Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 10:42:01 AM EDT
I have a Bushmaster A2 Rifle and was wondering about mouting a scope and a red dot site on it.....

I am going to purchase the arms #39A2 mount.

I plan on mounting my red dot site on the lower portion to co-witness my iron sites.
Would it be stupid to mount a scope on top of the carry handle part for longer distance shots? And use the red dot site/iron sites for closer targeting?

I have looked at pictures of what people have and have not seen a combo like this, so i didnt know if this was a stupid choice....

BTW the arms #39A2 mount, how does something attach to it? Just with weaver mounts?

Thanks,
Josh
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Whatever floats yer boat.

But I would think that it would be a tad bit on the heavy side. If you want something to cover short to longer get a low power variable scope. Otherwise go with one or the other optic, but not both. I know one of the guys here had a small red dot(doctor optic, or optima2000 IIRC) mounted to an ACOG asa BU sight. That works well seeing that the optima/doctor is a small as little red dot sight.

Other than that. I;d go either dot or scope. But not both at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a Bushmaster A2 Rifle and was wondering about mouting a scope and a red dot site on it.....

I plan on mounting my red dot site on the lower portion to co-witness my iron sites.
Would it be stupid to mount a scope on top of the carry handle part for longer distance shots? And use the red dot site/iron sites for closer targeting?

I have looked at pictures of what people have and have not seen a combo like this, so i didnt know if this was a stupid choice....

BTW the arms #39A2 mount, how does something attach to it? Just with weaver mounts?

Thanks,
Josh

Josh, Not trying to hijack your thread here but I had the same question, except I have the EOTech.  People here kept telling me to use one or the other, but not both.  I'm sure there's a way to have them both sturdily mounted simulatenously to an AR, but I haven't found the answer yet... If I do, I'll fill you in.

Someone had suggested the LaRue quick release system that way you can swap them out quickly and easily.  They have these at gandrtactical.com.  I'm contemplating this.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,
Josh

Josh, Not trying to hijack your thread here but I had the same question, except I have the EOTech.  People here kept telling me to use one or the other, but not both.  I'm sure there's a way to have them both sturdily mounted simulatenously to an AR, but I haven't found the answer yet... If I do, I'll fill you in.

Someone had suggested the LaRue quick release system that way you can swap them out quickly and easily.  They have these at gandrtactical.com.  I'm contemplating this.

With a properly configured A2 ya it's possible to securely mount both optics, but again, it;s about added weight. I can do everything, and yer not killing two birds with one stone, yer using two stones to kill two birds.

I use a red dot on one AR, and a 1-4 variable on the other. With the 1-4 power scope I can do anything from point blank, to 300yards and not have to worry about squat. With the red dot, well it's a little more complicated but not to much more so. It;s totaly a different tool for different jobs thing.

More than anything it's about being practical, and mounting a large red dot sight like an Eotech or an aimpoint, along with a traditional scope just are not all that practical. I won't call it stupid, because I have seen it, and it worked, and well if it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid. But it just isn't all that practical. Also it's easier to do if you have a railed forend or railed handguards. Use the rail on the handguard to  mount the red dot, but mount it high enough to co-witness. Than mount the scope on the carry handel with a mount that will allow you to still use the irons. now here is the problem. With the scope up that high you may need to use a cheek rest/pad whatever to get a propper cheekweld on the stock. If you want to go to the dot scope, that cheek rest/pad may make it difficult to use it. The gun I saw it set up on and check it out on was a standard 20in A2. As far as what I thought, I though it pontless. Like I said in the first post if you want to do something like that, look for a way to mount a optima 2000 type red dot to the scope itself, or on a rail on the scope. It's a small enough red dot that it should work ok that way because again it's a relativly small red dot.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
photoman I completly understand where you are coming from. But weight isnt an issue to me ATM, I may reconsider that once I have both mounted on the gun however.

My main question was would the arms #39A2 mount accept both these items at the same time. Both attach with weaver style rails.......

Josh
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#5]
This is crazy IMO. You won't like it. Don't waste your money. Just get an acog and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:27:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't see putting that much money into an Acog. Its just not practical for the kind of shotting I do.

If its so crazy I probally will no do it then....... But is this the best mount for my gun for the red dot site to co-witness my irons?

Thanks,
Josh
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can't see putting that much money into an Acog. Its just not practical for the kind of shotting I do.

If its so crazy I probally will no do it then....... But is this the best mount for my gun for the red dot site to co-witness my irons?

Thanks,
Josh

If it's a goose neck type mount, attaches to the carry handle and than drops down after that, than yes it will work. But it depends on the optic too. A dot with a in intagal mount like a BSA or something might not sit up enough, but than again it might. I've never shot a dot that was on a gooseneck mount. so I don't know how it would sit exactly. The one set up I got to play around with a little that was like what you want to do had the red dot mounted on a rifle length railed forend and a carry handle mount for the 3-9 scope. If my red dot shows up today I'll trow it on it's mount and toss it on my scoped AR I don;t ahve a carry handle though but it should give you a rough idea of what it be like.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Alright, Thanks. Im off to my local gunshop to see about purchasing this mount.... I need to get it local because I doubt I could have it by friday to shoot ordering it off the net.

I also need to get my barrell threaded too. Local places are like 3 weeks behind. I thought about having ADCO do it, but looking on thier site they charge $56 to do it, but also $56 to take the gun apart and put it back togather (upper that is). Thats the way it looks, I was going to call them to find out though, if thats the case Ill just buy the tools to dissasemble my barrell and do it myself, seeing as I work in a machine shop.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top