could look for a used Kowa or an older model used Champions Choice.
I looked for long eye relief, clear optics, and angled tube/eye piece.
I can wear my eyeglasses plus shooting glasses over them & use this scope.
It's not waterproof, which most shooters would prefer. I slip a plastic bag on it.
Many shooters will prefer 25-30X max for the eye piece (mirage, etc.).
Here's where I got mine new, best price on this model.
www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/product-features.asp?id=794737016#fs
Specs:
45° inclined roof prism especially designed for shooters.
Kit includes low level tripod, case and 836PA photo adapter.
Smooth rubber sheathing.
10 element magenta coated optics.
Air spaced triple lens system.
Eye relief: 33mm/25mm.
Weighs 30oz.; Length 14".
Equipped with sun shade and threaded ocular.
Photo adapter use requires separately sold T-Mount ring matched to camera body, to attach.).
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Can you post a pic of an image from the scope by any chance?

I want to get a decent scope, but it seems like im gonna have to put out some dough for it.  Might just end up doing that.....
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Spotter, Burris Landmark 15x45 60mm and it can be found for $160 with a hard case and small tripod. A rifle scope makes a POOR spotter.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys.  Any other recomendations on spotting scopes?

What do you guys think about this one?
Take a look.

or this one

Swift Lynx
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you want the scope for looking at holes in the target, get a spotting scope, not a telescopic sight.  You should never pick up a rifle and point it at something to determine what it is.  

A telescopic rifle sight is for aiming the weapon not for observation.  Only after you know what it is and want to shoot at it should you pick up the rifle to look through the scope.

+1

Get a KOWA, and remember: "The bitterness of poor quality far outlasts the sweetness of low price."

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Can you post a pic of an image from the scope by any chance?

I want to get a decent scope, but it seems like im gonna have to put out some dough for it.  Might just end up doing that.....

Sorry, don't have a pic "through the scope". It's served its purpose.
I really wanted a Kowa, but, I wanted another AR upper, 3rd Garand, another M1 Carbine, plus more ammo for all...so, I settled for the Swift. If you can swing the bucks, can't beat that Kowa.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Swift makes great rifle scopes but I cannot personally recomend their spotters. That's the Burris but remember when you buy used there is a chance something is not right, you can find them new for $160. Nothing touches this spotter for over twice the price.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Where can i find the Burris for $160?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top