Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/13/2004 4:41:36 PM EDT
In the pic below you can see the R and the arrow on the windage knob.
If I turn the knob in the direction of the arrow ( R ) the aperture moves to the left.

Anyone else have a sight like this with the A2 knob?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Since it's a stndard A2 knob, but mounted onthe opposite side, it works backwards
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Were all the early ARMS #40's like this?

I sent an e-mail to ARMS asking this same question about the knob.
Can't wait to hear their response. Aughta be a good one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#3]
That is the way it is supposed to be.  The letter R indicates which way the strike of the round is going to move.  It is the same way with the A2 front sight post.  UP moves the strike of the round up.  It is supposed to Marine proof the sight adjustments...at least thats what my DI's used to say.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That is the way it is supposed to be.  The letter R indicates which way the strike of the round is going to move.  It is the same way with the A2 front sight post.  UP moves the strike of the round up.  It is supposed to Marine proof the sight adjustments...at least thats what my DI's used to say.

But when I turn the knob in the direction of the arrow (R) the sight moves to the left and so does the bullet.

bsbg nailed it when he said it's a standard A2 knob mounted on opposite side of where it should be, causing it to work opposite of the way it should.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:02:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Were all the early ARMS #40's like this?

I sent an e-mail to ARMS asking this same question about the knob.
Can't wait to hear their response. Aughta be a good one.

Yes, they were all like that.  I think the newer ones with thte flat knob are marked correctly, but I can't remember...
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:07:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Was shooting over the weekend with a buddy to sight in several diffent guns.

His #40 reads R-> clockwise.  My #40 reads <-R counterclockwise.  When he adjusted his sights according to the direction, it went the opposite direction as mine.  

So your sight is not the only one.  It would be interedting to see what arms says, but most likely you will need to adjust your own mindset to adjusting those sights.  Besides, once its set, why would you move it?

Rod
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:47:31 AM EDT
[#7]
If you rotate the know towards you, the sight aperture moves to the left which moves the strike of the round to the right.  If moving the rear sight to the right moves your  strike of round to the right, you are some sort of voodoo god (which could be cool).  Every M16 I have seen the military is marked the same way your sights are marked.  Perhaps all of the earlier versions were wrong.  I guess it isnt that any of them are wrong,  they just use different methods.  The method used by the military (which is like yours) I think is better because you dont have to think about which way the round is being moved (good for stressful situations). Anybody can turn the knob and see which way the aperture moves, however it is kind of counterintuitive to realize the round actually moves in the opposite direction of the rear sight movement. Thats why they felt the need to mark it on the knob at all.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:08:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yes, they were all like that.  I think the newer ones with thte flat knob are marked correctly, but I can't remember...

Yes.  I have 2 of the flat knob models and they are marked correctly.

[slaps head] Doh! - they used the standard A2 knob - now it makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:14:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Rod,
Thanks for the info, glad to know its not just mine.
Was a little confusing initially, but now that they're zeroed it no big deal.

Quoted:
If you rotate the know towards you, the sight aperture moves to the left which moves the strike of the round to the right.  If moving the rear sight to the right moves your  strike of round to the right, you are some sort of voodoo god (which could be cool).  Every M16 I have seen the military is marked the same way your sights are marked.  Perhaps all of the earlier versions were wrong.  I guess it isnt that any of them are wrong,  they just use different methods.  The method used by the military (which is like yours) I think is better because you dont have to think about which way the round is being moved (good for stressful situations). Anybody can turn the knob and see which way the aperture moves, however it is kind of counterintuitive to realize the round actually moves in the opposite direction of the rear sight movement. Thats why they felt the need to mark it on the knob at all.

While I won't argue with you about your experience with M16's, the data below applies to all open sight weapons and they are the facts.

You move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to move.
You move the front sight in the opposite direction you want the bullet to move.

Feel free to get a second opinion if you don't believe me.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:21:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Did you install the sight backwards? (i.e. so it springs toward you instead of away from you).

Quoted:
[slaps head] Doh! - they used the standard A2 knob - now it makes sense.

Slap it again for thinking I was stupid enough to mount it backwards.

Thank's guys.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Slap it again for thinking I was stupid enough to mount it backwards.

When you've been on this board long enough you'll see it wasn't wrong to thing that.  Lots of the newbies do really stupid things.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
..... Every M16 I have seen the military is marked the same way your sights are marked.  ....

Every M16 you've seen has their knob on the ejection port side - the ARMS#40 has it on the other side - so if you use the A2 knob it will be back-asswards.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:58:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I see it already Forest. Everyday
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Im not trying to argue, I just dont understand how moving the rear sight to the right can move the strike of the round to the right if the front sight is kept still (like on an AR).  If you make a circe with one hand and look at a finger from the opposite hand, and move the circe to the right then move your head to create the correct sight picture you are now pointing further to the left.  Please help me understand what you are saying.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you make a circe with one hand and look at a finger from the opposite hand, and move the circe to the right then move your head to create the correct sight picture you are now pointing further to the left.  Please help me understand what you are saying.

Ahh grasshopper but when shooting a rifle you don't move your head - you move the muzzle of the rifle.  Repeat your experiement when you move the finger instead.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup, makes sense now.  h.gif Barney isnt such a bad dinosaur.......
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you make a circe with one hand and look at a finger from the opposite hand, and move the circe to the right then move your head to create the correct sight picture you are now pointing further to the left.  Please help me understand what you are saying.

Ahh grasshopper but when shooting a rifle you don't move your head - you move the muzzle of the rifle.  Repeat your experiement when you move the finger instead.

Actually, you need to move the circleed hand...

Imagine you have just fired a round while looking through your hand sights.  The round impacted 6" to the right of your POA.  How do you align the sights to meet the POI - move the rear sight to the left.  Make any sense?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#18]
For reference, this is how they look now and has been for some time.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah I got it now.  I broke out the bushy and played with the sights.  I guess its counter-counter intuitive.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#20]
gardman007,

Whew, I'm glad you got it.

I was almost ready to whip out this icon.
It's kinda hard to explain in words how it works. Looking at your rifle was probably the best thing you could have done.

And thanks to Timanator for the good close-up pic.

Larry
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I like that one!  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top