Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2004 2:18:55 AM EDT
Tempted to try the knockoff/airsoft Knights cantilever mount on a 30mm tube I have, on a plinking gun and wondered if these things were worth the effort. They say they're aluminum/steel, so unless out of spec I'd assume they're ok for plinking. Anybody actually bought one or tried it?

Yes, I know they're made for "toys", but I resist the $190 for the real deal when this gun is not a gun for any kind of serious gunplay.

What say the peanut gallery?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I was wondering the same thing.  Get it and let us know what you think.  
I seen it for $20.00.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Got mine from evike.com via ebay ($35 shipped), and it's mounted with a "Blue Label" TacPoint.

The mount is solid (Aluminum), attaches securely, and will probably outlast my facination with the cheap Hakko Aimpoint copy.

The Torx wrench supplied for turning the screws is worthless.  Not sure of the size, but I had a regular set handy, and used those instead.

The top of the mount is wide.  Too wide, in fact, to mount the TacPoint with the windage at 12, power at 1:30, and elevation at 3 (the ring mounting point contacts the battery cover).

If you get the mount for a TacPoint, you'll need to rotate 45 degrees counter-clockwise, putting the windage at 10:30, power at 12, and elevation at 1:30, or you'll have to modify the mount in some way.  In the 10:30/12/1:30 setup, there's enough clearance to get the battery cover off.

I don't know if it will work with a true Aimpoint in the "regular" position, but if when I get rid of the TacPoint for a CompM, I'll find out.

-FMD
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#3]
FMD, we have the exact same set up.  Like he said, the mount is solid.  I mounted mine  in the standard position and left the right rear torx head bolt out of it.  (it uses 6)  I may Dremmel the mount to allow baterry comaprtment  access with out removing it from the mount.  I have not mounted mine to my flat top yet.  (it is out getting threaded.) I will post some pics when I get it back next monday. evike.com was pretty damn fast too.  I had my mount in two days.
For a range plinker, it is a good mount. For a SHTF or combat rifle, get the real thing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]
FMD, strick909

Can you co-witness with these? thanks RED
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I get my upper back from ADCO tomorrow. I will let you know then.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:13:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Ordered, we'll see how it does. I don't have a Tacpoint or Aimpoint, but a 30mm tube with no obstructions other than the control bell. Should mount up ok, and hopefully cowitnesses.

I'll post a report when I get it done.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Please tell me this is a joke? Are you guys seriously going to recomend that he buys the AIRSOFT knock off KAC mount? Its a damn toy! It was designed for zit faced kids to run around in there back yard PLAYING G.I. Joe.  This surely is a sign of the apocalypse. Has this forum really gotten that bad?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I've used both the vertical and canted version of these Airsoft KAC-copy mounts. I've used them on dedicated 22 rimfire plinkers. The canted one could be deformed by just pushing down hard on it. You could see it move. The vertical one was better. No deflection. both however have soft hardware. If you take them off and on very often or try to tighten them down like I do my real KAC mounts, you will strip the threads right off the bolts or nuts. Like i said, for 25-50 yard backyard 22 rf plinkers they are OK. I definately would not use them on anything that I was betting my life on. Nor would I tell anyone that they are almost as good as the real thing for a lot less money.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Please tell me this is a joke? Are you guys seriously going to recomend that he buys the AIRSOFT knock off KAC mount? Its a damn toy! It was designed for zit faced kids to run around in there back yard PLAYING G.I. Joe.  This surely is a sign of the apocalypse. Has this forum really gotten that bad?

Hey Va, a reading comprehension course would be a good investment. Everyone on this thread is purchasing this type of mount for a plinker / range gun. You have stated in a previous thread that you make a lot of money and obviously have so much of it laying around that you can by mil-spec everything. Good for you. You should be proud. However, some of us don't have that much scratch laying around to buy ARMS, KAC and LaRue for a plinker.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is a picture of mine. There is no flex in this mount. And it does co-witness.
Again, this is a good mount for a plinking or range rifle. For a true combat optic, you need a true combat mount. But, for a tacpoint, or another cheap red dot, it works fine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hey Va, a reading comprehension course would be a good investment.  

I found a good investment for you.

www.acne-eliminated.com
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I might throw one of those on a 9MM carbine build
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#13]
i have an aimpoint quick release mount for the m2, ml2, etc.. only used for mockup it includes the spacer too if anyone wants one
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey Va, a reading comprehension course would be a good investment.  

I found a good investment for you.

www.acne-eliminated.com

That didn't turn out nearly as funny as you thought it would, Gucci Girl
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I might throw one of those on a 9MM carbine build

That's exactly what I bought mine for.  And for my purposes, I think it will work out great.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top