Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/23/2004 6:34:57 AM EDT
I've been looking at these for a while...the price is right, and they just look so cool.  

For the folks that have them, how do they perform?  Pros and cons?  

My other decision is which reticle to get.  I like the look of the CQB on paper, but how is it in the real world?  The MP9 reticle seems to be nice and simple, which is always good.  I do not like the Dragunov reticle, so that one is out.  

Please, no "for only $3,000 more, you can have a Leupold extra super duty slicer/dicer julienne fry maker" kind of posts...I'd like to hear from the folks that actually OWN this scope.  Thanks!  
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 7:27:17 AM EDT
[#1]
These are all opinionated personal observations...ymmv

I have owned 4 ACOGs and had them since they first went into production...I have also owned a 6X
IOR (it didnt have enough eye relief for me...and I did not like the eyepiece or reticle)...I have also owned a Luepy CQT (nice scope...but too heavy)

Of these the ACOG TA-11 with the donut was my all time favorite..the IOR the least favorite...

I am hoping to see Luepold come up with something new...they promised to...and I suspect they will come up with a next gen that far surpasses their CQT...

As of now the ACOGs are at the top of the heap...IMO
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#2]
ACOGS are just not in my budget, even IF I could find them.  

I just looked through an ACOG the other day (only the 2nd one), and to be quite honest, I thought the glass was really cloudy.  It may be that this particular one was in dire need of a good lens cleaning, but I wasn't very impressed with it.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
ACOGS are just not in my budget, even IF I could find them.  

I just looked through an ACOG the other day (only the 2nd one), and to be quite honest, I thought the glass was really cloudy.  It may be that this particular one was in dire need of a good lens cleaning, but I wasn't very impressed with it.  

Not doubting anything you said, as anything is possible, but my ACOG NSN has some of the clearest optics I have ever looked through, and I own 4 other Leupold tactical scopes and two other Nikon scopes to compare it to.

I am also looking into an IOR M2 scope for price reasons and I like to try different items to see how they perform (regardless of popular opinion on this site - I like to form my own opinions IF the product shows some promise IMO).  I am about 99% sure I will be getting an IOR M2 scope, but I am stuck on the mounting system to use.
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#4]
mongo001, my guess is that guy's ACOG had a problem...I can't see everyone here being so high on them with that kind of glass.  

I just ordered an M2 last night, so I'll be able to give you a much better first hand opinion of them by next week.  I like to form my own opinions as well, within the scope of the limited budget I have.  Which reminds me..time to buy a lotto ticket lol.  

I guess I'll be the only one on the board with this scope, given the paucity of replies to this thread from other M2 owners.

Link Posted: 6/25/2004 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Which reminds me..time to buy a lotto ticket lol.

Don't bother.  We have a work pool going and my cut will be about $4 mil after taxes.

Looking forward to your review.  I'll probably get mine in a month or so.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#6]
So...how did the IOR M2  work for you fellows???
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#7]
My first discovery was that the rubber eyepiece is a piece of junk.  It never stayed in place so that I could put my eye up to the scope and see through it.  It always flexed and got in the way of the lens.  I removed it.  The only other bitch I could have about this scope is the short eye relief.  But I like nose-to-charging handle shooting and I set up the scope so that I could shoot like that, so it never was a problem for me.  It's a keeper in my book.  ACOG-like performance without the ACOG price tag.  It will never truly replace the ACOG line, but it will be more than adequate for the budget minded people.

Link Posted: 8/12/2004 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My first discovery was that the rubber eyepiece is a piece of junk.  It never stayed in place so that I could put my eye up to the scope and see through it.  It always flexed and got in the way of the lens.  I removed it.  The only other bitch I could have about this scope is the short eye relief.  But I like nose-to-charging handle shooting and I set up the scope so that I could shoot like that, so it never was a problem for me.  It's a keeper in my book.  ACOG-like performance without the ACOG price tag.  It will never truly replace the ACOG line, but it will be more than adequate for the budget minded people.

www.hunt101.com/img/189525.JPG

Cool. What type of mount?

The M2 has an illuminated battery powered retical, correct? Is the magnification variable? If so, how is it adjusted?

Link Posted: 8/12/2004 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure, but I think those are PRI 30mm high rings.

Yes, it has an illuminated reticle and the scope is 4X only.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I am a dealer/manufacturer of "AR`s" in Raleigh NC. I have used just about every optic I could lay my hands on over the past 8 years of doing this as abusiness and I can say with out question I love IOR products! That is not to say I have not found issue with some of them I sell a few of the M2 scopes every year the glass ir clear the BDC works preety well and the scope is preety much indestructable on my carbines and m4 guns I alternate between IOR products and acogs for 0 to 300 meters and meprollite and IOR`s for cqb work. I think any scope in this world can be found to have some issue or another it is the nature of mass production but I can say that I have never in 6 years had an IOR failure I cannot say that about any others including ACOG. I did notice you had the m2 mounted to a flat nop ar 20 " gun this may not have been the best choice might I recomend the 6x30 "SUPER M2" next time or the 2.5x10 with the MP8 or 9 reticle. Oh and by the way as a durability test to new customers i pound the scope on a table and let them look through it and then ask them to hand over ther exsisting acogs or leupolds so I can do the same I have not gotten any takers. Sorry for the long wind of this. Oh and I have to agree the eye piece sucks I pitch it right away.
Red
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#11]
 Get the 1.1-4x CQB, you know you want it.  Save up and have CS cut you a deal.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top