Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 10:48:12 PM EDT
I was just looking on PRI's web site and saw their scope rings which looked exactly like the MWG rings I used to have...along with the same saying..."GET TOUGH"....if I remeber correctly, the logo was similar (the lineart globe)...

At any rate, does anyone know if those rings are they steel CAST or BILLET rings? MWG ring were cast which is why I sold 'em....I just don't trust castings...I've had too many breakages with cast products (gun products and other products)
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:25:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought my MWG's in the 90's at B&B, which used to be on an old V-Match I sold.  I just checked the papers and box, it has a P.O. box in Miami.   Don't know where PRI was then/now.   I should put them up on the EE, I totally forgot I even had a set!   I have no use whatsoever for them now.

Look close at the flat top rail... Before A3's were around.  Guess the FH and lug's an age giveaway.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:05:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]
The MWG mounts were designed by Mack Gwinn of MGI, and have been licensed to other manufacturers to make. As were the 90-rounder magazine for the AR, and the tear-drop 50 rounder for the 10/22 also.

FYI,
MWG = Mack W. Gwinn
MGI = Mack Gwinn Inc.
Armforte = Mack Gwinn and Jim Sullivan
Bushmaster Firearms - Originally founded by Mack Gwinn(no longer the owner).

Mack has been around awhile.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Kisara - Ah...B&B....man, I actually miss that store....most people hated that place but once you get to know some of the guys there, it was all good....Pre-A3, eh? Hhehehee....you're old.

PaulE - Thanks for the info..but is the 4150 alloy formed via casting or from billet (or forgings)?

TWL - Ah...licensing...that makes sense...this Mack Gwinn guy ha been around! Wonder why MWG decided to make their rings from Cast steel though...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#5]
GS430 -

As you know, it is faster and cheaper to make them cast instead of forged. Most modern casting shops now use pressure-casting, which is very strong. It's not like the old 18th century brittle castings like wood stoves.

Basically, anything that puts enough stress on those mounts to break them will also totally destroy the scope. Many modern gun frames are also pressure castings. Forging is nice, but with the modern casting methods, there is not much need for it in many applications anymore.

Metal casting technology has not stood still, and is very high tech
However, cheaply made poor metal castings are still just as crummy as they ever were.
Just like anything else, it is the quality of the execution of the design that makes the difference.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:02:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info TWL..
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:24:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Paul, thanks for the info. I just feel better if rings use billet steel. I have recently had a few small parts on my Springfield M1A's crack and break (cast parts) so the last thing I need is for my scope ring to crack or break...I would rather eliminate the possiblity (or minimize it) if possible....and for the price that I've seen cast rings for, I'd rather spend the same money on a set of billet rings....just to further minimize any weak points. I'd rather overdo it....

For the same reason, I don't buy cast lowers....I'm sure that a cast lower would work fine but for the same money (or just a little more), why not buy the better (forged) one? Of course, that's if the machining quality is the same...I'm not comparing a high quality machining job on a cast unit vs. a low quality, out of spec machining job on a forged lower...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Not the same folks.  MWG is still in Miami, I believe. PRI is and has always been in Ohio.  PRI rings are machined from 4150 alloy steel, some of the toughest steel used for gun accessories.

FWI, according to PRI they use 4140 steel.

Precision Reflex Inc. Precision Reflex Inc. opened for business in 1979 in the design and manufacture of shooting products for the accomplished shooter. The line of sights and bases manufactured were on the cutting edge of the, then available, technology. Several U.S. patents were issued to the company.
By the mid 1980's, PRI was manufacturing the current line of high strength rings and bases designed especially for the police/swat shooter. Then and now, the mounting systems were of high quality, high strength materials such as heat treated 4140 steel.
In addition to our own line of products, we also manufacture shooting accessories for other well known companies. The ARMS G3 mount and ARMS FN/FAL mount are manufactured under license by PRI and distributed by M.S.Plus.
Please look over the PRI Products carefully.  If you have any questions, contact us.  We will answer as quickly as possible.

www.pri-mounts.com/index2.htm

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top