Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 5:58:08 PM EDT
With the AWB lifted, I'm in the market for a nice flat-top M4 type rifle.  I have an Aimpoint Comp M2 that I would love to put on it.  Sorry if this is a rookie question, but why do I need the full spacer on the A.R.M.S. mount?  What would be the problem if I mounted it directly on the flat-top?  Thanks for your time.

Secondly, I heard somewhere that the M2 dot tends to be a little clearer than the ML2 dot.  Is this just nonsense?  Thanks again...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have a flip down front sight it will be fine. With a standard front sight, the tower will obstruct your view through the Aimpoint. With the spacer the post is in the lower 1/3 of the optic.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent, thanks for the answers guys.

How about the answer to the other question....any unwritten differences b/w the M2 and ML2 besides night-vision capability?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking about buying an Aimpoint for one of my M4s also.  Actually, I had the same question.  Glad you asked it.  Mine will be mounted on the rail with a raiser, I'm not sure as to the type of mount yet.  As for the M2 vs. the M2L, the Aimpoint website, as well as SWFA.com state that the only difference between the two sights is one is NVG compatible.  No difference in reticle.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Ya, that's what I read.  However, on some other forum, I read that the M2 tends to have a slightly sharper reticle than the ML2.  Probably just b.s. though.  I would have bought the ML2 if it wasn't for the fact that I got a good deal on the M2.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:58:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the pic Troy...nice looking weapon you have there.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Edit: I'll post this in its own thread rather than hijack the thread.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you have a flip down front sight it will be fine. With a standard front sight, the tower will obstruct your view through the Aimpoint. With the spacer the post is in the lower 1/3 of the optic.

Is this also true with the Eotech?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The EoTech is a really different optic that does not even require the use of a mount or spacer. The window of the EoTech sits higher and therefore can be used direct on the flat top no problem.

Ah, I was lead to beleive I would need one.  Hell, it doesn't really matter.  I'll try the eotech without,  if I decide I need one I'll just order it.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ya, that's what I read.  However, on some other forum, I read that the M2 tends to have a slightly sharper reticle than the ML2.  Probably just b.s. though.  I would have bought the ML2 if it wasn't for the fact that I got a good deal on the M2.

I don't know for a fact, but I think I read where the brightness can be turned up higher on the ML2. Turning it up brighter than it needs to be can cause the dot to distort a little. Someone may post that has had this experience.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#13]
The ML2 has 9 levels of brightness for daylight (non-NV) use.
The ML has 4 brightness levels for NV and 6 levels for daylight use.

So if you don't plan to use any NV devices, stick with the ML2 for more control over the dot intensity.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top