Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 7:14:04 PM EDT
I have an EOTech 552.  I want to mount a scope simultaneously with the EOTech.  I am not fixed on any particular scope, but I know I would love an ACOG or Compact ACOG.  I know I'll have to move, change my head angle, etc... But, I'm sure there's a good tactical mount solution for what I want to accomplish.  I've seen a good Yankee Hill dovetail angle mount that might do the trick at www.uws.com/YANKEEHILL/9691A.html.  I'm thinking the EOTech mounted directly to the flat top, forward as possible, and the scope angle mounted toward the rear canted to the left of center so there's little interference.  I don't want this to look like a junkyard either, so your opinions here matter.  Please share them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Uhhh....

Not to sure about this one.  Why not just swap them off?  If you use good mounts, they should return to zero pretty well.  And if you don't need to quickly swap between them, then you could always reaffirm zero before using again.

If you offset the scope, you move it above and to the side of the bore and path of the projectile.

You will have MAJOR cant in the scope, and while at a few yards this may not seem to be a problem.  At scope distances this offset of the scope can cause some major misses.

Someone else feel free to chime in here if I'm wrong, but I think you may need to look for another solution.  This mount was intended for what they say, "Lights and lasers".

-Hershey

Edited to say:  It's not exactly cant, but it seems the effect would be the same if not MORE pronounced.  And if you had any actual cant, you'd really be guessing where your rounds would hit.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Uhhh....

Not to sure about this one. Why not just swap them off?

Some of the competition guys do this...  No time to swap off if you've got to double tap a couple of vickers at 50 feet then knock down a popper at 320yds.

But I do think BDHershey is on the right track about the "cant".  I'd rather have the red dot mounted at an angle and keep the scope parallel with the bore.  Like he said, close ranges won't show as much, and the EOTech is for "close".

There's the "rings with rails" option that would let you mount your EOthingie on top of the scope, or as you mentioned, the YHM offset mount.

It's ashame you already have the EOTech, or I'd have suggested a TA01NSN with a Dr. Optic on it...  Sounds like it would really fit the bill for what I'm guessing your needs are.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Colt HBarII with ACOG TA-11 mounted.  As the I changed the fore-end to a quad rail, and I had an extra EOTech 551 looking for a "home," I decided to try mounting both.  I tried the Yankee Hill, and while I really like their products, (they made the fore-end mount I use) I didn't like the dimensions on their offset mount.  It seemed to put the EOTech too far out.  I used instead a Falcon Enterprises 45deg dual rail (Brownells.com  Stock #100-001-132) mount.  I have it so the EOTech is on the right side.  This allows the ACOG for medium and distance shots, and a slight twist for the EOTech for close up.  It seems to sit closer in than the Yankee Hill (opinion, not measurement).  I have approx. 500 rds thru this set-up canted and no problems with ejection.  While as previously stated in another thread, it is really unecessay with the ACOG, but I do have a Mil-dot scope on ARMS mounts, which makes this set-up nice.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I think swapping them with the scope over the bore and the red dot offset is a much better idea if you must go with this setup.  JP even makes a set of rail mount iron for this particular task.  But since you already have the scope and Eotech might as well use 'em.  Or send one of them to me!  

Will you be using this for competition?

Good luck with your decision.

-Hershey
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
JP even makes a set of rail mount iron for this particular task.

-Hershey

Who's JP?  Where can I find this rail mount?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#6]
JP Enterprises

Look under detachable sights for the JP Short Range Tactical Sight.

It even has a red FS post for quick index.

-Hershey
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
You can put a quad rail on the gun such as this Surefire M73, mount the EoTech there, and mount the ACOG on an A2 carry handle. You can co-witness the EoTech w/ your iron sights, and the higher mounted ACOG has a perfectly clear line of sight, even though in this pic the EoTech looks like it's in the way, it's not.

BTW I do not carry my gun like this. I had the Eo mounted as seen but then bought the ACOG and mounted it. I found that they "Could" be carried together but I took the EoTech off. I suppose if I was actually searching a large building like a school w/ combinations of smaller rooms and long halls someone might want it mounted this way. In close quarters such as single rooms the Eo does have the advantage of putting sights on target much faster.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top