Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2004 6:19:24 PM EDT
I'm new to mounting rails on AR-15s and need to ask some rookie questions.
1.  What is the difference between a Weaver rail and a Picatinny rail?
2.  I just bought a RRA R4. What kind of rail does it have on the upper and on the tactical carry handle?
3.  Can I use a Weaver style scope ring on a Picatinny rail?
4.  Can I use a Picatinny style scope ring on a Weaver rail?

Sorry for the rookie questions, any help from the veteran shooters out there would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:48:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, there is a difference between Picatinny and Weaver rails. I cannot recall exactly what the difference is, but believe that it has to do with slot spacing or depth. Your RRA will have a Picatinny rail. As for interchanging rings, I do not know. If you are going to mount a regular rifle scope (not a red dot), I'd recommend the ArmaLite one-piece mount or a set of ARMS #22 throw lever rings.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Weaver rails have slightly narrower spacing between rails, rings made for Weaver and Pic rails are not interchangeable.  If your RRA came with the "tactical carry handle", sell it.  If not, don't buy it, there are better ways to mount an Aimpoint for which it was made.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top