Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 9:19:48 AM EDT
Okay scope experets, I've officially given up on the illuminated reticle.  Now, given the fact that I don't shoot past 300 yards and never ever will, does the more expensive Mildot reticle make sense or is it just a waste given the ranges I am talking about.

Rifle:  

M1A Loaded from Springfield

Scope Options:

Leupold 51850 Mark IV M3 MilDot

Leupold 51182 Mark IV M3  Duplex

Price Difference:  $72.00

Thanks in advance,

Gary
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#1]
No - that's still BSZ territory.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Simply put - no.

Expanded answer -

1. Use a balistic calculator to determine a "hunter's zero" - something that keeps it relatively flat from 0 - 300. Confirm this.

2. Understand that you can use a duplex ret to range with. Assuming that you are getting an American style (ret is in the rear focal plane - Loopy not converted to Gen 2 by D. Thomas) fset the scope on the highest power and figure out what size translates to the skinny section vs the fat section of the duplex ret. Know the math of how this relationship changes with distance.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input guys.  I don't mind spending good money for quality goods like the Leupold.  I just hate wasting it on features I'll never ever use.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#4]
With a 200 yard zero, 308 will drop just under 1 mil at 300 yards, and just over 2 mils at 600 yards.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top