Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2004 5:50:08 PM EDT
Recently bought a 16" Bushmaster and am looking to mount a scope to aid in coyote hunting, BTW, I'm totally new to AR's.

I have the "piggy-back" scope mount that attaches to the carry handle, but this raises the scope too high.  What other options do I have that will work with the factory front sight post?

All replies welcome.

Thanks,
sab-

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, welcome to the site

Is your carry handle removable? If not, one of the best carry handle scope mounts for conventional optics is the ARMS #2. Here it is on one of my ARs:

In order to get a proper cheekweld with this setup I had to put a cheekpiece on the buttstock, otherwise the scope would sit too high:

If you want to mount a red dot scope like an Aimpoint or EOTech you can use a gooseneck mount that will hang the optic in front of the handle and lower, putting it in line with the iron sights.

If your carry handle is removable, mounting an optic directly to the receiver rather than to the carry handle is the best choice for a number of reasons. Compare the optics height over bore in the pic above with this pic:

See the difference? Being closer to the bore axis is a better choice
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:10:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.  I do have a flattop rifle, so mounting the optic directly to the receiver is no problem.  I'm thinking the front sight post will interfere with the optics if they are mounted directly to the receiver, am I correct?

I also have one of the carry handle scope mount, but feel this is too high.  I guess I could try something to make the comb higher, but would rather keep the stock as is and adjust the scope mounting height.

sab-

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:40:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  I do have a flattop rifle, so mounting the optic directly to the receiver is no problem.  I'm thinking the front sight post will interfere with the optics if they are mounted directly to the receiver, am I correct?

I also have one of the carry handle scope mount, but feel this is too high.  I guess I could try something to make the comb higher, but would rather keep the stock as is and adjust the scope mounting height.

sab-

Most magnified optics see "through" the front site base. The scope on the shorter carbine I pictured above is right in line with the front sight base, but I can't see it
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top