Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2004 5:40:56 PM EDT
I dont have a hard time finding these for HBAR, but dont seem to come across any for sale for the small barrels...Anyone use ths setup? Got pics?

Thanks guys

~Crpdeth
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:09:39 AM EDT
[#1]
BUMP
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:15:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:10:34 AM EDT
[#3]
MSTN: Thanks for the response...

I do not actually plan to hang stuff off of it, the most I would attach to it will/would be a flip-up sight...The reason for my post is: I plan to purchase DD or similar quad rail, and I just dont like the look of the rail system with factory sights, the continuation that the afore mentioned gas block gives is the appearance that I am after...A flip up sight otherwise installed on the short carbine model rail system, IMHO takes up unneccesary space, and looks out of place.

I like to research all my options before buying an expensive item that will not work with other components that I previously perceived utilizing together.

This one is a DPMS with fixed carry handle, 16" barrel.

Thanks for your help, I've researched this stuff till my brain is numb, and I still haven't gotten to the installation process yet, which I'd love to do myself.

~Crpdeth
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yankee Hill has some three rail gas blocks for the pencil thin barrels. They are selling for about $54.00. These are non-cataloged, but the one I bought had a part # of YHM-9380 and was described as: 3 Rail Gas Block .625.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks alot Mic...

How do you have the particular firearm that you bought it for setup?

~Crpdeth
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I am in the process of taking my old CAR-15 SP-1 and turning it into a light barreled flatop. I bought a RRA flatop upper and I am going to have the pencil thin (.625) barrel installed on it. I have the YHM railed handguards and I got the three railed gas block so I can add a folding front sight. My next purchase is going to be an EoTech sight and I did not want the front sight to get in the way. I am keeping the lower with the collapsible stock. I am adding a Daniel Defense single point sling mount to the lower. My last mod was to switch out the birdcage flash suppressor with an old style three prong one (very retro, but I like the look).

FYI:: I like the YHM 3 rail gas block, but it installs with set screws up from the bottom. I am going to have a gunsmith drill a couple of small holes into the barrel to accept the tip of the set screws and have them secured in place with loctite.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a good looking setup...Stickman reccomended that I take a look at the YHM quad rail systems, which I did, I really think I want to go with something "upper end" like DD just because I work hard and I deserve it, but the YHM systems look like a good value, what do you think about them?

~Crpdeth
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with the YHM forend for the cost ($112.00) and ease of installation( they just snap into place). I find that they are very durable and do not shift with use. MSTN is right about the railed gas blocks and forends though, the more stuff you hang on them the more it will effect accuracy. The only attachment I have ever put on up to now is a Streamlight M-3 flashlight. Eventually it will get a vertical hand grip.  It is not a "Free float" system like the other railed hand guard are, but, for me, this set up is not meant to be a tack driver. That is what my other upper (HBAR) is for.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#9]
If you don't need to mount equipment on it Yankee Hill makes a flip front sight gas block all in one.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I went with the YHM forend for the cost ($112.00) and ease of installation( they just snap into place). I find that they are very durable and do not shift with use. MSTN is right about the railed gas blocks and forends though, the more stuff you hang on them the more it will effect accuracy. The only attachment I have ever put on up to now is a Streamlight M-3 flashlight. Eventually it will get a vertical hand grip.  It is not a "Free float" system like the other railed hand guard are, but, for me, this set up is not meant to be a tack driver. That is what my other upper (HBAR) is for.  

My first thoughts were as you say...This is a CQB setup and super accuracy is not important, but the more I think about it, I think I will try to go with a free floating system, kinda "just because I can"and I may want to use an HBAR on this rig someday, and I'll already have the FF Rails....It does sound as though installiation will be more of a pain, but I can always have my gunsmith buddy help if it comes to that...

Armorer:

Thanks for the help, I have noticed the flip up sight gas blocks at YMH, but I just dont think they have the "look" I want...Somehow the railed blocks give it something that I like.

Thanks for all the help Guys

~Crpdeth
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top