Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 8:07:46 AM EDT
I just got a Hakko Tacpoint in yesterday. Should the red dot look like one dot or should it be a bunch of small dots? Also the collection of red dots is not in a very uniform circle. Is this normal for the Tacpoints? I know you get what you pay for and maybe that is the case here. I ultimtely want a trijicon for my new m4gery. The Tacpoint is a temporary solution for me.

Thanks,

Steve
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Take it back. My Tacpoint has the best dot I've seen --- But as we all know Q.C. is everything and maybe they don't do much of that in China
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have an astigmatism? it will always give you that effect no matter that manufacturer. I get it with my Eotech (Though my brother says it's sharp), but I plan on getting my eyeball burned soon so hopefully it will go away or diminish.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#3]
To my knowledge I do not have a problem with my eyes. I have looked thru an eotech before and the center dot looked fine. However the outter ring appeared to be a collection of tiny dots but it looked uniform.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Got my tactpoint two days ago. When I first turned it on the red dot was bright and crisp. Within minutes the dot turned squirly.  Looked like a fiine red pen had made irregular circles.  I changed the batteries out and it worked fine.  Good indicator of weak batteries apparently.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine looks fine. The dot is red bright and crisp.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I just picked one up.  For the price I really couldn't beat it.  I have a BSA red dot and I hate it (it works fine but it's like taping a soda can to the top of my rifle..it's too big).

The red dot on mine burns brite and easy to see.  It does feel like a toy (no flame intended).  Does anyone know if the Aimpoint feels the same (looking for an answer from someone who has both to do a real comparision)?

Anyways, what are you guys using as a mount?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone said that it felt just like an AIMPOINT..but the Tac was slightly heavier if I remember correctly. As for the mount, is it a flat top..? Or carry handle...? Ive got an A2 carry handle and am using an ARMS #16A.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Try looking at a target 15m away and not the dot itself. Does it still look like a bunch of dots? If so there is something wrong with it. I am betting the dot sharpens up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#9]
When I look thru the optic and really focus on the target the dots do blur together. The circle still is not very symetrical. It is a rough dot. I went and bought new batteries and I still have the problem. I gues I will see if I can get an RMA. Bummer!!!

Steve
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do you have an astigmatism? it will always give you that effect no matter that manufacturer. I get it with my Eotech (Though my brother says it's sharp), but I plan on getting my eyeball burned soon so hopefully it will go away or diminish.

My eyes are fine, and I have never seen a Eotech that didn't look a little pixilated.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#12]
 When I look thru my Hakko Bed 30 from inside my house, it looks blurry, at night even more.
 This was also true with my Aimpont, if somewhat less so.  Using the sight outside in full light and focusing on target not dot so much, then the dot should be sharp.  If not, then sight or your eyes need fixing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Wheredya get that Hakko from and for how much? Cheapest I've seen is some dude on ebay sellin em for 99 plus 8 shipping.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Texas Tactical had them for $95, but that was a group buy. $99 sound good to me. I got mine for $119.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I picked up my tacpoint from bowerstactical.com. It was $94 shipped. I was not familar with bowerstactical but they got the product to me fast and I have already talked to them about returning the scope. I would buy from them again.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:32:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I got mine from Bowers also.
I think it was 88.00 plus 6 for shipping.
Decent to deal with.

I was planing on mounting this on a flat top (A3) using an AMRS mount but the mount would cost more than the optic.

Mine has a decent red dot, not really defined but defintely a red dot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Every red dot looked like a "starburst" to me until I put the glasses on.  Then I ordered some "Toric" contact lenses (Acuvue), which correct astigmatism (unlike the standard Acuvue I've worn for years).

The difference is night and day.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#19]
To all who have problems with ANY red dot. Try this. Get the red dot (ANY BRAND) and turn it on in a dark room. If the dot looks misshapen or has a tail or just doesn't look sharp take careful note of EXACTLY what you see. Sit there and let you eyes adjust and look at the dot for at least a minute.

Then Walk outside into bright sunlight and adjust the red dot to an appropriate level of intensity. If the dot suddenly looks perfect, it's your eyes. You may even have 20/20 vision but if the dot does the above. It's your eyes ya just have to live with it.

Now if it is still misshapen then it is the sight.

One other test is turn the dot sight on and look through it. Now “roll” the sight 360 degrees while looking through the sight and if the tail of misshape does not roll with the sight, again it is your eyes.

I hope this helps

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I saw that aimpoint mentioned turning the red dot 360 to see if it is a problem with your eyes or the scope. I guess I have some kind of eye problem. When I rotate the scope the pattern stays stationary. What kind of eye problem is this? Also I only have this problem in poorly light conditions. If I go outside in the sun the dot looks very good.

Thanks,

Steve
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Mines good to go, question though as to what practical range i should sight it in at?  did not take it to the range today as i had to scope in a .17 remington and that took a little bit, then the AK took over.  I would probably say 50 meters.  any other opinions?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Mines good to go, question though as to what practical range i should sight it in at?  did not take it to the range today as i had to scope in a .17 remington and that took a little bit, then the AK took over.  I would probably say 50 meters.  any other opinions?

Our sight in stall (on our 100 yrd range) is at 25 yards.  Probably more due to safety reasons than anything else.  The idea is to avoid any mishaps if you're initial config is WAY the heck off (they don't want anybody putting a hole in a neighbor's skull half a mile away because you shot OVER the backstop).  Beyond that, whatever works for you (for an initial sight in), works.  As long as it's moderately close, you can fine tune it later.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:53:20 AM EDT
[#23]
right, just to get it on paper you can go whatever distance, but what do you think a practical, center mass, for the POI should be, i'm not house clearing or anything but if need be....mostly will be out at the range with the m4gery.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#24]
50 yards IBZ

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw

Then site the red dot to 50 yards as well...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top