Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2004 7:55:19 PM EDT
I want to place a 1-4x scope on my AR. Is there a good eye relief to look for? If you put on a shotgun (3"), or a pistol (12") scope what would that be like? I am goin cheap, cause I dont have more than a hundred bucks or so for this right now. Also, to witness the iron sights on an AR what kind of rings do I need? How big is to big for an objective diameter, on a scope that you want to co-witness?

I looked at the AOCG specs and they were around 2.5". I would have thought any CQC weapon would need more. Is there any other obvious stuff that I'm missing here?hug.gif
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The shorter the eye relief the better. If you are mounting on a flat top, and you have long eye relief, you have to move your head to far back on the stock to use the rifle properly. In your price range, look for 3" or so. And unless you are going to mount the scope on a shotgun or a pistol, stick with a rifle scope. The eye relief and paralex will be correct.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The TA01/31 has 1.5".  I find this a little cramped / too close.

The TA11 has 2.4".  I find this optimal (a large exit pupil helps).

Most conventional scopes have somewhere between 3 - 4.7".  For these, a mount like the Armalite or Larue SPR mount is probably best.     In that range, closer to 3" is better than closer to 5".

-z
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:16:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I think 2.5-3.5 is optimal.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top