Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2004 2:24:02 PM EDT
Have a Colt A3, EoTech, blah, blah, blah.  Anyway LOVE the gun, but I keep thinking the Arms #40 isn't "up to" the rugged status of say a LMT BUIS.  Considering ordering the LMT as it seems much more sturdy and swapping out the ARMS#40.

Am I obsessing?

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
What makes you think the ARMS 40 is not up to speed??  Not that it's the end all be all sight, but there are a lot of them out there and you hear  more about primary sights (red dots) going down then Back Ups. I have had one for over a year and like it very much and think it's as rugged as it should reasonably be. What are you doing that makes you feel it's not up to thhe task??
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Again, I may be obsessing (which is what I do when work is slow and the computer/internet is fast!!), but a folding/hinged mechanism seems less rugged that the fixed solid BUIS like the LMT.

I guess I gotta just make my decision.  You're right, the ARMS is employed by MANY and I have yet to read of one breaking  from a fall of possible distance (table to concrete, turunk lid to pavement, etc.)

Cheers!

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes

Watch this as I really fuck him over:

No
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#5]
DOH!  Now what do I do?!?!?!  I need validation!!  HELP I'm lost!

LMT BUIS ordered....I'll have both!

Notice it took me 2 1/2 hours to decide to just buy MORE stuff!

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Obsessive.  Aint it great when you have good equipment?  Buy ammo and shoot with your local clubs.  When you bust your shit up, buy more.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Again, I may be obsessing (which is what I do when work is slow and the computer/internet is fast!!)
Cheers!

Man......I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this affliction.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Your back up iron should not be able to have the windage knocked out of alignment.  It should have same plane rear aperatures.  It should not come loose from recoil.  Locktite fixes number 3 but the ARMS 40 still has 1 and 2 as a problem.  Number 2 can be fixed by swaping a XS rear aperature buit then there is #1... cant get by that.  Nope its time for a new rear sight and LMT aint it either as it can loose zero like the A2 sights.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Loctite the windage knob
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Your back up iron should not be able to have the windage knocked out of alignment.  It should have same plane rear aperatures.  It should not come loose from recoil.  Locktite fixes number 3 but the ARMS 40 still has 1 and 2 as a problem.  Number 2 can be fixed by swaping a XS rear aperature buit then there is #1... cant get by that.  Nope its time for a new rear sight and LMT aint it either as it can loose zero like the A2 sights.

Soooo.  the answer is?  I still want my Eotech and SOME BUIS....curses!!  

I read a post about mags and I go order ANOTHER 10.....I read a post about ammo, and I buy another case....Im going kooky!!

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#11]
[monkey wrench thrown in]  Ever thought of the LaRue.  One piece, non-flip up, no elevation adjust, less moving parts, rugged, throw lever quick attach/detach...........................[/monkey wrench thrown in]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#12]
OK, now my head is spinning!  I liked the fact the LMT had elevation adj.  Guess I'll check it out in a day or so when I get my new one and compare....

Hey!  What do you know?  I finished my wifes RRA flat top for sweetest day (ain't I the best!).  Now she can use the ARMS #40.  Only she keeps sayin', "OK, this is mine?"  I say, "Yeah, honey...you know for when the end comes!"  She says, "OK, sell it and give me the cash".  I guess my brain-washing hasn't totally taken effect yet.

Wait til I get my son a .22 AR for Christmas!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#13]
or the Troy BUIS
or the GG & G
or KAC or ..............
(second Monkey wrench thrown for effect)
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Since the #40's are spring loaded for deployment, thus cushioned, the windage (do not) get knocked out, neither do any of the other military issue buis BUIS that don't even have the cushion. I believe #40L's are available with the same plain apertures.
Jack
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#15]
The Troy dual aperaure BUIS is going to be released in like a week or so.  Its one of the lowest of all BUIS (as low as the current model).  Has same plane rear aperature.  Has A1 style windage that is impossible to adjust or knock out of allignment unless on purpose.  I have sold my ARMS 40 and will be picking up the new Troy unit as soon as its out.  There are preorders going on in the EE right now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't have experience with the ARMS.... hell all I did was cut my carry handle... but I would think (at least for me) that a fixed BUIS would be more favorable for a CQB type weapon then a flip up if only for the reason that you don't have to flip the damn thing- For something like an SPR then I understand flip-ups so they're not in the way of the optics but for anything up close I would rather not mess with anything. My BUIS doesn't interfere with my EOTech at all and if for some reason my eotech were to fail, it would be right there....Just my $.02 of course...

-Roth
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I believe there is a group buy on an A1 style fixed rear sight going on in here somewhere.  That with a same plane rear aperature would be my choice for a fixed sight.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top