Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 6:37:49 AM EDT
This question has really been bugging me.  Which one would you chose?

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like the compactness of the N cell, but the AA provides better battery life, cheaper batteries and the AAs work better in cold weather.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I really like the compactness of the N cell, but the AA provides better battery life, cheaper batteries and the AAs work better in cold weather.

+1
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the AA version. Longer battery life and easier to get replacements whenthey go dead.  Just remove the batteries if you are going to store the site for any length of time. You don't want them to leak and ruin your Eotech.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#5]
AA Hands down.

Longer Battery Life
Easier to find more at your local store
I use AAs in other gear so I always have a 'backup source'
RECHARGABLES - the AA versions can use NiMH batteries!!
LITHIUMS - there is a Lithium AA which is better for cold weather use and long term storage.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the compact N battery type.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
AA Hands down.

Longer Battery Life
Easier to find more at your local store
I use AAs in other gear so I always have a 'backup source'
RECHARGABLES - the AA versions can use NiMH batteries!!
LITHIUMS - there is a Lithium AA which is better for cold weather use and long term storage.

+1 even though I currently own the N version.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
IH8Toyguns_tacpoints, nice screen name!

C4

I love it.  I wonder who's troll account that is?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#10]
AA's all the way for the reasons stated above!

Not to mention that N batteries are for HOMO's...
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
    I love it.  I wonder who's troll account that is?

I was thinking Lumpy - but Lumpy would NEVER admit to owning an "EOThingy"
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ho

I was thinking Lumpy - but Lumpy would NEVER admit to owning an "EOThingy"

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=206835&page=1

He WOULD own one instead of a Tripower though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Depends. Do you go on long patrols or are you a range shooter? I personally like the 551 for the compactness, but if I was in the Military I would ONLY have the 552....

+2
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Just picked up a 552 this afternoon. I've always got bunches of AA batteries around the house...
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#16]
AA

Lithium AA's in my 512 are "supposed" to last like 1100 hours.

Wally World 4 pack like $9 and some change.

Danny

P.S. Got mine from Grant
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#17]
AA all the way. Cheaper power source, longer runtime, ability to use Lithium in cold weather. N cells are more difficult to find while AA's are the workhorse battery for many electronics which means less problems with availability. Important if SHTF. Only disadvantage is less compact and weight but the advantages greatly outweigh (no pun intended) the disadvantages.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#18]
AA.  N type batteries are only availalble in alkaline and not lithium.  Lithiums deal better with higher and lower temperatures than alkaline, so that eliminates the "N" models for really serious work.  Lithiums also last a heckuva lot oonger than alkaline batteries, so it is nice to have that option.  Also, I have a lot of spare AA batts around for things other than optics, so I always have spares in a pinch.  

I've said this before and I'll say it again, and I know there are many who agree with me, that the compact EOTechs need to be converted to taking 123 batts instead of the N cells.  That way, you can have lithium batteries in a more compact package and have power source compatibility with SF and LD weaponlights.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#19]
If you have the room, I'd go with AA. N cell would be my choice if I needed the compactness.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I like the compact N battery type.

+1
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:44:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
.. trim ..

the compact EOTechs need to be converted to taking 123 batts instead of the N cells.  

..trim ..

Okay, that was an eye opener!  N cells, NOT 123A's.  That's a no-brainer in my little world where I have a bazillian double A's and a half-bazillion 123A's.  

Thanks so much knightone and thanks also to those that have replied so far.  I appreciate the feedback.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:21:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.. trim ..

the compact EOTechs need to be converted to taking 123 batts instead of the N cells.  

..trim ..

Okay, that was an eye opener!  N cells, NOT 123A's.  That's a no-brainer in my little world where I have a bazillian double A's and a half-bazillion 123A's.  

Thanks so much knightone and thanks also to those that have replied so far.  I appreciate the feedback.

Persoanlly, I'm surprised they haven't done it already.  IMHO, they should seriously consider it.  123As are better performers than the N cells.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:58:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Get an aimpoint then you'll have a compact lithium cell and longer battery life.  I bought an eotech and quickly realized the error of my ways.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Persoanlly, I'm surprised they haven't done it already.  IMHO, they should seriously consider it.  123As are better performers than the N cells.

I think the only reason they haven't so far is it would require a redesign of the body to be a bit taller.

Molds cost $$.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#26]
AAs for me.  I've always got AAs laying around...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
.. trim ..

..trim ..

They are considering it!

C4

Good news!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Get an aimpoint then you'll have a compact lithium cell and longer battery life.  I bought an eotech and quickly realized the error of my ways.

Different strokes for...well, you know the rest.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the only reason they haven't so far is it would require a redesign of the body to be a bit taller.

Molds cost $$.

Understood.  

Still, they did add the AA models to the lineup a few years ago.  I think, in the long run, it might be better to discontinue the "N" cell line for a new 123A line, as I'm sure a lot more compact models would be sold if that were the case; especially by those taking the optic into more harsh environments.  It just adds another and a better choice for those who are using the optic for "real".  

Having the sight be taller might not be a bad thing.  If it were tall enough, then the Larue QD mount wouldn't be needed for a more uncluttered cowitness.  I hope the fact that the larue mount has sold so well tells the people at EOTech that a lot of people prefer the cowitness in the lower third and not in the center.  It would also be the cheaper solution for those who like the 1/3 cowtness and don't want to pay an extra hundred for a mount when there is aleready a perfectly good mount built into the optic.  

The AA model can be kept for those who do like the irons in the center of the screen and for those who do like to use the QD and zero repeatable features of the Larue throw lever system to get 1/3 cowitness.  I think a CR123 model would have a more unique niche over the AA model and both will have its own market.  I think the advantage of the "N" cell model's compactness doesn't begin to outweighs the negatives of its battery choice.  

The only other option would be for EOTech to get someone to develop a lithium N cell.  Or perhaps we can hold out hope that someone will consider a lithium option for such a little used battery type.  I understand that financial strain is always a big consideration, but I think this is an innovation that is needed for the compact EOTech line.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top