Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 2:41:43 PM EDT
Would a TA31 4x32 be too much on an 11.5 SBR? I really like 11.5s and I really like ACOGs. Would it be stupid to combine the two?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#1]
get a compact ACOG
the BDC is worthless on a barrel that short
my .02
Remman
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
My suggestion... get a compact ACOG.  Lighter, smaller, faster... and cheaper to boot!  Get the LaRue mount for it, also!

-Randy

ETA: Picture added for disclosure...
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would that be bad? The idea that you won't shoot farther than X number of yards with an 11.5? I would take a 200 yard shot with an 11.5 any day of the week and anythime I am shooting more than 75 yards max the aimpoint comes off and the TA31 goes on.

IPSC_GUY

Just to stir the pot on balistic accuracy... once a bullet has made one full revolution in the barrel it is as stable as it is going to get. After that the longer barrel only builds velocity. Things like the quality of the crown and how good the barrel is will affect accuracy MUCH more than barrel length.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The full size ACOG would be worthless because the BDC would not function worth a damn on an 11.5. Get the compact and learn your hold overs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Couldn't you just learn where the BDC hits for your barrel length and ammo?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
krecon1, I agree that long shots can be taken... but when does the BDC kick in on a TA-31?  400m?  That's excessive for an 11.5" barrel...

-Randy
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Couldn't you just learn where the BDC hits for your barrel length and ammo?

-Because it would be WAY off. You might even start to get lines confused.
-because the stadia lines don't even start until 300m, and thats farther than the 11.5 is useful to.

The 11.5 is an <200m CQB weapon. The scope should be light, and fast to go with that. It is not a >500m General Purpose  weapon like an M4 with a TA31 can be.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#8]
What scope should I put on it? I'm not fond of batteries and I'd like a little magnification.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]
A compact ACOG is your only good choice if you want magnification and no batteries.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#10]
there are other options
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
there are other options
216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/196/196030/folders/159627/1156791rifleright.JPG

If that were mounted on a 11.5" barrel, how long would the front lens of the optics last?  Even if it withstood the shock of being about 2" away from the A2 FS blasting straight up into it, the lens would quickly become coated with residue... or am I crazy?  Background, I had a SF light mounted on the FSB of a dissy and the lens was disgusting after shooting a few rounds.

-Randy
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
there are other options
216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/196/196030/folders/159627/1156791rifleright.JPG

If that were mounted on a 11.5" barrel, how long would the front lens of the optics last?  Even if it withstood the shock of being about 2" away from the A2 FS blasting straight up into it, the lens would quickly become coated with residue... or am I crazy?  Background, I had a SF light mounted on the FSB of a dissy and the lens was disgusting after shooting a few rounds.

-Randy

That's a good point about the 11.5" .  But you don't have to use the long eye relief scope.  CJ said the compact ACOG was the only choice, but there is a whole host of low power conventional optics available that can be mounted on an AR.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#13]
You have a point Norman, but personally I would want nothing to do with any optic that was not illuminated. All of my rifles are battle weapons, even my hunting rifles, and I want to have a decent night shooting ability.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:58:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll have a look at compact ACOGs if I can find any...

I have been looking at Trijicon Reflex's also. I've seen all the comments about washout and such, but it didnt, happen when I went running around an office building with it (not mounted :P) I am red/green colorblind and I've heard this can make a difference in how the dot is presented. Is there any reason behind this?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:58:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I have been looking at Trijicon Reflex's also. I've seen all the comments about washout and such, but it didnt, happen when I went running around an office building with it (not mounted :P) I am red/green colorblind and I've heard this can make a difference in how the dot is presented. Is there any reason behind this?

The washout comes from the sunlight.  You wouldn't have noticed it indoors really.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Compact ACOG  or VXIII 1.5 - 5  Illuminated circle dot. Look up Leupold.com for a good description. I am looking pretty hard at this for a 16"car. . Works 'on, or off'. Range finding, fast and clear/bright.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#18]
tagged for future ref
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The washout comes from the sunlight.  You wouldn't have noticed it indoors really.

Unless he turned on a flashlight.

That too.  As I heard from an instructor at Gunsite,  everyone that comes to school with a Reflex winds up with toilet paper tubes and duct tape on them by the time they're done.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Most red-dot style reticles are red (thus the name), so if you are red/green colorblind the amber reticle of the Reflex (not all Reflex reticles are amber by the way) can appear to have better contrast than an Aimpoint, Eotech or other red reticle. For most people with normal color vision, this is not the case and the red reticles generally offer better contrast.

Normally, I wouldn't recommend the Reflex but since it is one of the few reflex-style sights to offer an amber reticle, it may be the best sight out there for people with red/green colorblindness. You will still have washout issues; but it should affect you less than most people and you may have washout issues at least as bad with the Aimpoint or Eotech due to the red color.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top