Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2004 6:20:47 PM EDT
Since I'm still kind of new to all this, I'm not exactly sure where I should put my Aimpoint ML2 along the rail.

Here's where it is now on my AR-10:

It's basically at the end of the rail.  I kind of like it there and I think it's more accurate than when I had it closer to my eye.  I put it at the end because I've read that with iron sights, the longer the distance between front and rear sights the better accuracy you can get, so I figured the same might be true with a red dot sight.

Where do you put your sights and why?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless im misunderstanding you, that statement about the iron sights does not apply to a Red Dot. They are 'put dot on target, bang'  no real lining up unless its long range.

On a side note, I put mine a little forward of the reciever.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Oops. Double post.  :)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the greater the distance between sight posts, the more precise your aiming will be.

I'm not thinking this works with the red dots.  Red dot = Point and shoot.  Your irons are there for a back up sighting system.  Although some do chose to co witness the irons and red dots (everything in a straight line) I do not.  My Aimpoint co witnesses with my standard front sight post.  I mount a ARMS #40 rear flip up to use in case of an optic failure.

The farther you mount your Aimpoint, the easier it will be to shoot with both eyes open.  

Try this little excercise:

Place your finger about 4" in front of your face.  Now focus on it.  Kind of hard to see your computer screen clearly is'nt it?  Now, while still focusing on your finger, move it out towards your screen.  You should gradually see everything come into a mutual focus.  

Your finger is your optic, and your monitor is your target.  Ta Daaa! Forward mounting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I like farther back, it balances better and is more reflexive.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there such a thing as shadows and eye relief on a red dot scope?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:39:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice setup Chuck. What kind of mount is that?  My next project is an A2 and ill be setting mine up similar to yours.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top