Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2004 7:41:03 PM EDT
I GOT A DISSIPATOR UPPER TODAY WITH A ARMS #40 REAR SIGHT.  I WOULD LIKE SOME ADVISE AS TO WHAT KIND OF RED DOT SET UP I SHOULD GET.  THE FRONT POST IS SUPPOSE TO BE .040 TALLER THAN A REGULAR SIGHT POST(PER BUSHMASTER INFO).  I'M WONDERING IF THIS COULD CAUSE AN ISSUE.  ANY INPUT WOULD BE WELCOME.

THANKS,
THE NEW GUY,
DBAR
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I've mounted an Aimpoint, Reflex II and a Tri-power on my dissapator, if you use the ARMS mount for these scopes the small spacer will co-witness the aiming point with the front sight post. The full spacer puts the dot or chevron above the front sight post. For the Reflex you need the spacer to raise the dot/triangle. I have the taller front post in my AR as well. If you can zero the rifle at 50m without it don't worry about the front post. My front post was almost up out of the well so I went with the taller post. On my comp gun I have a front flip up post and a ARMS #40 at the back. I've lowered the front post until it has bottomed out and still I'm about 2" low at 50m. I'm going to have to mill the bottom of the post to drop it even more to raise the impact. I liked the aimpoint being co-witnessed but both the Tri-power and Reflex I had above the front post.
Hope this helps.

Lest We Forget.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The EoTech will cowitness without spacers. Just mount it on the flat top!
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Aimpoint
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#4]
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT.  I'LL POST AFTER THIS WEEKEND.  GOT SOME SHOPPING TO DO.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I WENT SHOPPING AND GOT TALKED INTO A BURRIS SPEED DOT 135.  IT COST A LITTLE LESS THAN THE AIM POINT.  I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF RISER OR SCOPE MOUNT TO USE ON MY A3 DISSIPATOR.  DOES ANYONE HAVE SOME ADVICE?

THANKS, I ALWAYS WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU GUYS WITH MORE EXPERIENCE THAN MYSELF.

DBAR
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Return the Burris - get your $$ back and buy the Aimpoint.  Its a better (more durable) sight, with a longer life and has a ton of mounting options - but the wise ones buy the LaRue mount.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]

HAVE YOU HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THE BURRIS SPEED DOT 135?  I KNOW THAT THE AIMPOINT IS MORE SOUND AND DESIGNED TO TAKE THE PUNISHMENT THAT ONE MIGHT GIVE IT IF ONE WAS IN THE MILITARY OR IN LE.  THE BURRIS SEEMED TO BE A LITTLE BRIGHTER, IT IS BIGGER IN DIAMETER(  35MM VS. 30MM - SO AQUISITION OF TARGETS COULD BE FASTER ), AND I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD COMPRAMISE GIVEN THAT THE PRICE WAS ABOUT $160.00 LESS.  I HAVE NOT MOUNTED IT YET, AND THERE IS STILL TIME FOR ME TO TAKE IT BACK.  PLEASE LET ME KNOW OF ANY INFO THAT YOU MAY HAVE ON THE BURRIS.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:57:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Any idea why the Dissy front sight post is higher than normal?  

Did Busmaster tell you this or was it on their website?

I have a Dissy and was just putting the barrel on a flat-top to mount an Aimpoint and am now wondering wondering if I will have any problems with this.  

Also, I got tired of the heavy barrel so I had it turned down to .700 diameter to lighten it up.  

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE WHY THE FRONT POST IS A BIT TALLER.  THEY HAD INFO ON THERE WEB SITE.  THE BEST I COULD GET OUT OF ONE OF THERE GUYS WAS THAT IT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH FLIP UP REAR SIGHTS.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#10]
 I KNOW I'LL TAKE SOME HEAT FROM SOME OF YOU GUYS FOR THIS ONE.

I PUT A BURRIS SPEED DOT 135 ON MY DISSIPATOR TODAY. IT COST ME 185.00 AND IT WORKS GREAT. I USED A 5/8" RISER FROM CMMG INC. AND IT COWITNESS'S AWESOMELY. ALOT OF YOU GUYS TOLD ME NOT TO GET THE BURRIS, BUT I DID AND I DON'T REGRET IT YET. I WENT TO THE RANGE AND SHOT 1.5" GROUPS @ 50 YDS, AND JUST UNDER 3" @ 100 YDS (SOME PRACTICE AND I'LL GET THEM SMALLER).  I'VE DONE BETTER WITH MY IRON SIGHTS BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT A RED DOT WAS DESIGNED FOR. BURRIS HAS A 35MM RETICLE SO FINDING THE TARGET WASN'T A PROBLEM. BOTH EYES OPEN, AND IMPRESSIVE GROUPS.
MY ADVICE IS NOT TO BE TO CHEAP WHEN IT COMES TO OPTICS, BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO WITH THE CROWD EITHER. THERE ARE SOME GOOD OPTICS OUT THERE FOR LESS THAN $200. IF YOU WANT QUALITY I WOULDN'T SPEND MUCH LESS.

http://www.bbqforumhosting.com/don/angle.jpghttp://www.bbqforumhosting.com/don/side.jpg
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks cool!

As long as it works, go with it.  Spend your money on ammo and practice now.  

I just put my cut down Dissy barrel on a flattop receiver and sighted it in today with the detach carry handle.  In a couple of days, I'll switch my Aimpoint and BUIS to it and try it.  

I lightened the barrel by 8 ounces by having it cut down.  It's really handy and light now.  

Good shooting.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top