Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 8:59:21 PM EDT
I'm going to get a Grendel here real soon, and I have been thinking of a scope to put on it and I just cant make up my mind.  So I thought I'd ask everyone here since some outside veiws will be good.  I'm going to get the barrel in 18" - 20" range havent made up my mind on this yet.  I'm going to use it for hunting but also I'll use it for shooting long range(100-300 yards and possible more!) I thought about the MR/T since its made for the AR Platform or maybe a LR/T....I also thought of IOR or possibly ???

Bigant
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:38:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the IOR is a great scope for that platform... as would be the MR/T but I don't have any experience with that scope... this is my IOR that (when I finally crap myself the cash) will be on my 6.5 SPR upper...

my 200m group from the other day- not Black Hills like I usually run but just some ammo I grabbed from the store before I went...

This is the IOR 2.5-10x42 tactical scope- I got lucky and have an older model with the FFP (first focal plane) reticle (I can range at any power setting because the reticle changes size with the power)....

-Roth
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:29:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Both Leupolds you mentioned are good choices.  I have the MR/T with M1 knobs and an LR/T (4.5-14x50) with M1 knobs and they are excellent scopes, especially in their respective price range.  Not sure what your budget is, but there are many choices in high end optics these days depending on how much you can/want to spend.  At the distances you plan on shooting, you may also want to consider a Zeiss Conquest.  I have one in 4.5-14x44 and the glass is incredible on that scope.  The only drawback is the 1" tube which limits adjustments for very long range shooting.  Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought the terminal ballistics of the Grendel was superior at ranges past 300 yards?

If you plan on hunting with the rifle, I would put the weight of the optic and mounting platform as a consideration.  IORs are built like tanks, but weigh like tanks too!

Where do you plan on doing most of your hunting? Open field, heavy brush or from a tree stand?  Depending on where you hunt, can make a huge difference in the optic which best suits your needs.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I chose a 8.5-25 LR/T for my Grendel, but it's not ideal for big-game hunting, it has too much magnification for close shots.   I think the MR/T would be perfect for your application, or (since you seem to be looking at pricey scopes) a Nightforce NXS 2.5x-10x.   Just about any scope that will go down to 3x or lower would be good.

You might want to also ask for suggestions on SWFA's forum: www.opticstalk.com/

I thought the terminal ballistics of the Grendel was superior at ranges past 300 yards?

In my opinion, the Grendel is the best "mid-bore" AR-15 cartridge for deer at any range.   It beats the 6.8SPC because it can use heavier (120-150+) bullets that are designed for big game hunting and give a better chance at the bullet retaining weight (fragmenting is bad for big game hunting) and achieving complete penetration.  

The "big bores" (.458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf) are probably far superior to all other AR-15 calibers for hunting inside 150 yards.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top