Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2004 8:48:14 PM EDT
After many hour of talking to AR-people, I "might" get a conventional scope for my A2 20inch AR, since the 20 inch barrel is far from "tactical".

The one I'm thinking of ordering in the Burris Compact 4x12x32 scope with ballistic plex.

Is Burris a good brand, its in my price range of $400 w/ mount and rings

Brian

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:04:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Burris makes good quality optics. The ballistic plex reticle is a good hunting / range type of reticle. The ballistic plex reticle has marks for elevation only. It is my option that this scope was geared more for people who do not want to get involved with reading the wind to make windage adjustments.
The one thing you should look into closely is the eye relief on of the scope you plan on putting on your AR15 you would be wise to choose a scope with as little eye relief as possible so you can mount it on the upper receiver. I have an AR15 with a conventional scope and it sits forward on the upper receiver to maintain proper eye relief. I have looked through and shot a rifle with a 3-9 Burris scope with the ballistic reticle and was presently surprised with the clarity of this scope. I would say the quality is on par with leupold and other top optic makers.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Burris Fullfield II 3-9-40, and eye relief on it is 3.1-3.8 inches, which I recall was as short as I could find in a 3x-9x.  I have it in an Armalite one-peice cantilevered mount and it is a good setup all around.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:09:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the same Fullfield scope on a <gasp> Ruger Mini-14. Works well for what the Mini was intended for.  

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Burris Compact 4X on my PWA flat-top. Love it!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#5]
What distance are you guys shooting the Burris FFII at, the reason im asking is that im looking for a scope for range shooting 100- 200yards, the local range is 200yards max. I have been looking at the 3-9x FFII with the balistic plex. It is my price range and seems like a great scope for the money.

I am shooting a 16" bull barrel AR
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:43:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm mostly just repeating what I've heard here, but it stands to my reasoning -- the .223/5.56 is such a flat-shooting round that there's no need for bullet drop compensation within 200 or so yards.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:21:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got the FFII with illuminated Ballistic Plex.  If I weren't concerned about BDC, I'd have gotten one without the Ballistic Plex, as the IL-BP looks like a really long house-mounted TV antenna (old style).  

I had a Super Sniper 10x, and looking through the 2 side by side, I could see no difference in quality and clarity of image or brightness.  I'm VERY happy with my Burris.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#8]
If I remember Burris left Redfield to start his own, he didn't like Rdflds policies or products
I have 4 of them and a 5th on the way quality right up there with Leu

On my AR varmitter I have a 4.5-14 balistic plex and it does great on groundhogs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Burris FFII 3-9x40 ILL BPlex on my SPR-Thing:

Haven't done a whole lot with it yet, and nothing past 100 yards, but my initial impressions are very good.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#10]
This is the actual retical on a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 Ballistic Plex:

Burris's picture:

I picked this up for my deer rifle but the crosshairs are too fine for me. I think it would be fine for a target scope though....

Everyone is different and good luck with your choice !!

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This is the actual retical on a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 Ballistic Plex:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Aahhyes68/december2003001.jpg

Burris's picture:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Aahhyes68/ballplexreticle.gif

I picked this up for my deer rifle but the crosshairs are too fine for me. I think it would be fine for a target scope though....

Everyone is different and good luck with your choice !!

Nice pic. Can you take another of say a car, just to see if the lens's are tinted. Thanx,
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have a Burris Compact 4X on my PWA flat-top. Love it!

+1
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Out of the three Burris scopes I have owned two of them went back for repairs. I have lost faith in them. I only use Leupold now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#14]
The one I've owned was fantastic.

I thought the glass was very high quality.

It was bright and clear.

Not a bad price either.

Accurate.

Held it's zero.

What more do you want.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Great optics, good glass (lenses by Pentax).  I had one on my 12 ga. slug gun till I sold it.   I was looking for another scope and decided against the Burris due to the change in eye relief with magnification.
-JD
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I did get the scope, heres a pic.

http://www.boomspeed.com/bfibri/gun.jpg
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:37:21 AM EDT
[#17]
+1
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#18]
    My experience with Burris scopes has NOT been good.

I purchased one of their 3 x 9 Compact rifle scopes to use on one of my .22 target pistols.

Yes, this is a rifle scope but I wanted rifle scope eye relief for my pistol.

But back to the quality of the Burris scope.  I found the quality (especially on the surface finish) of their scopes to be very poor.  I received the original scope and two replacements for it, all of which had stained splotches on the outside of the scopes.  Also, setting of the vertical and horizontal adjustments was very hard, since the clicks on the turret adjustments were very hard to discern (not audible and hard to feel).  Also, on all three scopes I had to take the horzonital adjustment almost all the way to one side to get the bullet grouping on target.  And yes, I did remount the scope base & rings several times, to no avail.  I have mounted many, many scopes on rifles, shotguns and pistols and I have never had these problems with any other brand of scope.  And no, I do not believe that the drills on the pistol were at fault.  This is a Ruger Mark II target pistol and the drillings on the barrel seem to be perfectly aligned.

When I contacted Burris about these problems (both via phone & e-mails) & being very civil in my complains about these problems, the Burris representatives seemed very unconcerned about these problems to the point of being rude.  They even seemed to suggest in one of their e-mail replies to me, that they did not believe me.

A word to the wise is sufficient.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Had a Burris Black Diamond scope ( 3 x 12 ) I think - Sold it -Quality of  the glass was not that Great.

I,ll stick with my Leupolds
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Had a Burris Black Diamond scope ( 3 x 12 ) I think - Sold it -Quality of  the glass was not that Great.

I,ll stick with my Leupolds

What about the glass did you not like?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top