Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2004 9:09:54 AM EDT
Looking for recomendations... I have a 16" A3 with standard FSB and detachable carry handle.  Looking for basic no-frills 3x or 4x scope.  The application is simple daytime plinking.  I'd like to get "scoped out" with optics and a mount for under $150. Whatever I end up with, I want it to be low-maint (no batteries, won't break after firing 200 rounds, no zoom needed, holds zero if removed and replaced, etc), compact, and relatively easy to remove (high-dollar options like QD throw-levers aren't needed, but toolfree thumbscrews are nice). What do you guys recommend?  Should I just keep it simple with one of these "M16 scopes" (about $90) that attaches with thumbscrew on the carryhandle, or does that really put the scope too high?   Or would I do better to get a traditional scope (bushnell or something), some simple rings, and a low-ish flat-top riser that attaches with thumbscrews.  If you can, please provide brand names & model numbers so I can shop them out... price estimates would be awesome too so I can tell if I'm about to get over-charged.   Thanks!

P.S.  I know to avoid chicom crap... had a leapers 4x compact on my SKS blow out its crosshairs after 300 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Go Flat-top and mounts w/ the Leupold M8 Compact, here: www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/712488

Yea, I know.... more than ya want to spend, but then all I know when it comes to real riflescopes is LEUPOLD, can't hep it!

Mike
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#2]
My observation is that your requirements are mutually exclusive.  The requirements for less than $150 and low-maintenance (as defined by you) are very much mutually exclusive.  (At least from everything I've seen and read.)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If you HAVE to stay within your budget, I'd recommend a Nikon Buckmaster 4x, and a set of Burris Zee rings...that would put you right at $150.  The Leupy would be nice, and I've seen 'em at Midway for $188, but that's over your budget.  

I have a Buckmaster in 4.5x14x40, and I love it...I don't think you'll find better glass for that kind of money.  

I'd recommend staying away from a scope on the handle...just go with a set of med/high rings on the flat top, and you'll be all set.   Warne makes a nice set of QD style mounts for around $35, but that will bust your budget as well, since the Midway price on the Buckmaster is $135ish.  IIRC, Midway doesn't carry Warne products, so that means Brownell's, and extra shipping costs.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:49:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Just get a Tacpoint and squint really hard, that'll be like you're 4x closer. Oh, and Tacpoints are better than the real thing, we all know that right?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:47:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input so far... So, do you think I'll be disappointed with the following setup?
Riser Mount
Warne Vertical Rings
Simmons Scope

Any fundamental flaws with this combination?  Any common pitfalls/gotcha's I need to be on the look-out for?  Seems like this setup would allow me to remove the rings/scope as a set, thus making it a little less touchy then rings right on the flattop.  Better yet, instead of riser/rings, maybe something like this M&A Flat-Top Scope Mount ???
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top