Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 10:52:30 AM EDT
I used a brand new Aimpoint Comp ML2 at a Thunder Ranch course this week and on the last day, the dot was alternately fading and becoming brighter on its own.  I was not changing the setting and I could see this happening while holding the same sight picture (i.e., no change in background light intensity).  Basically, I would be on the target and the dot would almost disappear (at its highest setting).  A second or two later it would re-appear and then do the same thing a minute or two later.  This was very disconcernting as this is my first experience with an Aimpoint.  Any ideas on what is going on?  Surely the battery isn't dying already after one week?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow! You are the first person I've heard of having this problem.

I'm glad it lasted through your course though.  I would get with Aimpoint ASAP.  I've heard they have excellent customer service.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:17:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Defective or dirty rheostat. I've had two Aimpoints with this problem and have a friend who had it happen to his Aimpoint too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh, great.  Is this something that occurs even after the factory fixes it?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:38:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm having the same problem.  The dot goes from dim to bright to off randomly every time you pull the trigger.

I was told that a loose rheostat would cause a similar problem (the knob shifts to in-between positions as you shoot it) but that's not my problem.  I was advised to send it back.

jafager
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#5]
This is why we have BUIS. Any electrical gadget can fail. It helps to have the Aimpoint's long battery life but other failures will occur.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Good point, ipsc.  And, yes, I did have a BUIS on mine and transitioned to it w/o a problem.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#7]
This is ubsurd......its an Aimpoint... This wouldnt happen to an ACOG.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#8]
This has never happened with my TWO TACPOINTS.  GASP!!!!!!

:)
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This has never happened with my TWO TACPOINTS.  GASP!!!!!!

:)

Can we please not turn this into a T vs. A trash talk fest ? Uhm Kay?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Certainly. That is why I put the GASP!!!! and the smiley

I was joking, trying to reflect on the recent Scope bashing threads.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:54:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This is ubsurd......its an Aimpoint... This wouldnt happen to an ACOG.

WRONG!
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=191419
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:39:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Well..well..it must have gone thru 16 days of intense battle hardening training in the middle of Iraq I say....It, it wouldnt just do  that for no good reason.....Im losing faith in something you'd pay $800 for. oh, wait...you must have gone to Afghanistan on a hardcore terrorist elimination mission..thats it...ok..Im better now....I was about to but a GucciXXL....thanks for coming back in one peice and serving your country over there...

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a similar problem and so did two of my buddies.  I called Aimpoint and they indicated that the switch may be shorting out.

I sent the Aimpoint in for service and got it back in less than a month (closer to three weeks).

It works fine now, better than when it was new.  Seems there may have been some QC issues with the switches at some point but the repair will fix it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top