Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 2:40:43 AM EDT
I noticed the other day in the Blue Press Catalog that they have a sight put out by ADCO that sells for like 100 bucks...anyone know about this? Thanks for you time!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Have ya been livin under a rock lately????

This is called a TACPOINT, and there has been more threads about this junk than Carter has "liver-pills".........

Mike
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
put out by adco?

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
put out by adco?

It's in the latest "Blue Press" as noted and yes unless I'm mistaken it's a TACPOINT (covert without the blue lettering).....

Mike

PS - the "Blue Press" is the monthly small mag put out by Dillion Precision Reloading products.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:38:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
put out by adco?

One of many reasons why we're known as Adco Firearms, not ADCO.

Thanx so much for clearing that up. I thought you were the one and the same.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#6]
its not the Tacpoint...maybe this will help..look a little more into before making a blanket statement next time.
the ADCO:

the TACPOINT:

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Have ya been livin under a rock lately????

This is called a TACPOINT, and there has been more threads about this junk than Carter has "liver-pills".........

Mike

BUZZ! Try again. I've asked this question before. It's not the Tacpoint, but no one seems to know how reliable it is.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#8]
i thought they were trying to use the adco name to sell cheap scopes, whew, gotta watch that
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:23:50 AM EDT
[#9]
While TRUE, I might have been mistaken about it being the TACPOINT, anyone who actually LOOKS at the ADCO ad on page 58 of the October issue of the Blue Press will clearly see that the "pic" shown there clearly, AIN'T the one shown above.

It's the reverse view, which when view'd from the porcelain throne while conducting daily reading don't look that different from the aforementioned TACPOINT.

FWIW, one thing I was correct about is that's it's junk! something only posers and wannabe Rambos would waste their hard earned dollars on.....(here's a tip for you folks, ya know who you are - "QUALITY" ya only pay for ONCE!!)

Mike
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:46:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:31:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Please try and control the name calling. If you KNOW something about the scope, that's great, but I am getting tired of every guy who posts here about some inexpensive scope being called names.

What somebody take a dump in your Cheerios this morning, Clueless???

Ya woke this morning and decided to become the defender of all the "suckers" around here that have a "quality vs junk" recognition problem?????

"Posers" or "Rambos" are not NAMES, those are STEREOTYPES just like "suckers", look it up in a dictionary, but you should know this already, shouldn't ya.......

BTW, if ya don't like my advice, don't take it.....

Mike
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:34:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:10:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Holy Hostility Batman!

Well said, Aimless.  I think lots of us on ARFCom are getting sick and tired of the negativity and name calling.  I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'd love to know what is it about the Tacpoint that makes people so insane?

Will  

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Holy Hostility Batman!

Well said, Aimless.  I think lots of us on ARFCom are getting sick and tired of the negativity and name calling.  I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'd love to know what is it about the Tacpoint that makes people so insane?

Will  

Then go visit the optics section, and do some looking.

I don't think any of it needs to be repeated again, because along with that will come the bullshit, again.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Aimless--Very good point about being helpfull, and not demeaning people asking questions.

I too am interested in the TacPoint, but have decided to wait and study the issue a little more, but there is a group the really HATES the TacPoint.  What is it about them (the Tacpoints) that people hate?  I need a good red-dot so I can co-witness my sights with, and the TacPoint seems to provide a good solution, but theres alot of bad feelings.  Are there a capable Scope or not?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I believe it is too new for anyone to have any experience with it.  I haven't seen it anywhere other than in the Blue Press, and they lsit it on their website as "coming soon" so it might not even be out yet.  The price is pretty steep, though, at $200.  Of coruse,  it comes with its own cantilever mount, but I doubt the mount is worth the price difference bewtween this sight and a Tacpoint.  I believe a Tacpoint goes for around $120, well under $150 at least, I'm not sure on the exact price.  I can't see it being much better than a Tacpoint, though I can't be sure.  Considering the Tacpoint is great for a recreational red dot that can take more abuse than most other "budget" dot sights, it is the best deal goiing.  I can't see the Adco sight being much better, so it is pretty high priced from my first impression.  considering you could get a Tacpoint for $80 less or an Aimpoint Comp C for a hundred dollars more, I'd wait and not rush into getting one of these and se how it is recevied when it is in more widespread circulation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
FWIW, one thing I was correct about is that's it's junk! something only posers and wannabe Rambos would waste their hard earned dollars on.....(here's a tip for you folks, ya know who you are - "QUALITY" ya only pay for ONCE!!)

Mike

So you've used this sight and know all about it?  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Tell me what you intend to use it for and I'll give you my opinion on it.

C'mon, will the intended use change your opinion????
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
what is it about the Tacpoint that makes people so insane?

You're just going to have to become a paying member to get that search button.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:18:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

Do ya have to drive a Volkswagon to know it ain't Porsche?

Do you have to purchase a Jennings to know it's nuthin like a HK or a Sig Sauer?

Do ya actually have to wipe your ass with a corn-cob to know that Charmin bathroom tissue would be easier on your butt?

Perhaps you need to do these sort of comparision, before makin a decision, me???

Thankfully I can tell the difference between "quality" and junk without wasting my hard earned money as I made most of those mistakes when I was young, (age does have it's advantages in some respects). Lord knows I tossed plenty of money away as a whipper-snapper on junk optics, before I bit my lip and bought my first LEUPOLD, once the value of "quality" becomes a part of your decision makin process, ya don't give a second look or wonder what your missing with cheap optics.

My Father taught me this, when ya ain't rich ya learn (if your lucky) that "quality" provides a value far greater than the money expended to attain it. I know this from the "quality" exhibited by the Aimpoints on my M4s down to the Metzler tires on my scoot, sure they cost alittle more, but my life is worth it, I deserve it and whether you believe it or not, so do you and everyone else in the world.

Don't make the same mistakes we've all made, don't waste your money on junk, take a look at what those who's lives are on the line everyday have on their rifles, you'll not see any of these "imitators" on the majority of rifles in the sandbox today or ten years from now, that alone should tell ya somethin.

You chose what ya like, perhaps your rich enough to toss money away, I ain't, never was, never will be and I suspect most aren't, but one things for certain, the day ya learn the difference between "quality" and junk, is the day you'll find you've aquired something money can't buy......, it's called "character".

Think about it........
Mike
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

Do ya have to drive a Volkswagon to know it ain't Porsche?

Do you have to purchase a Jennings to know it's nuthin like a HK or a Sig Sauer?

Do ya actually have to wipe your ass with a corn-cob to know that Charmin bathroom tissue would be easier on your butt?

Perhaps you need to do these sort of comparision, before makin a decision, me???

Thankfully I can tell the difference between "quality" and junk without wasting my hard earned money as I made most of those mistakes when I was young, (age does have it's advantages in some respects). Lord knows I tossed plenty of money away as a whipper-snapper on junk optics, before I bit my lip and bought my first LEUPOLD, once the value of "quality" becomes a part of your decision makin process, ya don't give a second look or wonder what your missing with cheap optics.

My Father taught me this, when ya ain't rich ya learn (if your lucky) that "quality" provides a value far greater than the money expended to attain it. I know this from the "quality" exhibited by the Aimpoints on my M4s down to the Metzler tires on my scoot, sure they cost alittle more, but my life is worth it, I deserve it and whether you believe it or not, so do you and everyone else in the world.

Don't make the same mistakes we've all made, don't waste your money on junk, take a look at what those who's lives are on the line everyday have on their rifles, you'll not see any of these "imitators" on the majority of rifles in the sandbox today or ten years from now, that alone should tell ya somethin.

You chose what ya like, perhaps your rich enough to toss money away, I ain't, never was, never will be and I suspect most aren't, but one things for certain, the day ya learn the difference between "quality" and junk, is the day you'll find you've aquired something money can't buy......, it's called "character".

Think about it........
Mike

Well, you've got SOMETHING.  Don't know if I'd call it "character" though.

To use your analogy, a person that only needs to drive back and forth to work doesn't NEED a Porsche, a Volkswagen will do just fine.  Especially when the Porsche cost three times as much.

This forum is becoming infected with this elitists, armchair commando bullshit.  What is with this misguided notion that everyone that owes an AR needs to use it in a combat situation to defend their life and American freedoms.  What is wrong with only hunting with it?  What is wrong with only shooting at a "square range" as Lumpy so crassly put it?  What is wrong with only being a three gun competitor?  Many on here seem to have a very narrow view of what firearm ownership is all about and if you don't fit their view you're an idiot.  

P.S. - Lumpy, as a moderator, perhaps you should try and think how your words will be taken before you type.  There ARE people that only shoot at a range and may not appreciate their activities being called "ballistic masterbation" (correct spelling = masturbation)".
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Considering the Tacpoint is great for a recreational red dot that can take more abuse than most other "budget" dot sights, it is the best deal goiing.  

My problem is, I've seen pretty much zero empirical data to support that statement.  I contend the Bushnell Trophy 1x30 and the Tasco PDP6 will both outperform the Tacpoint.  There's a fair amount of empirical data for those two optics.

The only conclusion I can draw from your statement is that you, and others who are drawing those same conclusions, are doing so simply because this optic "looks like" an Aimpoint.   There is little or no evidence to date that will support that conclusion.   About the only evidence we have is that it will survive the recoil of an AR-15 and that nightvisionweb.com was willing to replace one that had been submerged in water (although it is my understanding they won't do it again).  

The problem most "Tacpoint haters" are having is that statements about the reliability and durability of the Tacpoint are based on almost pure speculation and no real data.  At this point we *really* don't know if this Aimpoint lookalike is any better quality-wise than a $30 BSA.  And actually, there has been one Tacpoint owner who claims it is *no* better than a $30 BSA.

That's the facts as I know them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
This forum is becoming infected with this elitists, armchair commando Airsofter and Wannabe bullshit.  

Here, I fixed your quote for you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow, two whole days with out the playground bullshit.  You guys should be proud.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#29]
This could easily be solved by the creation AIRSOFT forum......

Let the kids have their playground and the ones who use real stuff theirs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
This could easily be solved by the creation AIRSOFT forum......

Let the kids have their playground and the ones who use real stuff theirs.

Hey AZ-K9, Thanks for proving my point. I think we need a few more "tacpoints are for airsoft" posts before  this thread goes to complete shit. Thanks for contributing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Some airsofters use real Aimpoints.

There are cheap POS privately purchased optics in use by soldiers (especially on top of M14s).

Doesn't really mean much either way.

The better stuff is better( and costs more).  The cheap stuff is cheaper(and usually sucks).  Sometimes there are items that come along that are reasonably good for a lower price, sometimes not.

Is some middle class urban civilian with all of the best high speed toys on his rifle a bigger poser than an airsoft commando?  That's a tough call.  The airsofties are goofier, but at least they don't take themselves so seriously.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Some airsofters use real Aimpoints.

There are cheap POS privately purchased optics in use by soldiers (especially on top of M14s).

Doesn't really mean much either way.

The better stuff is better( and costs more).  The cheap stuff is cheaper(and usually sucks).  Sometimes there are items that come along that are reasonably good for a lower price, sometimes not.

Is some middle class urban civilian with all of the best high speed toys on his rifle a bigger poser than an airsoft commando?  That's a tough call.  The airsofties are goofier, but at least they don't take themselves so seriously.

+1
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

What is funny is that the "elitists" think this forum is becoming infected with AIRSOFT COMMANDOS. So it goes both ways. Also, Lumpy being a moderator doesn't mean that he has to PC his comments. The reason why he was made a Mod is because of his knowledge of Tactical gear and AR's. So would you rather have him censor his comment so as not to offend the windo lickers???

C4

What's funny is that I'll bet half the "elitists" on this forum are fat middle aged farts who couldn't complete a 2 mile run let alone go into combat with their milspec ARs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is funny is that the "elitists" think this forum is becoming infected with AIRSOFT COMMANDOS. So it goes both ways. Also, Lumpy being a moderator doesn't mean that he has to PC his comments. The reason why he was made a Mod is because of his knowledge of Tactical gear and AR's. So would you rather have him censor his comment so as not to offend the windo lickers???

C4

What's funny is that I'll bet half the "elitists" on this forum are fat middle aged farts who couldn't complete a 2 mile run let alone go into combat with their milspec ARs.

So what does that make you?  A fat teenager?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
....please control the urge to start wacking away on the keyboard.....

In case that does happen, what's the best cleaner to clean it up with, or should this go the Maint & Cleaning board?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
That didn't take long. If you have something constructive to add about an optic, please contribute, if you have nothing more to add than insulting anyone who asks about an inexpensive optic OR name calling, please control the urge to start wacking away on the keyboard. The insult flinging from everyone needs to stop in this forum. I would hope that that would happen voluntarily.

I have only one last thing to say, and that is you need to reel in your moderators.  If people see site staff or moderators doing it they feel they can do it to.  I've never seen YOU do it, but we know there are others.  They need to do what my drill sergeant in the army taught me, "lead by example".
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Lumpy is moderator of the Galil forum, not the Optics forum.   He has no powers here, he can't edit/delete etc., and is basically no different than any regular member/Team Member.    

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:09:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
That's no excuse for jumping into every thread where some guy asks about an inexpensive optic with this condescending window lickers and airsoft stuff trying to pick fights with guys who are just looking for help. If you don't want to deal with less experienced shooters than stay out of these threads.

Good point. I would have said it like this though:
That's no excuse for jumping into every thread where some guy asks about an inexpensive optic with this condescending window lickers and airsoft stuff trying to pick fights with guys who are just looking for help. If you don't want to deal with less experienced shooters than stay out of these threads
I seriously doubt it would do any good though.

Strick909
Certified Gucci Gear Queer with a tacpoint,too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
...Instead too many of the "elitists" are acting like catty high school girls.

*edited because: Aw screw it, it's not worth it...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#46]
OK............just got here...........Uhh.....Which is more Mil Spec, Colt or Bushmaster?  Right????????
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:56:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top