Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2004 3:22:26 AM EDT
Hi all,

Been a long time lurker and started to post here 2 years ago before deploying to Iraq. On that deployment I took a ACOG TA-01 and i liked it but when I got hurt and was Medical evac'ed back to Germany some MF took it and I never got it back.

So now that I have just about recovered from my injuries its time to deploy again. Dont want a ACOG again due to its price, leaning toward a Comp M2 or Eotech (but no magnification which I would like).

Conditiones will suck, lots of dust and sand, I dont expect much CQB but you never know. I would like something 2X, NVG compatible and rugged and I want co-use with the irons on my M16A2!

Also, which is better, a forward mount over the hand guards or on the carry handle? I would think the carry handle would be more sturdy and keep a better zero???

Any ideas/suggestions for me?
Thanks for reading and your time.

Dan

EDIT: After reading the LONNGGGGG debate about Eotech and the Aimpoint I STILL have no idea which optic would be correct for me in the conditions I will be in.???!?!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:11:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Dan,

I am running a EOTECH on my carbine in A'stan currently - my buddy has a M2 Aimpoint.  IMHO it is six of one, half dozen of the other - personal preference.

Where you going to be? City or Rural ?  I am cooped up in Kabul so I elected not to use my TA31 ACOG.  

IMHO what you seem to want is a compact ACOG - (but not the price tag).  Again in my opinion you are SOL - there are not realyl any decent optics in that spec / prie range.

Take Care,

Kevin
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:42:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Aimpoint or Eotech there isn't a bad decision.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dan, one cannot have magnification AND co-witness with irons.
quote]

Then maybe I am saying it wrong, I want to have the optic with 2X or so AND move down and see just the irons. Make sense?

I had it with my TA-01, look thru irons then move my head up and see thru optics.

Thanks for the replies!

No clue really where I will be, grapewine says up north towards bagram.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#5]

I've used an Aimpoint on top of the carry handle and was not very fond of it.  Cheek weld is gone and use of irons was not as good through the channel on the mount.

I would suggest the gooseneck and cowitness with irons.  If you want to use just irons the Aimpoint tube is big enough to see through and not obstruct the view of your front site post.

God bless you and be safe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Motor, trg the ANA?  or other.

Honestly the TA31/TA11 series is IMHO the best combat optic out there for non conjested urban ops.  X4 for tgt detection/differentiation and BAC for closer quicker stuff.

Failing that - EO or Aim - out to 400 once you know something needs attention those will do the job.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#7]
^^^^

what he said holds water
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't believe somebody stole your optic when you got hurt. I mean I can, but damn.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I can't believe somebody stole your optic when you got hurt. I mean I can, but damn.

+1

Some people just need a good ass-whoopin'

BTW, my vote is for Aimpoint out to 2-250 meters.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 Aimpoint or Eotech
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#11]
if your in afgan...  you may have to engage far away targets... i'd look into mini acog or a ta31

if trijicon is out of the question you are left with AIMPOINT... great optic...
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#12]
You know, if you are tight for cash get a carrying handle mount and a Leupold scope-like a 4x compact. Most carrying handle mounts let you see the irons-not always well, but better than nothing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Hi all,
Thanks for all the replies!!!

Yeah, my TA-01 was taken, along with all the other goodies (Strider knife, a few gerbers/leathermans, a digital camera and so on....)
It sucks but what can I do?

So moving on, I think I am sold on the Aimpoint. I will be deployed at least 6 months but it looks like a year so battery life will be crucial to me. I dont want to pack a bunch of batteries so the aimpoint wins there (if I read correctly).

Also I was thinking the goose neck mount over the hands wouldnt be so strong and maybe loose the zero? Im I understanding you all that looking thru the aimpoint I will see the red dot AND the irons with the goose neck mount? That doesnt sound appealing to me at all. Someone please help inform me hanks,Dan, AR15's favorite fan!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:58:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:28:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd go with the ver E or F EoTech 552 or 551 but mainly 552 because 552 batteries are easier to find.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#16]
One of the biggest bonus's to the CCO/EOTECH or even the BAC ACOG's is a point that Chuck jarred my memory with

The front sight post does not "block" your vision. You can shoot the M68 with the front cover closed and still see the dot down range -- if you keep both eyes open.

With the dust magnified optics like the C79/C79A2 ELCAN can be easily obscured rendering them less effective (even totally useless).  With an optic like the CCO this will not effect your usage.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#17]

A well made gooseneck is as solid as anything else but it is a little more heavy.  

As far as the cowitnessing I think most people like it once they see it.  It is a lot like having a trijicon front site post.  Some like the dot on top of the post.  Others position the dot so that the top of the dot touches the top of the post.  Either way it makes a good site picture. IMHO

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:18:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
(I strongly recommend IBSZ unless your chain-of-command is clueless
-- Chuck

Maybe I am clueless but what is IBSZ?  something Battle sight zero?Hummmmm
Dan
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Here is another post about it: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=190045

Look for the chart Forest posted.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top