Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2004 11:45:36 AM EDT
I want a TA31F very bad, but don't have the money. What can anybody recommend for closer to maybe $400? I've seen one by IOR or something for around that. I want basically the same features the ACOG has (battery power is ok) I want 3 or 4X, a CQB reticle and decent quality (you get what you pay for I know). Any ideas? or should I tough out the wait and save my pennies for the ACOG?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Elcan with a 4th generation mount.

Probably closer to $500 new and $400 used.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
If the ACOG is what you really want, there is a good chance you will wind up buying one some day because you won't be happy with whatever else you purchase.  With that said, would you rather save up for a while and spend $900 or so now, or spend $400 now and then another $900 or so on top of that when you finally get your ACOG?  If your heart isn't set on the ACOG, I have heard some good things about IOR optics, and some others have posted that they have gotten good results from some of the variable lower magnification Leupolds.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If the ACOG is what you really want, there is a good chance you will wind up buying one some day because you won't be happy with whatever else you purchase.  With that said, would you rather save up for a while and spend $900 or so now, or spend $400 now and then another $900 or so on top of that when you finally get your ACOG?  If your heart isn't set on the ACOG, I have heard some good things about IOR optics, and some others have posted that they have gotten good results from some of the variable lower magnification Leupolds.

very true... just wait and get it when you have the money... you won't be happy unless you do... nothing... NOTHING... did i say nothing comes close to the acog...  

you may want to revisit what you want in an optic... because if the BDC doesn't really matter to you... a compact acog maybe what your looking at...  if all you want to do is CQB... the aimpoint will serve you best...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for taking the time to share some advise guys...
Maybe I'll pickup an eotech for a temporary optic while I save up for an ACOG, instead of wasting money on a cheaper 4X scope (because I think I do have my heart set on an ACOG) I thought about the compact ACOGs but I would like the BDC...thanks again guys, if anyone else has more advise I'd still like to hear it!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you have a good strategy at hand. The EOtech is a different kind of optic than the ACOG, so it would do you well to have both (of course you will need two uppers to have each mounted and zeroed!!).

Save your money for a TA31F, but be prepared to go in the hole to get one. With the TA31F being the latest military optic fad, they are getting rarer then hens teeth. One at my local gun shop did not even last a day.....at full retail. I just bought one myself from RBprecision for a grand and count myself lucky.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I like my plan.  Pick up a nice used eotech/aimpoint/compact acog and have fun with these fine optics and if you find a good deal on the TA31 then just sell the former optic (they hold their value real well) and use that money for the TA31.  I started with an eotech 511 sold it bought a 552 sold it bought a compact 3x24 acog (these are really nice and utilize BAC and have 3x magnification) sold it to buy the TA31.  Once something is used it takes a price hit after that if you take care of it you can usually always get close to what you bought it for when you decide to resell.  I find myself doing this so often it is really like I am just renting something till I get bored with it and get something else.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
(they hold their value real well)

Every Acog I bought went up $100-150 this year, IF you can find one.    I always see used ones selling for more than what I paid new.   When I sell any other brand optic (i.e. EOtech), I take a hit and lose some money.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally posted by Kisera  "Every Acog I bought went up $100-150 this year, IF you can find one. I always see used ones selling for more than what I paid new. When I sell any other brand optic (i.e. EOtech), I take a hit and lose some money.

Excellent point on the ACOGs.  And if you lose some money on your aimpoint or whatever whats 20 bucks if you had for X months.  It is a fun and bizzare addiction.  I just hope my wife doesn't run off with the UPS man cause she sees him more than me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Elcan with a 4th generation mount.

Probably closer to $500 new and $400 used.

As far as I can tell, Elcans go for $950 - $1,400.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's an Elcan I just found on Ebay. It's at $485 right now.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31714&item=7108511824&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, just as I was about to poo poo that by pointing out that it has 5 days left, I checked completed items and noticed that was a relisting because it didn't sell for $500 and there's a completed auction for one that went for $535.  Consider me shocked and amazed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I sold my Elcan with a 3rd gen mount for $375 a few months back. The 4th gen mount is an absolute necessity.

The first two numbers in the serial number are year of manufacture. The one on Ebay is from 99. The tritium is more than half spent.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top