Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2004 7:42:43 PM EDT
I have en route to me a Leupole VXIII, 4.5-14X40, 30MM, long range, adjustable parallax with Boone and Crockett reticle.

I need help with the subtle nuances of scope mounting. I have mounted base, rings and scope before, but not on a scope of this quality.

The scope is going on a Remington 700, 7MM mag. and potentially on a remington 300 Ultra Mag. used strictly for hunting.

Are Leupold bases/rings adequate? Is there an industry standard for quality or is a base/ring a base/ring?

Is Lapping the rings necessary?

Is there an idiots guide to scope mounting online anywhere?

Throw in your .02.
thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the QRW rings and bases from Leupold.  They don't look tactical, but you said you are using the rifle for hunting.  If they are mounted right, I have not had to lap rings.  I like the QRW's because I have never had one mark up my scope.  I can't say that for the tactical rings I have used.  

There is a little trick in getting the upper half over the scope.  Not easy to explain I would have to show you a photo of how I do it.

If you are interested, I am selling some I had left over from some build I just finished.

Here

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:03:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Instead of making a new topic I'll ask here.
I've never mounted my own scope and need to know:  what is the rule of thumb or rule outright about the tightness of the rings?  For instance, I don't want to over tighten the rings and crush the tube - especially on my cheesy, plastic TriPower.  have
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have an inch/pound torque wrench, about 15 in/lbs will do it.  Otherwise, take the allen wrench that comes with the rings and tighten the screws only as much as you can using the short handle.  Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you have an inch/pound torque wrench, about 15 in/lbs will do it.  Otherwise, take the allen wrench that comes with the rings and tighten the screws only as much as you can using the short handle.  Hope that helps.

Use the short handle when I have an excuse to buy a new tool?  Never!  he

Thanks for that tip.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Habu, I have a couple of spare sets of  Leupold bases and rings for the Rem 700.

Standard windage adjustable bases and the super high (used with a 56mm cope on a 700) and medium or high too.

You're welcome to try them out if you'd like.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top