Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2004 11:47:49 PM EDT
After scoping my Varminter with a 6-24 Bushnell Elite 4200, I've started to wonder if I should make some modifications.  The biggest problem:  When I go to get a cheek weld on the stock, it seems like I have to dip my head way "down" on the buttstock to get centered.  Naturally, this makes sense as most rifle's stocks slope down from the reciever to aid this.  Is this a common problem?  The real baffling thing is, I see these cheekpieces from Bushy and other places that snap onto the buttstock and bring the stock up even more!!  WTF?  Wouldn't that make the problem worse?

The only thing I could think of, was put another rail (maybe and extension rail) on top so it would raise the scope a little.  However, I would rather retain the scopes geometery (being as close to the barrel as possible) than sacrifice that for a little more comfort.

I guess I MOST noticed this when I went to shoot the AR with my ear muffs the first time.  I use to use ear plugs and switched to muff.  With my rifles, I have no problem shooting with them.  However, when I broke the AR out, I noticed how much of a pain it was to keep the muffs on.  Then I noticed how much of a pain it was just to get a good cheekweld.  What have you guys been doing?  Or is this just something I should get used to, as it is definitely usable, just not "the best"  (which is understandable... The AR wasn't designed specifialy for varmint scopes ).

Gundraw
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#1]
What height are your rings?

They need to be approx 1.400 - 1.500" to replicate the height of the standard iron sights.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:06:23 AM EDT
[#2]
The cheek pieces you've seen that clamp onto the stock are meant to be used on AR15's that have the scope mounted on the A2 carry handle (I checked one out and it is extremely comfortable for this application).  I don't have mine yet but I had to switch from a set of medium to high rings on another rifle for it to be comfortable.  A riser or a set of higher rings would probably solve your problem without raising the scope enough to make a huge difference.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:15:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Silly me... I should have guessed that.  DUH, standard A2 buttstock would go one guess what, and A2 upper.  I get it now.

However, I'm using the Armalite 1 piece mount.  IIRC, isn't that supposed to put the scope exactly at the same level as the irons?

Perhaps it's just the way I shoot that causes these problems?  I guess I kind of figured I wouldn't be the first, given the difference between the stocks on a standard bolt gun, and the AR as I described above, and I guessed this problem was probably very common.

Thanks for the quick replies.  I guess i"m not the only insomniac AR owner out there!  Heheh

Thanks,
Gundraw
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:04:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a friend who has an AR with the Armalite mount.  I can't shoot his rifle.  The mount is too low for me .  Maybe my cheekbones are odd but I can't get low enough.  I need a mount for my AR and still have not decided which one to get.  But, it must be higher than the Armalite.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the Armalite one piece flat-top mount. Works great for me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not that I find the mount totally uncomfortable or anything, it just seems that with the stock, and my muffs and all, it's right at that line between JUST RIGHT, and too low.

Gundraw
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top