Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2004 7:16:47 PM EDT
I have a flat top upper with an Eotech 552, ARMS #40L, and a LaRue Eotech mount.

Right now, I am not using the LaRue, and wondering if I should or not.  

With the LaRue and the added height, should I still cowitness by lowering the dot down?  

Do people normally shoot with the rear sight up or down?

The reason why I am asking, is that I seem to shoot better with the rear sight down and hold my sight picture such that I move the dot away from the sight post.  My eyesight seems to work better when the bottom of the target is not obscured by the front sight and I get a full view of the target around the dot.

This is making me think I should get a barrel with out a front sight post and get a flip up front sight as well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I run a standard A-2 front sight, Arms 40, and Eotech right on the upper. I zeroed the iron sights and then installed the Eotech sight and adjusted it to match the irons. Once the Eotech is zeroed it doesn't matter if you can see the center dot with your irons. You can move your head where ever and still be zeroed. I shoot it rear sight down and I never have a problem with the front sight base in the way. You won't notice it if your watching the target and putting the dot on it. If you are looking for the front sight base then you will see it. I don't personally need the extra height of a spacer.

Cheers
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the thoughts Wes.  

That confirms what I was thinking, that the Eotech and other red dots work better when the field of view is unobstructed.  

True, you do not notice the front sight post when shooting at larger sized targets, but if you have a finer target to hit, the post does get in the way.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:29:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Wes, if I put the EOTech/LaRue combo on an SF M73, will it raise the sight enough so the irons are  in the lower 1/3 (or does it raise just enough to sit the dot on top of the front sight post)?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:31:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#7]
just got my les baer ar15 thunder ranch and a eo 511- mounted the eo just in front of the carry handle on the flat top and it lined up perfectly with the iron sights. very minor adjusting of the eo and its dead on.didnt need a lerue -just clamped it right to the rail and away you go
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
LOWER THIRD.

WES

Hooah! Thanks Wes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I have ARMS #40 flip up, and 512 EO Tech. Will the LaRue EO Tech mount work the same (co- witness over the front sight) if it is mounted on the front portion of the ARMS bi-level SIR # 50?

What about mounting the EO Tech on the ARMS #45 SIR in front of the rear flip up? Is the ARMS #45 SIR the same .275 height as the LaRue mount?

Mike
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:39:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#12]
EoTech's and the Bi-level SIRs work very well together. Extremely so.
Simply put, he bi-level SIR is one of the best options out there for an EOTech. The mounting position out front is the best place an EOTech can be on an M4 type rifle. Take a look at some of the HSLD photos.
That being said, where it goes is up to your personal comfort zone.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#13]
C4iGrant,

Can you tell us more about that rear flip BUIS?  I could not find it on your site.

Dave S
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#14]
That is the Troy Industries rear BUIS.

Many very knowledgeable/experienced folks highly recommend them.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top