Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 10:39:48 AM EDT
Looking to add a scope to an A3 flattop for only a few hundred USD's.  My search has yielded Bushnell and Tasco (I know, I know) mil dot scopes w/ some range finding capabilities.  I'm looking for suggestions recommendations for rings, magnification and about the mentioned brands as well as any other brands.  I'm looking for 100-300 in terms of range. Any help from the experts would be appreciated.
Q
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#1]
For flat-top mounting the Armalite one-piece scope mount is hard to beat.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#2]
The Armalite mounts are cheap and simple.  But they work!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]
why not jsut use regular rings and a riser?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The RRA one piece mount is just as solid as the Armalite, it's about 1/2 the price, and it'll raise the scope a lot higher if you need that, like to clear a #40.  

For a scope, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better than a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 with a mildot reticle for the money.  It's much better/clearer glass than the Super Sniper, and it's cheaper, even at full retail.  

The Bushnell 3200 3x9 is another one to look at...right around $200.  

You can get cheaper with a mildot, but they just aren't gonna be that good...you'll eventually want to replace them.  

The Nikon goes for around $275, and the RRA mount is around $40...check the EE, and you can find 'em used for less.  

That whole setup would be about $300, and would give you some pretty good glass and a very solid way to mount it.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies Gentlemen,
Keep Em' coming....
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#7]

why not jsut use regular rings and a riser?

Cheaper than a riser and rings.
Wider rings for more contact surface than most rings.
Less screws to shoot loose.
Already at the right height without doing any math
Extends the front ring out beyond the receiver for extra eye relief.
Looks better.
Weighs less.

I dunno, it just seems that, if it's designed for and works really well with the AR15, then why not use it.

I use the RRA version myself.  Payed all of $40 for it.  Works like a charm.

BTW, can someone with an Armalite mount tell me what the minimum required mounting area is?  I know that's not the technical term, but what's the distance between the two rings including the rings.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top