Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2004 2:22:41 PM EDT
You may have seen from my other post that I'm considering a used Leupold Mark4 10x M1 scope.  Well, my friend gave me the scope to try, but his rings are too short.

Do I need High rings to put this scope on a 20" flat top ar10 with standard handguard?

What rings do you suggest: Leupold Mark 4, Badger Maximized?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Super-high rings, that is, 1.40" to 1.50".

The Larue SPR mount is probably the best bet.  For something cheaper, I have a set of used MK4 rings.. IM me if interested.

-z
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
    Be sure to consider eye relief as well as height - the Picatinny rail on a flat-top may not let you mount the scope far enough forward for a comfortable position, especially in prone. I use an extended riser (1/2" high) made by Accuracy Speaks (available direct or from Brownell's) combined with standard-height rings.  There's now a similar one available from Compass Lake Engineering.  This gives me an extra 4" of rail and lets me mount a Leupold 6.5-20x50 LRT (similar in length to your scope) and gives me the option for an extra 15' of built-in elevation for long range work. I'm using Burris Signature Zee rings - they are inexpensive and work well, even though they don't have the macho look many seem to like.  A big advantage of the Signature rings is the floating insert that self aligns - no need to lap the rings to avoid stressing the scope tube.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!

The LaRue looks interesting www.gandrtactical.com/ , but is expensive.  Are the "rings" part of the mount, or are they extra?  The 20 minute-of-angle downward slope, will that limit the range at which the scope can be used?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks guys!

The LaRue looks interesting www.gandrtactical.com/ , but is expensive.  Are the "rings" part of the mount, or are they extra?  The 20 minute-of-angle downward slope, will that limit the range at which the scope can be used?

The rings are integral with the SPR mount.
The 20 minutes extends, not limits, the maximum range.

-z
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Please excuse the continued questioning, but does the slope effect the minimum range?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]
No.

Basically, what it does is this:

Assume you have a scope with 60 minutes total elevation.  "30" is the dead-smack middle.
Assume the barrel, receiver, rings, and scope are all "perfect" and the rifle zeros at 100 yards at 30 minutes up from the bottom.

If you are using the elevation knobs (e.g. M1 knobs) to dial eleveation, then you have 30 more minutes "up" you can use before you hit the mechanical limit of the adjustment.  For 75gr Hornady fired at 2670fps (actual velocity from my 20" 3Gun rifle), you can shoot about 825 yards with about 30 minutes of elevation added.
(850 yards requires 31.5 minutes)

With the same scope in a mount that adds 20 MOA of incline, the scope is now pointing "down" more relative to the bore.  So assuming everything is still "perfect", you'll zero at about 10 minutes up from the bottom.   This leaves you a full 50 minutes to use for elevation adjustments in the field, which will extend the dial-able range out to around 1100 yards.

You never want more incline than a little less than half the total elevation adjustment in your scope.  In other words, if your scope has 60 minutes, and you use a 40 minute base, there's no way you'll be able get a 100 yard zero (unless your barrel/receiver alignment is f'd).

Hope this helps.

-z
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Hope this helps.

It does, many thanks.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top