Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2004 12:58:05 PM EDT
Finally purchased a RRA flat-top receiver to complete my Bushmaster M4gery. Being installed at the gunsmith's as I type. I did not buy an A3 detachable carry handle, so I am starting with a clean slate.

I decided on an Aimpoint CompML2. I was also thinking about BUIS of some kind. Not really looking for co-witnessing if I understand that to mean that the red dot will be painted right on the top of the front sight. Would like it to be above the front sight a little bit. Know what I mean? Also "quick release" capable mounts are not really necessary as I am only planning on buying one set of optics. Is there some other reason why quick release mounts are desireable?

So the options just get bewildering.

I was thinking of getting an ARMS #38 and then mounting the Aimpoint to that using the Aimpoint 30mm Mount-X-wide ring (not worried about "quick release" as I don't plan on buying extra optics). Now will that be tall enough, too tall or too low and blocking the front sight?

Or could I just mount the Aimpoint to my receiver using the Mount-X-wide ring or would that be too low for the iron sights? I notice that the ARMS 22M68 looks a lot higher.  

I was leaning towards getting one of those #38 Swan sleeves because it incorporates the rear sight (for about $165) versus seperate mounts and back up sights for about $190.

Anyway, somebody please understand what I want and just tell me what to buy.

Thanks
madkiwi
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

and just tell me what to buy.

Thanks
madkiwi

OK..... You should buy a LaRue BUIS and a LaRue Aimpoint mount.  Both mounts have throw levers, but just because they have them doesn't mean you have to use them.  Also, you say you don't care about co-witnessing but once you use this setup you will be glad you did.  This will put the dot above the front sight just like you want.   G&R Tactical has all the LaRue stuff.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
LaRue M68 CCO Aimpoint mount will put the dot comfortably over the front sight.  Unless you must have a flip up, the LaRue BUIS is a damned fine piece of hardware as well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#3]
M656 and brassburn,

WORD
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Mad, exactly where about in CA are you? I am going to shoot at Chabot (In Casto Valley) this weekend and I could let you take a look down my AR to get a better idea about mounts and such. Fr my AR I went with the ARMS 22M68 with cant. spacer, but as the previous three posters suggested, you cannot go wrong with LaRue.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#5]
cnorton,

I am in Daly City, I would love to come over to Chabot this weekend but I have too much to do. My brother is visiting from Washngton, and I am 1/2 way through painting the house. Plus we are going on vacation next week.

Bitch of it is that I need to get out with my Savage 10FP this weekend as I am going to be shooting it offhand in a competition in two weeks.

When will you be there, maybe I can sneak away for a couple hours.

madkiwi
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
cnorton,

I am in Daly City, I would love to come over to Chabot this weekend but I have too much to do. My brother is visiting from Washngton, and I am 1/2 way through painting the house. Plus we are going on vacation next week.

Bitch of it is that I need to get out with my Savage 10FP this weekend as I am going to be shooting it offhand in a competition in two weeks.

When will you be there, maybe I can sneak away for a couple hours.

madkiwi

I will be there from 9 am to about 12 pm. I will be the one wearing the olive "Peace through superior firepower" hat. If you can make it come and say hi.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#8]
cnorton,

I tried to email you and it bounced.

You forgot to mention which day!

madkiwi
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
cnorton,

I tried to email you and it bounced.

You forgot to mention which day!

madkiwi

madkiwi,

I will be there saturday. I updated my email addy so I should be able to recieve your email now.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top