Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2004 8:46:43 AM EDT

I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with mounting aimpoints or Eotechs to the carry handles of AR-15's.  I have an A2 upper and a YH free float handguard that I've thought about mounting the optic to but like the head position I would have with it mounting on a carry handle.  My only apprehension is that it seems really high off the barrel and I'm not sure how drastically this would affect zeroing, aiming, etc.

Any opinions and experiences are appreciated.

Rockclimbg
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#2]

yea, I could, but that just seems like a lot of crap/weight hanging around.  I was thinking of the ARMS carry handle mount, mainly how the point of aim is affected with the high line of sight.

thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Your POA will be quite high with the optic on the carry handle, most noticeably so at CQB distances.  For example, to make a shot in the ocular window of a target who is 20 feet away, you would have to aim at his forehead - 4 inches high.  With practise you can train yourself to compensate for this difference (I have done so with my TA31 mounted on my carry handle) but it's something to keep in mind.

Aimpoints and EOTechs are best mounted low if at all possible in order to take fullest advantage of their speed in targeting.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
yea, I could, but that just seems like a lot of crap/weight hanging around. quote]

The closer to the axis of the bbl, the less the apparent weight.

Look hard at the A.R.M.S. mount. Even with the addl net weight of the "gooseneck" system, it feels lighter and certainly less prone to get hung up.  Co-witness (the new fangled phraseology for co-incident) is the way to fly. Add your flip up site and away you go.

If you want a mount that works well on an A2 upper, the Leatherwood is quite acceptable.

Doc @ M&A

(I don't know much myself, but I know what all the tac cops want)

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I would recommend mounting either one on the FF tube.  Forget the gooseneck.  You can cowitness with it mounted on the FF, also.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top