Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2004 5:29:30 AM EDT

I have been using an Aimpoint for over two years and have become very comfortable doing so.  Recently, I have taken more interest in improving shot placement on longer range targets...say 100+ yards.  I am considering an ACOG for for this task.  I really like the TA-11E (for an AR10).  Where I need help is using this optic in cqb scenarios.

I have borrowed a cheap 4x scope from a friend that has similar eye relief and have been playing around with it.  Besides the eye relief being shorter than I like, I can't find the target in the scope very fast...especially at close range.  Should I be keeping both eyes open as with the Aimpoint on close-in targets?  Is it simpy a compromise between speed and magnification that I must learn to live with?

Advice from the experienced needed...Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:56:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Does your borrowed scope have an illuminated reticle? If not, then this may be part of the problem. Using a BAC ACOG (like the TA11E) at close range, you keep both eyes open. Instead of trying to look through the scope, just keep the scope where the reticle is visible but scan for the target. When you see the reticle over the target, fire.

You are basically using binocular vision to trick your brain into combining the wider field of view from the non-dominant eye with the bright, high-contrast BAC reticle from the dominant eye.

Read the general purpose optic thread (if you haven't already) as there is a wealth of information there, especially about BAC ACOGs. The post concerning optical health issues that might make an ACOG less desirable is worth a read before dropping the cash on an ACOG.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:18:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Thanks for the response.

The borrowed scope is not illuminated.  This is going to be tricky.  So maintaining my cheekweld is critical while scanning...yes?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, you will still need a good cheekweld to use the ACOG, though the TA11E is more forgiving than the TA31 in this area. Shooting on the move can be difficult until you get the hang of it and you will lose speed to something like an Aimpoint there.

Not having the borrowed scope illuminated makes it very difficult since BAC depends on a high contrast between the reticle and the target. If there isn't much contrast (and a plain crosshair reticle usually doesn't stand out much) then the reticle gets lost in the background noise and it will be much slower to pick up and use.

For me personally, I find it very difficult to use an unilluminated crosshair in the same manner I can use an ACOG; but some people can do it. If you can get it working with a plain crosshair, then an ACOG will present no problems at all for you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thanks for the response.

The borrowed scope is not illuminated.  This is going to be tricky.  So maintaining my cheekweld is critical while scanning...yes?

Illumination is key to BAC.  In a semi-dim situation I find the reticle of the TA31F to be too dim, but it could be just my eyes.  However, after I mounted an aimpoint to the front of the ACOG (yea yea, call me stupid, but it really helps), I find it that in semi-low light situations the TA31F is much easier to utilize the BAC.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I can make hits with a TA11 on 10" plates out to 400 yards consistently.

Make then considerably smaller (5-6") or further (beyond 450y) or add over 10mph wind and we've got problems.

Using the BAC effect described by Bartholomew_Roberts will speed up everything up close.  If you're still having trouble, try putting a piece of duct tape over the objective lens (don't have it touch the lens, though).  The ACOG will then act like an OEG (occluded eye gunsight) and probably be faster at 0 - 10 yards.

-z
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top