BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 9:39:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Muzzle side signature off of the EOTech.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#2]
ding ding ding, we have a winner. You win nothing, I apoligize.

Think If I send this pic to EOTech they'll do something for me?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If your really worried about giving away your position you might want to take off that big ass light
even with the lamp off that reflector still does its job
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If your really worried about giving away your position you might want to take off that big ass light
even with the lamp off that reflector still does its job

That's not my point. I want my equipment to perform as advritised.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#5]
not defendin the eotech but did u use aflash for taking the pic?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:01:15 AM EDT
[#7]
man that sucks, false advertisement is a bi#ch.

i wanna take the time to tank lumpy and all the other people who owned an aimpoint when i first started lurking here cause i was in the beginning stages of my brd and was contemplating between the two and went with the aimpoint because of all the comments and comparisons

man now that i reread what i just wrote i dont know whether i should be thanking or blaming for the brd but i still love my aimpoint!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:13:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Which model is it?  What Rev?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:34:27 AM EDT
[#9]
If they are close enough to see that, they are already dead.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:50:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I would contact EOtech service via email.  I did with an out of warranty issue I had and they did right by me.  You may find that they will do right by you if you give them the chance.  My EOtech reticle is not visable from the muzzle side.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:11:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I dont worry about it with the Aimpoint.

If someone sees that, they have all the concerns.  If I have some burning desire to lay in ambush and am worried about someone seeing it, I can close the front cap and shoot both eyes open.

You could do that too with your Eo.....oh wait, no you cant

Oh yes you can. I tried it by putting a piece of duct tape on the front of the hood sof it completely covers the sight window and it works just like an Aimpoint with the front cap on.  Of course you need to use both eye and it works like the old Armson OEG.

Cybin,

What Rev is your EOTech? and how high is the brightness setting in that pic?  In low lighting my 552 Rev F does not show any muzzleside signature.   I'll have to play around and see what I can find out, I'll post some pics from  my 552 Rev F later tonight...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:55:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would contact EOtech service via email.  

I e-mailed them almost 4 weeks ago and I have yet to receive a response.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh yes you can. I tried it by putting a piece of duct tape on the front of the hood sof it completely covers the sight window and it works just like an Aimpoint with the front cap on.  

Thats ghetto....

Yes it was but it worked for testing purposes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#15]
What brightness setting did you have it on? If it's high enough that you can see it from the muzzle side then it's too bright to use... only way to see mine from muzzle side is to turn it all the way up and at that brightness you can't see shit because of the reticle blooming.... and you can see a muzzle side signature from an aimpoint the same way- yes, close the caps, or turn it down... with a PVS-14 we could see a muzzle side signature from about 50yds away on a middle setting on an aimpoint... same with an eotech... I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it...

-Roth
(posted under friends' account)
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Which model is it?  What Rev?

Rev C ( I think) It has the old school buttons.

I think it's turned up all the way for the pic, but it still gives a muzzle side sig with the default setting(12 I think).

I beileve the flash was on.

ETA, there was likely no flash, It was taken on a camera phone about 6 months ago.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#17]
as for the

tripower
the Aimpoint
and the Eotech

i have fiddled with them all side by side, and they ALL have crappy muzzle side signature.

its just a biproduct of an illuminated red dot scope.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I think using flash has EVERYTHING to do with your photo. I just tried my Bushnell Holosight , in a pich black bathroom, and only on the brightest setting could I see a hint of the red light, but NONE of the reticle. If I turned it down from its brightest setting one notch, I couldn't see anything from the muzzle end.
If you still see it by eyesight, then something wrong with YOURS.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I was playin with my new EOTech 512 Rev. F the other night and I noted the following:

1.  At any reasonable setting I was able to see muzzle side signature.  I determined this by turning off the lights in my bedroom and pointing my M4 at the mirrorred closet door.  If you stand close enough, you can see the reticle just as if you were standing BEHIND the EOTech.  Maybe it's not visable from 50 yards, but it sure is from 10-15 feet.

2.  With the brightness settings turned up all the way, there is a red reflective glow that lights up my face -  not terribly, but it IS there.  I freely admit the settings were too bright for night time use, but still, there was a glow.

Now, I'm just a weekend warrior, so I really don't care.  I was, however, dismayed to see EOTech's claims so easily disproved.

I do like my EOThingy, though.  It's a keeper.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone do this test with NVG's looking at the muzzle side?  

Eotech v. Aimpoint?

If you can see the Eotech without NVG's, then it must light up like a big ole target indicator with NVGs.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#22]
No muzzle side signitures on either my 552 or my 512 at any setting... yes they have batteries in them, I think.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I dont worry about it with the Aimpoint.

If someone sees that, they have all the concerns.  If I have some burning desire to lay in ambush and am worried about someone seeing it, I can close the front cap and shoot both eyes open.

You could do that too with your Eo.....oh wait, no you cant

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I think using flash has EVERYTHING to do with your photo. I just tried my Bushnell Holosight , in a pich black bathroom, and only on the brightest setting could I see a hint of the red light, but NONE of the reticle. If I turned it down from its brightest setting one notch, I couldn't see anything from the muzzle end.
If you still see it by eyesight, then something wrong with YOURS.

This is why I took the picture., I saw it with my eyes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I talked about this issue last year when I reviewed the EOTech's performance after the FIRE Institute's Carbine 2 (Night-fire) course.

You only can see the light from the front if the sight is turned WAY up.  At a normal 'night'/dark setting you can't see it from the front.  However, at typical night settings the reticule can be washed out with the use of a tactical light.  Also, you only see it if you are in a very narrow 'beam' (basically you are being targeted).

Of more concern is all the red 'backsplash' on your face.  When the sight is turned up that high you face gets a red glow - which is a far better target indicator.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#26]
There is a slight muzzle-side sig, sometimes, if the brightness is turned way up, at least that I have noticed. You can also catch a very occasional "flash" of red from the front, sometimes. There can be a bit of red showing at the rear, again if you have things set up very bright.

Where this usually comes up is when you have rapid changes in ambient lighting. I set up my EOTech in the parking lot before missions, for example. You have to set the reticle bright enough that the SF light won't wash it out during the lighting conditions you are most likely to face. Then I go upstairs for briefing and inspection. Later, when I get on the van to go on our house calls, I notice a nice red golw from mine and some of the other EOTechs. It is only noticable in the blacked-out van, and not when we unass and move out to the target. Just part of doing business.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I talked about this issue last year when I reviewed the EOTech's performance after the FIRE Institute's Carbine 2 (Night-fire) course.

You only can see the light from the front if the sight is turned WAY up.  At a normal 'night'/dark setting you can't see it from the front.  However, at typical night settings the reticule can be washed out with the use of a tactical light.

Forest, I respect the hell out of you (well, your posts anyway...) and don't want to come across as arguing, but:

My experience with my new 512 tells me that when turned on to the default brightness setting (by pressing either the up OR down arrow once) the reticle is clearly visible from the front of my EOTech.  In fact, I would say it is just as visible as it is from behind (that's with me holding it in front of my face looking right through it).  Now maybe it's because my bedroom was pretty dark, or maybe it's because the "default" setting is too bright for night use (not in my opinion, however), but whatever the reason, my particular unit illuminates from the front.  Perhaps I have a defective unit?

Please note, however, that I'm not complaining.  I'm simply voicing my observations so that others who intend to go in harm's way can gather as much info as possible before they make their choices.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Eotech v. Aimpoint?

If you can see the Eotech without NVG's, then it must light up like a big ole target indicator with NVGs.  

I did at the Pat Rogers carbine course in Quantico this past August. We looked at an aimpoint and an eotech muzzle side out to 50yds with both visable and NVG settings... there is a signature with all tested (when aimed directly at you). This was using a PVS-14...

-Roth
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eotech v. Aimpoint?

I did at the Pat Rogers carbine course in Quantico this past August. We looked at an aimpoint and an eotech muzzle side out to 50yds with both visable and NVG settings... there is a signature with all tested (when aimed directly at you). This was using a PVS-14...

-Roth

Hmm, now, what about setting the Aimpont or Eotech to their respective NVG settings?  

Was the test done at their NVG settings?  Is there a signature there?  

Does a killfalsh affect the muzzle-side signature when set to daylight settings?  NVG setting?  

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

My experience with my new 512 tells me that when turned on to the default brightness setting (by pressing either the up OR down arrow once) the reticle is clearly visible from the front of my EOTech.  In fact, I would say it is just as visible as it is from behind (that's with me holding it in front of my face looking right through it).  Now maybe it's because my bedroom was pretty dark, or maybe it's because the "default" setting is too bright for night use (not in my opinion, however), but whatever the reason, my particular unit illuminates from the front.  Perhaps I have a defective unit?

I believe you have a defective unit if the reticle is clearly visible from ther front of your EOtech.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top