Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/10/2004 7:59:15 PM EDT
so after some searching around I have narrowed the selection of my first "good" magnified optic to the Nikon 4.5x14x40, Nikon 3x9x40 Buckmaster or Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40.  The most appealing thing about the Burris is the price and the spotting scope, but the bullet drop (is that what it is called) is nice............I think?  Both the Nikons are really nice and from what I can gather, on a different level then the Burris when it comes to clearity (I have only looked through the Nikons) but I'm bent on the decision of weather or not to do the 4.5x with the mil-dot or just the 3x with the Nikoplex.  Can someone please fill me in on the advantages of the mil-dot retical and I need the "Spoon fed" version.  It is pretty rough with the search function down and with no Optic oracle I have to ask the real "newbie" questions.  I don't know the importance of all the specs listed on the pages either so can someone also lay out what the numbers "really" mean in real world terms and why they are important. Thanks everyone!
***PLEASE CLICK LINK BELOW FOR RETICAL AND SPECS THAT I HAVE REFERRED TO ABOVE.
members.cox.net/mrrogers1/scopes.bmp

***All images and specs were obtain from www.riflescopes.com
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Well fellas, I stumbled upon this so I now know more then I'd ever imagined about the Mil-dot so I thought I should share and let everyone who might want to know also and didn't ask.  
www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=225&PN=1&TPN=1
I still need to know about all the other stuff but the mil-dot has been "learned"
I'm going to start a thread so everyone has a chance to see this if they might be wondering like I was.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:00:08 AM EDT
[#2]
IF your intention is long range shooting, 500-1000 yards, you'll need the mil-dots (not just for ranging). Depending on the caliber (which you neglected to mention) the mil-dots are quite helpful where windage is concerned, allowing for hold offs based on wind speed.

They also come in handy for expedient hold-off, pop one round, check the POI pick the mil-dot which comes closest to the POI, shift your aim to that mil-dot, as long as wind is consistent, your next rounds will be on target (rather simplified, but ya get the idea). This also works for hold overs should the situation not allow for time to "crank" in your elevation changes, of couse a come-up chart will be neccessary for the rifle and caliber your shooting, like this:

Come-ups in minutes for the 77grn SMKs out of the CR-6724s:
100 - zero
200 - 1 1/2 min
300 - 3 3/4 min
350 - 4 min
400 - 5 1/2 min
450 - 7 1/2 min
500 - 9 1/4 min
550 - 11 1/2 min
600 - 12 3/4 min
700 - 17 3/4 min
800 - 23 min
900 - no target
1000 - 35 1/2 min

BTW, Leupold is only name trusted by myself and most long range shooters.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks mr wilson, I plan on shooting no further then 600yds but I like your simplified answer.  I think I'm going to do a mil-dot scope for sure and it'll be the Nikon.  I can't afford a Leup in the mag that I would like, but maybe some day
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:46:41 AM EDT
[#4]
mil dots are tight for any distance...

theres no guessing
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]
A range finding reticle is, IMHO, invaluable. Not to mention (as already stated) the hold over capabilities.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top