Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2004 3:20:48 AM EDT
Is anyone using this free float product from PRI? I'm looking for the carbine length and also adding the A.R.M.S full length rail to secure the reciever to the hand guard. Is this PRI piece light weight -- I have the slim profile S.I.R. that is quite heavy. How is the quality,fit , finish of the carbon fiber hand guard? ---- Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:37:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The quality of the PRI forend is second to none. The fit and finish is excellent, and they are extremely light and durable. All in all I am completely satisfied with mine

At the moment I only have a pic of mine in pieces, but here it is anyway:

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:10:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I played with a midlength upper that had the PRI carbon tube on it that JTAC had put together and freaking loved it.  It was unreal how light it was.  I have YHM 4 railed handguards on mine but if you want round ones then that carbon fiber PRI is what I would get.  I also don't like the full length rail on the top but that's just me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#4]
What happened to the ARMS #38 SPR Mod rails?  Are they going to become "rare, collectibles" like Brookfield M1A parts?

Paladin
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:39:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#6]
According to the Hanguard thread.  The PRI tube is not very light. 16 oz for the midlength version, no weight for the carbine length, but I'm guessing around 12-14 oz.

For comparison: DD7.0 is 8.5 oz
                     YHM lightweight is 10 oz
                     stock handguards and all mounting hardware is ~7.0 oz

The PRI tubes are VERY nice, but I would say there is nothing lightweight about them.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The PRI tubes are VERY nice, but I would say there is nothing lightweight about them.

Any rails not in use can be removed from the PRI, lightening it.    A PRI tube with no rails and an aluminum barrel nut is lighter than JP's lightweight competition tube, but probably heavier than a single-piece Briley carbon fiber tube.

-z

ETA:
A rifle-length PRI tube
[ link to LARGER image ]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any rails not in use can be removed from the PRI, lightening it.    A PRI tube with no rails and an aluminum barrel nut is lighter than JP's lightweight competition tube, but probably heavier than a single-piece Briley carbon fiber tube.

-z

Any idea on just how light that is?

If you are going to compare the PRI to a SIR or any other railed handguard you have to consider the rails. However, because you can remove rails instead of add panels a realistic weight would be PRI with top rail and three short rails at 3,6,9 o'clock.  

Anybody have a weight on that?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I had one.  Great quality and stability.  Light wouldn't be one of the words that I would use to describe it, though.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Any idea on just how light that is?

If you are going to compare the PRI to a SIR or any other railed handguard you have to consider the rails. However, because you can remove rails instead of add panels a realistic weight would be PRI with top rail and three short rails at 3,6,9 o'clock.  

Anybody have a weight on that?

I think the guys at MSTN have weighed them.

With regard to rail removal.. if all you need is a BUIS and no PEQ-2, you can use a short top rail.   If you need neither of those, no reason to have a top rail.  If you are using a standard harris bipod, you can use a bipod stud instead of a bottom rail.  If you don't use a light you can ditch the RH rail.   I use the LH rail for a GG&G sling mount, but you could use a sling stud here instead.  If you are using a VFG, you can add a short rail on the botto towards the rear.

Using an aluminum barrel nut will make it lighter still.

-z

ETA.  I don't see how a fore-end composed entirely of aluminum can be lighter than the same size fore-end made of 3/4 carbon fiber and 1/4 aluminum.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think the guys at MSTN have weighed them.

Ya, I got my wieght from TheRicker's chart, and he got it from MSTN in the same thread.

ETA.  I don't see how a fore-end composed entirely of aluminum can be lighter than the same size fore-end made of 3/4 carbon fiber and 1/4 aluminum.  

I don't either unless those weights are with a steel barrel nut (do they offer both?)
I think there is definate potential for a robust, ~7.0 oz carbon fiber fore-end, with customizable rails (That's what I want )
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Zak, does PRI offer the aluminum barrel nut you are referring to, or you getting that else where?  I see no mention on the PRI site of what material nut the forearm comes with.

I'm curious because I have been looking in to getting the AR10 rifle length forearm to replace my Armalite 4 rail fiberglass handguard.  My 10 is in need of a diet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Zak, does PRI offer the aluminum barrel nut you are referring to, or you getting that else where?  I see no mention on the PRI site of what material nut the forearm comes with.

I'm curious because I have been looking in to getting the AR10 rifle length forearm to replace my Armalite 4 rail fiberglass handguard.  My 10 is in need of a diet.

The AR15 barrel nut is right here
www.pri-mounts.com/detailpages/05-074-01.htm

Be advised that the AR10 barrel nut is different.  When I put the PRI AR10 tube on my AR10, I had to buy the steel AR10 nut from Armalite.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, Zak.  

That's pretty much what I was figuring, though I didn't see the aluminum nut on the site, don't know how I missed it  

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#15]
PRI tube weights courtesy of PRI:

PRI rifle free float fore with all rails, steel nut 1.19Lbs (19.04 oz.)
PRI free float forearm with steel nut, no rails .855 lb. (13.68 oz.)
PRI rifle free float forearm with aluminum nut, no rails .700 lb. (11.20 oz.)
PRI rifle length, all rails and aluminum nut 1.015 lbs. (16.2 oz.)
PRI carbine length, all rails and steel nut .95 lbs (15.2 oz)
PRI Intermediate forearm with rails 1.010lb. Steel nut(16.2 oz.)
PRI Intermediate Forearm with Rails and High strength Aluminum nut .865lb. (13.8 oz.)
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

PRI rifle free float fore with all rails, steel nut 1.19Lbs (19.04 oz.)
PRI free float forearm with steel nut, no rails .855 lb. (13.68 oz.)
PRI rifle free float forearm with aluminum nut, no rails .700 lb. (11.20 oz.)
PRI rifle length, all rails and aluminum nut 1.015 lbs. (16.2 oz.)
PRI Intermediate forearm with rails 1.010lb. Steel nut(16.2 oz.)
PRI Intermediate Forearm with Rails and High strength Aluminum nut .865lb. (13.8 oz.)

You da man, thanks!

Is this from an email?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#18]
No problem.  Yep....emailed PRI awhile back and recieved that response from Dave Dunlap.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Transfered the info to the:

FAQ: The Big Thread On FF & Railed Forends

in the  Rifles, Uppers, Lowers, Barrels, and more forum.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Any idea the weight of the carbine length PRI with NO rails on it?
How about the weight of the steel nut vs. the aluminum nut?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any idea the weight of the carbine length PRI with NO rails on it?
How about the weight of the steel nut vs. the aluminum nut?

Thanks!

I believe you can deduce those weights from the data posted.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top