Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2004 6:26:08 AM EDT
We just got a couple of Elcan M145's from Uncle Sam that were used surplus.  As far as I can tell, they seem to be pretty decent, except the tightening bolts look a little bent.  The one with the filter looks a little nicer than the other one.  I took a few pics including a couple through the optics.  I apologize for the one being canted that's outside, it was sitting on the trunk of the squad.  If anyone knows much about them that can give me a little more info, or might see something wrong, please let me know.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Now all you need is an M249.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Now all you need is an M249.  

I was planning on trying the good one on our M14.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I love how those got surplused out. I tried to get those for my Plt's SAW's before I retired with no luck cause they were like $800 in the supply system. No offense to you or your dept. but it just shows the US Army has a long way to go before they get their supply issue's worked out. We could not afford them at the time, but Uncle Sugar figured he could DRMO them for free to some one else.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Pretty sure these are calibrated for 7.72mm NATO machine guns, so your M14 should be real close.

If you find a way to mount it I'd sure appreciate knowing how!

-- Chuck

From the Armament Technology Website

Mount  Base Requirement  MIL-STD-1913 “Picatinny Rail”
Attachment  US Army Torque Knob
Windage and Elevation  0.25 mil detent zeroing adjustments.  
Line of Sight  Identical to ELCAN Optical Sight approximating M16/AR15 iron sight
Ballistic Compensation M240/M249: Blended 7.62/5.56 NATO  
M4: 5.56 NATO (62gr FMJ)

I haven't had a chance to see yet, but I think it'll mount to a picatinny rail.  So, any of the mounts out there so theoretically work.  I just hope that it isn't too high, though.

I love how those got surplused out. I tried to get those for my Plt's SAW's before I retired with no luck cause they were like $800 in the supply system. No offense to you or your dept. but it just shows the US Army has a long way to go before they get their supply issue's worked out. We could not afford them at the time, but Uncle Sugar figured he could DRMO them for free to some one else.....

Yeah, it doesn't seem like the government makes a lot of sense most of the time.  Unless there's something else that I'm not seeing, the only major problem with the sight is the bent knob and a little wear, so I don't know why they got rid of them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Well. at least they will go to good use with your Dept..
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top