Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2004 10:17:29 AM EDT
I got an Aimpoint QR mount for my ML2 at an excellent price.

I don't really like the length of the rail knob, but other than that, I've found it to be a solid mount that is at a heigth that works for me and holds zero.  

Admittedly, I have not tested whether the POI shifts when you mount/dismount the mount yet.

Two questions:

1.  For those that use the Aimpoint QR, has your POI shifted when removing and reinstalling the mount?

2.  What do the ARMS and Larue mounts do that the Aimpoint QR doesn’t do?

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
2.  What do the ARMS and Larue mounts do that the Aimpoint QR doesn’t do?

Are you KIDDING?  They LOOK TACTICAL!!!!!  That's what we all want!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It will probably serve its purpose for most recreational shooters, but it is among the weakest and worst monts of the many, many options available to you.

Thanks.  Please describe how it is weak.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you talking about the Aimpoint QRP mount?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yes
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing wrong with the QRP. It's the original issue mount and works very well. I've had one for several years with no problems. RTZ seems to be fine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got QRP mounts on both of my Aimpoints.  The only problem I've had in the couple years I've had them are that the large know sometimes tangles in the sling or web gear.  I've heard reports of the large knobs breaking during hard use by guys in the military.  I have no plans of replacing either of mine with more expensive mounts.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes

Damn fine mount, and I used one for years with zero problems. I would love for new-arguy to back up his "but it is among the weakest and worst monts" statement. In my opinion its a great mount for the money. Very strong and always kept its zero.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know what Aimpoint was thinking when they put that HUGE KNOB on what could otherwise be a very nice/affordable mount!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would bet money the QRP would break first.

I'm still wondering why?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for your comments guys.

I think I'll stick with the good 'ole advise:  if it isn't broken, don't fix it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#14]
QRP worked for me in iraq,got one my M4 ,i'm old school also if it works run with it
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
QRP worked for me in iraq,got one my M4 ,i'm old school also if it works run with it

Thanks for your service in Iraq.

As you noted, the QRP works. Problem is, it isn't this week's fashonable mount. It doesn't say LaRue or even, cough, cough, ARMS on it so it must suck, right? WRONG! The QRP is a great mount that works. BTW, was fashion a big issue on the ground in Iraq?  I can't imagine popping some islamic dirtbag with my Aimpoint dangling from some crummy old QRP and about to fall of the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, sarcasm mode off...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#17]
There is  an old saying in the military'' if it can be broke a soldier will break it''
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Different reports I have read and what others have told me for the most part. I swear several of the repots specifically compllained about the mount. I'll never forget the picture of the guy in Iraq holding the broken QRP mount in his hand. I realize there are probably going to be problems with all the mounts at some point or another being used in conditions like that, and maybe the reason I have heard so many more problems with the QRP is it is because its used most?

You mean this picture?

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You mean this picture?

www.bob-oracle.com/images/SWATreport_img_40.jpg

While it is clearly broken, it also looks like it'll still hold the aimpoint securely in place.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You mean this picture?

While it is clearly broken, it also looks like it'll still hold the aimpoint securely in place.

How about the ones that wouldn't?  Apparently, this picture was taken as a result of feedback from soldiers who are actually using their weapons for a living.  The mount was considered a weakness by them.

Feedback from Iraq
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You mean this picture?

How about the ones that wouldn't?  Apparently, this picture was taken as a result of feedback from soldiers who are actually using their weapons for a living.  The mount was considered a weakness by them.

Feedback from Iraq

I read the linked report.  There was no general complaint by soldiers about the QRP mount and the only reference to the mount was that picture which had this caption:

"Figure 35. Broken rail grabber as a result of contact (buttstroke) with a combatant."

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You mean this picture?

Feedback from Iraq

I read the linked report.  There was no general complaint by soldiers about the QRP mount and the only reference to the mount was that picture which had this caption:

"Figure 35. Broken rail grabber as a result of contact (buttstroke) with a combatant."

Since the photograph was displayed with the accompanying M68 report and issued a figure number, I'm sure it will be included in any future briefings.  There must be some significance if they photographed it and attached it to the report.

Also, since the failure occured as a result of a buttstroke and the sight is nowhere near the buttstock, that means the weight of the sight alone broke the mount.  Sounds like a weakness to me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You mean this picture?

Feedback from Iraq

Since the photograph was displayed with the accompanying M68 report and issued a figure number, I'm sure it will be included in any future briefings.  There must be some significance if they photographed it and attached it to the report.

Possibly.  However, if the evidence that the QRP is a weak mount is a picture of a mount broken over an enemy's head when the rifle is used as a impact weapon - especially in the light of the shear number of QRP's issued and acutually used in combat - then it's good enough for me.  

Besides, I haven't beat the snot out of anyone with my rifle lately.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Also, since the failure occured as a result of a buttstroke and the sight is nowhere near the buttstock, that means the weight of the sight alone broke the mount. Sounds like a weakness to me.

If so it was probably already cracked or damaged. What about the posibility that it impacted the tango somehow in the followthrough, in wich case I still think it was already cracked.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You mean this picture?

Feedback from Iraq

Also, since the failure occured as a result of a buttstroke and the sight is nowhere near the buttstock, that means the weight of the sight alone broke the mount.  Sounds like a weakness to me.

Looks like one Aimpoint mount that broke after being used as a baseball bat to me. The report went in great detail with other equipment  failures. If the Aimpoint mount was giving them any major problems it would have listed.  All the picture shows is one broken Aimpoint mount, thats it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#26]
+1
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Also, since the failure occured as a result of a buttstroke and the sight is nowhere near the buttstock, that means the weight of the sight alone broke the mount. Sounds like a weakness to me.

If so it was probably already cracked or damaged. What about the posibility that it impacted the tango somehow in the followthrough, in wich case I still think it was already cracked.

That could very well be true.  They may have included the picture to prompt further investigation to see if others are having problems.  It would be interesting to hear feedback from SOF troops as they seem to favor the sturdier platforms.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#29]
One picture of an Aimpoint mount that broke after being used as bat in combat makes the Aimpoint mount "Weak"? Hell, we've all seen photos of broken mounts before from virtually every manufacturer. Does that make them all weak?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#31]
It's an alright mount, you just need to put the knob on the strong side instead of the normal weak side.  That prevents allot of snagging.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#32]
The Aimpoint QRP mount is what is issued to us. We used them in Iraq and had no real problems with them at all. I have seen bent ones but not broken ones, I also use one on my personal M4... On that note do you realize what combat is like at all? Anything can break, and anything WILL break in combat given the right situation. Our M16A4's and M4's broke out there as well. I HATE the aimpoint scopes we have though... total junk. we went to the range this last week and it was raining. Even with the caps closed on the scopes during the rain, when we went to qualify after the rain you could not see AT ALL through the damn things, complete fog out. I have no complaints about the mount though.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top