Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2004 9:56:10 AM EDT
Seems like there's a new crop of smaller, variable power scopes out now that are starting to get lots of attention.  The two that come to mind are the US Optics SN-4, which has been discussed here before, and the Schmidt Bender CQB Police Marksman, link here: http://www.schmidtbender.com/scopes_policemarksman.shtml

I'm curious to learn what folks see as the advantages to these scopes (affordability is not one!) over "older" scopes like the ACOG TA01 NSN and others?  

I was also surprised to see that the US military seems to be getting in on the action.  The US Optics site says that the SN-4 is currently used by US military forces, including the SEALs.  And I've recently seen a couple pics from the sandbox showing US SOFs or contractors with similar-looking optics (at least one was from Lightfighter.com).   Is this the new trend?

Thanks for any info/feedback.

Will  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#1]
these scopes are super clear.  I would say unnecessarily clear.  Most people don’t have perfect vision so buying a scope like this would not help them much.  Most folks can do just as good with a Leupold or (gulp) tasco scope so why spend the extra money for quality you can’t use?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#2]
A distinction ought to be made between field-elevation-adjustable scopes such as you'd see on a mid-range or SPR, vs. those without any external adjustments such as the ACOG.

-z
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#3]
The variable does something that most want - excellent CQB red dot and magnification and BDC at longer ranges.

NF has the 1-4,
USO has another scope in the works too.  A fewof us where at SHOT last year and listening/discussing it and the S&B scope with the companies - the idea was for a Red Dot at 1x then a reticle to be visible at magnification (I am not a techy so no idea if it even possible)

These are all enduser driven for not everyone seems to think the TA31 E-COS is the way to go.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Agree on variable for versatility.  

A couple things I think Trijicon got right with the ACOG:

1. compact size due to roof prism design.  Both the TA31 and TA11's are much more compact than conventional designs like Leupold, S&B, and NF.   The USO's are large and heavy.

2. used ambient light to "power" the lit reticle.   We don't have to depend on batteries (still a good option to have), and it "self-adjusts" for brightness

-z
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Zak,

Thanks.  Actually, you helped answer one of my questions in a round-about way.  The fact that these newer models have "field-adjustability" is clearly a major difference that likely contributes to their increasing popularity (and their higher prices).

The pics I saw of these scopes showed them all mounted on M4s type carbines, one of which was on a contractor's SBR (maybe 8-inch?) upper, which seemed like a poor choice to me.  

However, I suspect that the claim of "SEAL usage" on the US Optics
site means that the SEALs are using the SN-4 on their mid-length "recce rifles"?

Anyone know more?

Will
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks.  Actually, you helped answer one of my questions in a round-about way.  The fact that these newer models have "field-adjustability" is clearly a major difference that likely contributes to their increasing popularity (and their higher prices).

The way I see it, there are two applications that these two types meet.

1. ACOG-type, general purpose, good for full size silhouettes to 500 yards, 10" squares to about 400.  Hold-over is accomplished with built-in BDC and windage hold-off is done kentucky-style.   The zero cannot be "bumped" accidentally because the adjustment screws are covered all the time.

2. medium-range/SPR, a "precision" optic with externally adjustable windage & elevation knobs.  good for as much precision as your rifle can shoot.  hold-over for large targets can be done using the mildots, hold-over for small targets done using elevation knob.  windage can be done using either.   these generally have no "BAC" capability (see TA31/TA11 ACOG) because their lit reticles are not bright enough, and there is always the change the adjustment knobs will be bumped off your zero when moving.

I see a place for both types, until something revolutionary comes out.  I think the TA11 ACOG is the best of the first type.  It is out of its element, however, at precise targets 200m or further, and at ranges closer than 20-40m.   I'm not really satisfied with the current SPR/medium range optics either, see this thread for more discussion: AR15.Com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=199656&page=1

-z
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The SN4 is in no way a "new" scope.  Its been around for several years.  Its also not in use in any large number by our military.  I guess its just new to you.

The SOPMOD 2 magnified optic is suppused to be a variable 1-4X scope with bright lit reticle with long battery life (or tritium/fiber optic), waterproof, shock proof etc.  This is the right direction to me for a universal optic.

Any general purpose magnified optic needs to be under 16oz and preferably under 14oz.  I know there are AT LEAST 3 different bodies for the SN4 so the weight and size issue mat not be as bad as many have believed.  However I just can justify a scope costing in excess of  $1500 for any purpose.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]
DevL,

Fair enough about the "new"part, but I think it's clear that this category of optic is attracting greater attention than they were before.  So, maybe it's just the "buzz" that's relatively new--not the optic.

I'm still interested to hear more about pros/cons, as well as any info on US military usage?

Thanks.  

Will

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#9]
SOPMOD II shit the bed on the E-COS downselect  - TA31 ACOG (w/ M4/M855 reticle) XM-145 ELCAN (YUCK) and the EOTECH 554 w/ Magnifier.

As far as the 1-4 variable is it a desired not require item of E-COS - but some units( that can) are buying the variable systems.

Basicload [from LF] has a pic of his curent IRAQI blaster up with the S&B 1.1-4 on it in a custom made for him LaRue mount...

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't understand it.  The AR really wants eye relief of 2 - 2.5", not 3+" like most of these conventional scopes have.

-z
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Zak - I cant figure it out either.

I shoot NTCH if I can - and in trying some of the variable offerings they just dont work well with the AR IMHO

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Zak - I cant figure it out either.
I shoot NTCH if I can - and in trying some of the variable offerings they just dont work well with the AR IMHO

That's one of my big complaints with the 2.5-10 NXS (the other is you can't tell what revolution the elevation knob is on and there's no zero-stop), and even the M/RT.

I wouldn't mind the eye relief issue so much if the scopes could be no more than about 5" long.  But a 17-21oz scope mounted way over the fore-end screws up the weapon's balance and requires more complex mounting options.

-z
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top