Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2004 7:50:21 AM EDT
I picked up a 16" kit AR  few months ago from a fella I know who needed some cash and let it go at a very good price. I had absolutely zero need for another AR type rifle, but you know how they goes, right? LOL.

At any rate, it's not a flat-top model, has standard A2 stock and bare muzzle. It's bone stock and plain. I'm pretty sure he got it from JT since it's not far from here. Anyway, I think I should do something with this gun since I have it here, other than to use as a dust catcher. I figure it would make an ideal plinker. I've kinda grown fond of Aimpoint and EO Tech, but I don't want to spend that much money considering the purpose. It isn't like this will be for SHTF or home defense, just a fun gun. But I would like to get the best red dot I could find without getting up into several hundred dollars price. This will also be a carry handle mount job as I want to keep costs minimal.

What would you suggest getting? I don't care to spend upwards of $150 or thereabouts. But anything over $200 is out. That's just too much money for a sight that will be used to shoot beer cans with. But I would like to get something that will be tough enough to give me lots of service and won't break after a week.

-CH
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:58:42 AM EDT
[#1]
OKO

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1468

I'm sure if you shop around you can find 'em cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Norman, I'll check into those. I always thought those appeared to be pretty good sights and I guess even though a bit toward the top end of my price range, they would give me a sight that sits between the cheap ones and combat quality ones. They are carry handle friendly too, right?

Has anyone here had any experience with the offerings from Tasco, Simmons, or the cheaper Aimpoint sights (not the military type)? I kinda have a preference for the tube type sights, but I'll give the OKO serious consideration.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#3]
What about the Hakko Tacpoint? I've never used one, but it seems like it would fit the bill for an inexpensive dot-scope that could handle moderate abuse...I mean use...
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#4]
tacpoint for a cheap red dot
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#5]
scopesandmore.meridian1.net/s/scopesandmore/default.asp?S=503&A=E&PKV=RSR-HAKTAC1|0

Damn! That's a helluva nice looking scope for that price. It certainly has the look of the Aimpoint...now if it will just stand up to a small-moderate amount of abuse, this is all I need for this project. I think the TacPoint will be my scope for this gun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What about the Hakko Tacpoint? I've never used one, but it seems like it would fit the bill for an inexpensive dot-scope that could handle moderate abuse...I mean use...

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked one of THESE for a CX4  because  didn’t like the way an EOTech 512 looked on the weapon ...... Anyway , I'm very happy with the way it works . It was $75 well spent ( For A Change) . I'm sure the Optics snobs will extol the virtues of their $$$$$ optics , but for me . If it puts the rounds where I'm aiming and does it over and over again I'll smile all the way to the bank
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Will the Aimpoint flash kill work with the tacpoint?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.aspencountry.com/aspen/assets/product_images/product_lib/31000-31999/31655.jpg

Why don't you do like the THIRD one ...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.aspencountry.com/aspen/assets/product_images/product_lib/31000-31999/31655.jpg

Why don't you do like the THIRD one ...

you sure are a touchy bitch, ain'tcha?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#11]
ive got a simmons 40mm mounted scout style on my ak47 and its pretty dam good considering it was only $50. ive gone through over 2000 rounds and it has never lost zero or given any problems what so ever. in the $50 range its definately THE BEST.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I PUT A BURRIS SPEED DOT 135 ON MY DISSIPATOR TODAY. IT COST ME 185.00 AND IT WORKS GREAT. I USED A 5/8" RISER FROM CMMG INC. AND IT COWITNESS'S AWESOMELY. ALOT OF YOU GUYS TOLD ME NOT TO GET THE BURRIS, BUT I DID AND I DON'T REGRET IT YET. I WENT TO THE RANGE AND SHOT 1.5" GROUPS @ 50 YDS, AND JUST UNDER 3" @ 100 YDS (SOME PRACTICE AND I'LL GET THEM SMALLER). I'VE DONE BETTER WITH MY IRON SIGHTS BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT A RED DOT WAS DESIGNED FOR. BURRIS HAS A 35MM RETICLE SO FINDING THE TARGET WASN'T A PROBLEM. BOTH EYES OPEN, AND IMPRESSIVE GROUPS.
MY ADVICE IS NOT TO BE TO CHEAP WHEN IT COMES TO OPTICS, BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO WITH THE CROWD EITHER. THERE ARE SOME GOOD OPTICS OUT THERE FOR LESS THAN $200. IF YOU WANT QUALITY I WOULDN'T SPEND MUCH LESS.http://www.bbqforumhosting.com/don/angle.jpg
http://www.bbqforumhosting.com/don/side.jpg
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
you sure are a touchy bitch, ain'tcha?

You sure are a bitch, ain'tcha?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Just out of curiosity, I put a $30 BSA red dot that I had laying around on my AR.  It worked OK...for the first 50 rounds or so.  After that, the dot would quit for about four or five seconds after each shot - just enough time for me to say, "Hey, WTF?".  Then it would fade back in, or I'd get impatient and flip it off and back on, then line up the next shot.  Some folks have had good luck with BSA's on AR's, but mine is going back on my .22 pistol.

Still saving for something better...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What would you suggest getting? I don't care to spend upwards of $150 or thereabouts. But anything over $200 is out. That's just too much money for a sight that will be used to shoot beer cans with. But I would like to get something that will be tough enough to give me lots of service and won't break after a week.

-CH

I sent an email to [email protected] (the current US distributor) about a week ago, they quoted me a price below that of Brownells and within your budget range.  

I posted a topic a week ago on a Russian optic that might fit the bill.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh no not another Tacpoint thread......
I have played with the OKO sights and really like them.  If you put it on a gooseneck mount on the carry handle I know you will like it.  Just stay away from airsoft sights.... IE the tacpoint.  OK people just let me have my opinion.  There is no need to trash this guys thread.  Or I saw in the new Brownells catalog there is a mount for a carry handle that puts the little mini red dots on the top.  You could get that.  You can find the JPoint and Optima 2000 sights on the EE and Ebay all day long.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:27:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Had an old Tasco Red Dot lying around since using it on rimfires & centerfire pistols.
I guess it was at the end of life. Used it on my M4gery twice, 200 rnds or so, and the insides are cocked at an angle, but that dot still works!? I think I got my $30 worth out of it, with all the guns it's been on.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top