Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2004 4:39:58 AM EDT
Are the ACOG's still worth the price if one cannot use the BAC?  I have one lazy eye that i know will not work with BAC, so wondering if another magnified optic choice would be better.  I currently use Aimpoints and EoTech's fine, and have a TA46 in the mail.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:09:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I got no response to a similar question so I will commisserate.
I shoot right handed and left eye dominant. For me, looking thru any dot, Acog... is unnatural. I do like the mechanics of the Acog, do not like the large size of the reticle. [A 2x compact w/chevron for me?]
You can use the dot sight, I believe you can use an Acog. Many have posted here that some acclimation comes with use. I believe that will be the case for many. You will be the only judge of that in you'r case.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I do not believe you should purchase an ACOG if you cannot utilize the BAC component of the optic.  The BAC is what allows you to transition quickly from scanning (unzoomed) to aimed (zoomed) in a snap, without this you are trying to use a scope on a CQB weapon and that's a tough row to hoe.

I don't have any experience with other "combat glass" so I won't try to recommend something else.  I'll leave that to those more knowledgeable.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are doing any shooting under say 15 yards (in particular inside of 7 years) then in your case would go with the Eotech or Aimpoint (actually for anyone shooting this side of 50 yards the Eotech or Aimpoint is a great plus).

For shooting at over farther distance the ACOG BAC models still have the advantage of having a bright aiming point that is fast to pick up for shooting.  In your case the Cheveron might be a good option.

However, for good light, medium speed, higher accuracy, there is nothing wrong with a a good low power scope (something in the 1.x to 6 range cover a lot of shooting options).  Have considered changing over one of the deer shotguns to an Aimpoint or ACOG ... but the 1.75 to 6 Leupolds still work well (not much of an issue with white tails under 4 yards in Michigan .... ).
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top