Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2004 6:37:01 AM EDT
What can you guys tell me about the new Eotech 553? What makes the 553 different from Eotechs current lineup? When is it going to be available to civilians? Are there any pictures of it available?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged hoping C4 shows up with some answers.
VA, what have you heard so far? I didn't know there was anything new from them except the magnified optic.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#2]
All I know is its the model choosen by USSOCOM and its waterproof and Submersible to 66 feet. Other than that, I don't have a clue. I'm wondering if there are any other differences over a 551/552 F.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#3]
It looks like a 552 Rev F but upgraded for maritime operations. Here is what EOTech had on their web page.  

EOTech announces the introduction of a deep-water HOLOgraphic Weapon Sight for use by elite Special Forces and Naval Commando groups. This special version of the Model 550 Holographic Weapon Sight (HWS) has been upgraded to allow a water submersion depth of 66 feet for up to 2 hours. This water sealing upgrade is an optional feature on the model 550AA and is by special order only. Please contact the factory for pricing and availability. Order code 553.A65

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The 553 is built and is basically the "Crane" model. It has a tethered battery compartment and is rated at 66 feet. EOTech is not sure if they are going to release it to the Civy market...

C4

Because my pool is not that deep, I can just keep my 552 then.
If you are a profesional who needs to dive with your M4 below 33 feet,  my guess is you will have one issued. Anyone else who wants one needs to be crowned "Queen Gear Queer"
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The 553 is built and is basically the "Crane" model. It has a tethered battery compartment and is rated at 66 feet. EOTech is not sure if they are going to release it to the Civy market...

C4

Because my pool is not that deep, I can just keep my 552 then.
If you are a profesional who needs to dive with your M4 below 33 feet,  my guess is you will have one issued. Anyone else who wants one needs to be crowned "Queen Gear Queer"

You lost me with the "Gear Queer" comment.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I think you are right Grant. A lot of us want the best because it is the best, not because we "need" it. Come on VA, you have been here long enough to know what a gear queer is!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think you are right Grant. A lot of us want the best because it is the best, not because we "need" it. Come on VA, you have been here long enough to know what a gear queer is!

I know exactly what it is, I just don't see how owning a 553 fits into category.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know exactly what it is, I just don't see how owning a 553 fits into category.

Really? Ok, I'll explain it as I see it. The 552 is submersible to 33 ft. and the new 553 is EXACTLY THE SAME THING but  submersible to 66 ft.
If you HAVE TO HAVE the 553, but will NEVER go even 10 feet under water, ...you might be a "gear queer".
It's not an insult. It just means that you buy the best whether you need it or not.
C4 can explain it better than I can. I am sure he sells tons of gear to guys who want high speed gear who will never use it for anything other than paper targets.
Like I said, it is not an insult.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? Ok, I'll explain it as I see it. The 552 is submersible to 33 ft. and the new 553 is EXACTLY THE SAME THING but  submersible to 66 ft.
If you HAVE TO HAVE the 553, but will NEVER go even 10 feet under water, ...you might be a "gear queer".
It's not an insult. It just means that you buy the best whether you need it or not.
C4 can explain it better than I can. I am sure he sells tons of gear to guys who want high speed gear who will never use it for anything other than paper targets.

Did I not just read a post that you purchased a Tacpoint? Maybe to YOU owning a 553 makes someone a "Gear Queer", but not to me. I think its more along the lines of wanting the most reliable scope I can get with my hard earned money.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did I not just read a post that you purchased a Tacpoint? Maybe to YOU owning a 553 makes someone a "Gear Queer", but not to me. I think its more along the lines of wanting the most reliable scope I can get with my hard earned money.

Is that so that if you accidentally hit it with your power washer when you are power washing your driveway, (because your rifle is sitting just inside the garage just in case you might need it) you don't want hose up your nice EoTech sight?    
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that so that if you accidentally hit it with your power washer when you are power washing your driveway, (because your rifle is sitting just inside the garage just in case you might need it) you don't want hose up your nice EoTech sight?    

Actually, I don't have to worry about Eotechs and water. Its my Chinese airsoft optics that give the troubles.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Oh yeah, I bought a Tac-Point for my RRA 9mm carbine. This is my bowling pin and steel plate gun. And because I don't have to use an SDV to get to the range, I don't really need submersible optics on this one! And I DO think anyone other than a Navy SEAL who buys a 553 is a "gear queer" considering it is not any more reliable than a 552.  I fully admit that I am a "gear queer" myself. I buy the best gear for my fighting weapons and more affordable gear for my range guns. That way I can buy MORE, and that makes ME a GEAR WHORE! Buy whatever you want. Justify it however you want. I don't really know you or what you use your weapons for. You could be an LEO door kicker, or a Marine sniper. Or you could be a guy who likes cool stuff and wants the best for his hobby. Either way, IT WAS NOT AN INSULT!!!! And picking on my tac-point was below the belt, man. What did my tac-point ever do to you?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top